“Beautiful room”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Our stay at the Cedar Court was perfect. We were given a spacious corner room that was elegantly furnished. The room was spotless. The beds were comfortable. Upon checking in we realized that the television didn't work. I called to report that problem. I had barely hung up the phone when a young man knocked at the door and quickly solved the problem by replacing the remote control.

The location is ideal. A very short walk from the train station. Across the street from "the wall". A comfortable stroll to The Shambles. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a great review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

It’s pleasing to read that you especially liked your room and that a member of our team was quickly on hand to rectify the fault with your television.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Write a ReviewReviews (4,096)

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was a last minute unexpected trip after a holiday in Northumberland! It also coincided with a celebration for our Anniversary.

The hotel has an imposing facade and position, one block down from the river. The car was emptied and whisked away without incident, check-in was easy, friendly and efficient.

Our room was very spacious, spotlessly clean and came complete with sticky, sugary treats. Cocktails in the bar were delicious, which set us up for a walk around town, before a very pleasant dinner.

The very comfortable bed made for a great stop-over and ensured we left refreshed ready for the 3 hour journey home.

We will definitely be back, but next time, we shall make it a "proper trip" and linger for longer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Prongs
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

A new five star hotel (the only one in York) in an old building. The hotel is decorated to very high standard, the staff are endlessly capable, helpful, pleasant, efficient -not unctuous, but just really proud of their hotel and determined that you will enjoy your time with them. The service is truly great and nothing is too much for them - including teaching me to operate my rental car which had features I was unfamiliar with. The hotel itself is a joy. Modern appointments in a well conserved building let's you enjoy the old, comfortable, familiar but with wi-fi, meeting rooms etc. The rooms are very comfortable, and if you can try for one of the junior suites - lots of room, a bathroom to die for, a seperate seating area and such a comfortable bed .... The restaurant has had the same eye for detail brought to all aspects of it, from the menu and preparation, to the serving of your choice of delicious dishes. Good food in a lovely place with excellent service. The spa has everything you would expect and has been thought through with your comfort in mind. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, it's staff and I know you will be very well looked after there.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout and in particular enjoyed your time spent in our Spa and Restaurant.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

We recently stayed in this hotel for our wedding anniversary (20 yrs) the hotel was lovely and well situated for a visit to York, but overpriced for what it offered. My husband had asked and paid for strawberries and champagne to be in our room on arrival as a surprise for myself, unfortunately they were not there, he then had to tell me, no more surprise! He went to reception to let them know, the young lady apologised but then said “well check in is 3pm” but we had checked in early at 2.30pm but they had said our room was ready!! He told her we would be going for a walk and be back at 5pm when she assured him they would be in the room waiting for us on our return. Once again no champagne or strawberries, yet again he told reception, yet again they apologised, and they did eventually arrive about 6pm. Also the wardrobe that held the robes had a very bad smell (bit like wet washing left in the washing machine) another apology, and they did change the robes, and the smell went.
We had booked in for dinner at 8pm and the whole the experience was all over by 8.50pm!! The food was lovely, but never ever have we had canapés, starter, main and a bottle of wine in less than an hour, it was so rushed we ended taking our wine on the terrace just so we could sit back and relax while finishing our wine. I think this hotel needs to take a step back and look at the customer service. Next time we visit York we will be looking at another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JanetRobison

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us.
May I first of all take this opportunity in wishing you a belated Happy 20th Anniversary. What a fantastic occasion to celebrate!

I am naturally disappointed that a couple if shortfalls in service over shadowed your stay with us.

It is a great shame that due to what appears to be a communication breakdown on our part, your surprise Champagne and Strawberries arrived late. I will follow this up immediately and speak to the relevant personnel within the hotel to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

With regards to your dinner in our Grill Room Restaurant, 50 minutes does sound a little quick to have started and finished 2 courses and canapés and be then sat out on our Ruinart Champagne Terrace. Whilst I am presuming our service was efficient, our team can only serve and clear dishes as quickly as they are eaten. We of course aim to deliver a very high standard of service in our Restaurant and enjoying a meal in a relaxing environment of course fits in to this category. I will pass your comments on to our Restaurant team for their perusal.

Whilst we are a Hotel aspiring for 5*, unfortunately on occasions we can get it wrong as naturally the hotel is operationally managed and run by people who make mistakes. As you will see from hundreds of previous Trip Advisor reviews on the Cedar Court Grand, we have been praised on our service and hospitality and do get it right 99% of the time.

If on your next visit to York you change you mind and would like to give us another opportunity to show that we are the best Hotel in the city, please contact me direct before your arrival: graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

The service as a whole was great! The staff were very friendly and ensured that we were happy at all times. Our bedroom was the executive bedroom which was very spacious with nice decor. (If I had to be fussy, there was a stain on the bed throw which I would not expect from a 5*) I would also 100% recommend the spa! The treatments are relaxing and the pool area had soft lighting to unwind. I would definitely visit again with it only being a 5 minute walk into the city center but only if I could find a good offer. I also recommend Betty's tea room for afternoon tea!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BbEeTtHh

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout and in particular enjoyed your time spent in our Spa.

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend our own Afternoon Tea offering which we serve daily in the hotel at 1pm, 3pm and 5pm in our HQ Restaurant. I can assure you it is a 5* offering in a 5* environment.

I will pass on your comments to our Housekeeping team. It is only be receiving feedback such as this that we can perfect our service standards.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

Cedar court is York's only 5 star hotel and I was intrigued to see how they had achieved this rating. What I saw during my conference day and overnight stay was faultless. The hotel has a fantastic position near the railway station and five minutes from the city centre. The building is magnificent and has been sympathetically converted with wide staircases and corridors and very generous and well appointed rooms. The food is excellent but what really stands out is the service. Always ready to help without being overbearing, tending to anticipate guest needs rather than waiting to be asked. This is the only hotel where I have been followed outside (early morning cigarette) and offered free coffee. Cheap? No. Expensive? Not for what you get. Thoroughly recommended and possibly better than my favorite York hotel, Middlethorpe Hall. Will definitely be back

• Stayed: September 2011
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2011

Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout and appreciated the decor and style of the Grade II former North Eastern Railway HQ.

The service which you have mentioned is exactly the high standard to which we always aim to deliver and it’s most satisfying when it is noticed. We have a great team here who are, as I always say the Hotel's greatest asset.

On behalf of myself and the whole team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 8 September 2011

what a fantastic break we had for our wedding anniversary, the hotel, staff and the city were amazing. From the moment we arrived to our departure the service we received was 5 star, nothing was to much trouble and the room was perfect and we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank garry t
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011