“Lovely room- disappointing service”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
“Lovely room- disappointing service”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I booked into cedar court as a treat for my boyfriend following the great north run.

On arrival we spent approximately 25 minutes 'proving' I had paid for the room in advance- and when it did transpire that the systems were incorrect there was little in way of apology. I then had to point out that they had given me someone elses check in information (twice!). I appreciate that there are of course going to be the occasional errors in systems but from a customer perspective this wasn't handled well.

Our room was lovely, spacious and comfortable with a huge bed. We were both looking forward to a bath as were aching after the great north run - unfortunately we couldn't get the hot water to work so we rang reception. We were then told that yes there was a problem with the hot water and we would have to hour. Again, whilst I accept that there are going to be occasional unavoidable problems in a hotel I felt the way this was handled was poor. For example as a minimum We weren't told at check- in of the problems . I did politely explain to the receptionist that I didn't feel that a lack of hot water was really acceptable - a weak apology followed.

I strongly believe you should give people the opportunity to turn a bad service experience around and feel I did this by explaining I didn't feel the level of service was acceptable. A simple measure such as complimentary drink in the bar would have meant we left the hotel happier and I would have been writing a different review!

I won't be staying at cedar court again and soley because of their lack of customer focus I would encourage others to look elsewhere too.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Lou0509
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following what was clearly a disappointing stay with us.

It is a great shame that the positive views of the majority of our guests were not shared with that of your own.

I will be following up on the points that you have raised in your review with the appropriate personnel in the Hotel. We do not wish for any of our guests to leave feeling dissatisfied and I only wish you had raised your disappointment with our Duty Manager at the time. I am quite confident that had you have done this, you would have left feeling a lot happier.

I am naturally disappointed that because of 1 member of our team falling short on what is usually a very high standard of customer service that you would not return to us.
Should of course you change your mind and wish to give the Cedar Court Grand a 2nd chance, please contact me prior to your arrival on graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grenoble, France
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I have for many years stayed at the Royal York hotel just over the road but am very glad I tried the Cedar Court for a change. The service from arrival at the front door was excellent where I was taken to my room and shown how all the gadgets worked. The rooms are to an extremely high standard, spacious, very clean and even tidied whilst I was out for the evening, Molton Brown products, under floor heating in the bathroom, lovely thick towels, quiet, free wifi etc...
The only downside was at breakfast when I had to wait for a table and I wasn't surprised when I saw the size of the room in relation to the size of the hotel.
Nonetheless an excellent luxurious stay, very good value for money and I look forward to returning to York!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank John07358
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout and in particular liked your bedroom and the luxury amenities within.

On behalf of myself and the whole team here at The Grand, York, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Beautiful bar and dinning room, very jolly cocktails and a very tasty meal. The staff are all very good, friendly and discreet. The room was elegant and we had a lovely sleep. The location is excellent. A little bit quiter on the south of the river but very close to the bridge to walk across to the bright lights.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout and in particular enjoyed your time in our Cocktail Bar and Grill Room Restaurant.

On behalf of myself and the team we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Dumfries Scotland
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We have just had a two night stay in this hotel.What a great place to stay.I am sure the staff a all hand picked for the job everyone was so nice.Our room was huge and the spa is wonderful.I do hope we can go back soon.The only place to stay in York.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and have also given special mention to our staff who of course are all very passionate and proud to be part of the team here at The Cedar Court Grand.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Our stay at the Cedar Court was perfect. We were given a spacious corner room that was elegantly furnished. The room was spotless. The beds were comfortable. Upon checking in we realized that the television didn't work. I called to report that problem. I had barely hung up the phone when a young man knocked at the door and quickly solved the problem by replacing the remote control.

The location is ideal. A very short walk from the train station. Across the street from "the wall". A comfortable stroll to The Shambles. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a great review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

It’s pleasing to read that you especially liked your room and that a member of our team was quickly on hand to rectify the fault with your television.

Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was a last minute unexpected trip after a holiday in Northumberland! It also coincided with a celebration for our Anniversary.

The hotel has an imposing facade and position, one block down from the river. The car was emptied and whisked away without incident, check-in was easy, friendly and efficient.

Our room was very spacious, spotlessly clean and came complete with sticky, sugary treats. Cocktails in the bar were delicious, which set us up for a walk around town, before a very pleasant dinner.

The very comfortable bed made for a great stop-over and ensured we left refreshed ready for the 3 hour journey home.

We will definitely be back, but next time, we shall make it a "proper trip" and linger for longer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Prongs
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 September 2011

A new five star hotel (the only one in York) in an old building. The hotel is decorated to very high standard, the staff are endlessly capable, helpful, pleasant, efficient -not unctuous, but just really proud of their hotel and determined that you will enjoy your time with them. The service is truly great and nothing is too much for them - including teaching me to operate my rental car which had features I was unfamiliar with. The hotel itself is a joy. Modern appointments in a well conserved building let's you enjoy the old, comfortable, familiar but with wi-fi, meeting rooms etc. The rooms are very comfortable, and if you can try for one of the junior suites - lots of room, a bathroom to die for, a seperate seating area and such a comfortable bed .... The restaurant has had the same eye for detail brought to all aspects of it, from the menu and preparation, to the serving of your choice of delicious dishes. Good food in a lovely place with excellent service. The spa has everything you would expect and has been thought through with your comfort in mind. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, it's staff and I know you will be very well looked after there.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout and in particular enjoyed your time spent in our Spa and Restaurant.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.