I booked into cedar court as a treat for my boyfriend following the great north run.
On arrival we spent approximately 25 minutes 'proving' I had paid for the room in advance- and when it did transpire that the systems were incorrect there was little in way of apology. I then had to point out that they had given me someone elses check in information (twice!). I appreciate that there are of course going to be the occasional errors in systems but from a customer perspective this wasn't handled well.
Our room was lovely, spacious and comfortable with a huge bed. We were both looking forward to a bath as were aching after the great north run - unfortunately we couldn't get the hot water to work so we rang reception. We were then told that yes there was a problem with the hot water and we would have to hour. Again, whilst I accept that there are going to be occasional unavoidable problems in a hotel I felt the way this was handled was poor. For example as a minimum We weren't told at check- in of the problems . I did politely explain to the receptionist that I didn't feel that a lack of hot water was really acceptable - a weak apology followed.
I strongly believe you should give people the opportunity to turn a bad service experience around and feel I did this by explaining I didn't feel the level of service was acceptable. A simple measure such as complimentary drink in the bar would have meant we left the hotel happier and I would have been writing a different review!
I won't be staying at cedar court again and soley because of their lack of customer focus I would encourage others to look elsewhere too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prestigia, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa