“Bliss, bliss, bliss - worth every penny.”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Cardiff
“Bliss, bliss, bliss - worth every penny.”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Wonderful hotel. I booked the classic room but they upgraded to the next grade up. Lovely spacious room with a large bathroom - and views of the city walls. Most comfortable bed in the world with good quality linen and fluffy towels. High quality toiletries and tea/coffee/chocolate.

I ordered room service, which was fantastic! I didn't fancy anything on the menu and they arranged to cook me something else without any fuss. It arrived on a table-clothed trolley which converted into a table - decorated with flowers and a candle. I also ordered breakfast in my room - and it was excellent. The trolley contained a 'hot box' to keep my toast lovely and warm.

All the food was delicious - high quality and beautifully cooked.

I also used the pool and spa area, spotlessly clean and a lovely tranquil space - hotel pools are often chilly, but this was nice and warm.

Location is very convenient, near the train station and city centre. When I win the lottery - I'll be moving in!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa following your recent stay wit us.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout and were able to take advantage of some of our great in house facilities such as our In Room Dining offering and Spa.

On behalf of the entire team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I visited this hotel with a friend, intending to stay for 3 nights. We were both impressed by the friendliness and genuine welcome we got from every single member of staff. The room was very comfortable and on the ground floor there are a number of lounges in which to enjoy a cup of tea or a drink. Our meal in the restaurant was delicious and beautifully presented. We had pre-paid for dinner, bed and breakfast and were half expecting a special reduced menu, but in fact were able to choose freely from the a la carte menu.

This hotel really came into its own on the first morning, however, when we were forced to cut short our stay as the result of a bereavement. The receptionist looked up train times for us, everyone was very sympathetic, and our unused second and third nights were refunded to us without our having asked for this.

Please visit this hotel if you are in York - it is not a cheap hotel, but the standards of service and the genuine welcome offered make it a star in my book.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jdw375
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us.

On behalf of us all at the hotel, our condolences on your family bereavement.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and obviously sympathise that you had to cut your stay short under difficult circumstances.

It's pleasing to read that you enjoyed your time in the restaurant and have also given special mention to our team who looked after you so well.

We hope to welcome you back to us in the future.

Tennessee
Reviewed 21 September 2011

The Cedar Court is located in an imposing facade that was once part of the headquarters of British rail (or so I was told). Whatever the case, it is an impressive building that is conveniently located between the train station and the old city of York. The facade gives one the impression that the rooms will be appointed in a Victorian style, but nothing could be further from the truth. The rooms are huge, with high ceilings and they are very modern. The bathroom was huge for a hotel and, interestingly, it was divided into two parts. As you entered the room through a short hallway there was a half bath (actually it was bigger than most bathrooms) and then adjacent to the bed was another large bath with the shower and tub. I particularly liked the rain shower. The breakfast buffet was excellent and it gave me a good head start on the day. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but it was clear that they weren't at the top of their game. It wasn't a big deal but I did get the impression that they needed a bit more experience, particularly since they work in such an impressive hotel. Overall, I have a very good impression of the Cedar Court and I will stay there again on my next trip to York.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Glucan
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout and in particular liked you bedroom and the Continental Breakfast offering that is served daily in our Restaurant.

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Reservations staff shockingly unprofessional and disorganised. It would appear they are not interested in local custom and attempt to be as unhelpful as possible. Myself and my partner attempted to make a group booking for a very special occasion. We met with a member of staff on three occasions, emailed twice, left messages at the desk on more than four occasions and it took over two months for the reservations office to get back in touch when their response was ''sorry, we are unable to offer any sort of group booking, the only rate we could offer you is the best available rack rate for the dates requested''. We had waited two months for this, put off other hotels and had set our hearts on staying there. Needless to say we are very disappointed with this hotel for leading us on and now i feel i never want to set foot in the place again. I just hope they don't do this to any body else in the future

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrJ394
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your communications with our in house Reservations Team.

I am very disappointed to read of your frustrations .It is not often The Hotel receives reviews of this nature posted on to Trip Advisor.

Our in house Reservations team deal with hundreds of enquiries a week and we always try our best to deliver the highest standards of customer service.

If what you have written is correct, I am most saddened that it took this long for a member of our team to respond to your enquiry. It’s also unfortunate that the rates that you were quoted were not favourable to you personally.

On behalf of us all here at The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa, I would like to again express our apologies that you were left feeling this unhappy and disgruntled. Please rest assured, we aspire for levels and standards of service to be 5 star and from the majority of feedback we receive both on Trip advisor and other channels, it is.

Preston Lancs
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Really lovely hotel in a great location. Agree with everything positive written on here. It doesn't get much better than the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and York is incredible.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Sunderland
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I booked this hotel for a wedding anniversary weekend in York on the 3rd September and found it to be a great choice - I had called earlier in the week and booked a specific room which I had been advised to stay in, unfortunately when we arrived we were put into a different room so this was the only negative - I did inform the lady on reception and she did say if I was unhappy with my room I could be moved but to be honest the room we were put into was lovely so could not really complain. I had requested for Champagne and strawberrys in the room which were there on arrival along with a card from the hotel congratulating us on our anniversary which was a lovely touch as I cannot recall even telling them it was our anniversary! Staff were very professional and the hotel itself very well finished - As there is so much to do in York we really didn't spend much time in the hotel so cannot remark on the spa but when we visit again we will be making use of this - overall exactly what you would expect from a hotel of this quality

Dear Guest

My I start by giving my bleated wishes to you both on your Wedding Anniversary. I’m delighted that you chose to spend it with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay throughout and that you liked your room, even though it was not the specific one that you had requested. Unfortunately the hotel cannot guarantee a particular bedroom number on all occasions, however we will always do our best to cater for and accommodate any individualpreferences.

There certainly is a lot to do and see in the Historic City of York. Naturally, I do hope you have time to visit our Spa, located in the Whisper quiet vaults of the hotel on your next visit.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

wow, now this is some hotel... the hotel chain is fortunate to have such a lovely building and boy, they have made the most of it. It oozes luxury from the moment the doormen usher you into the grand entrance. The public rooms mix luxury with cosiness, very comfortable indeed and the staff are very competent and discreet and in all the staff make you feel very welcome, very friendly and helpful. the room was lovely, and the bathrooms very well appointed with gorgeous underfloor heating in the bathrooms. The hotel owners have obviously spent a lot of money on this refurbishment and it shows... I have stayed here again on the strength of my first visit, again it lived up to my first impressions and I shall look no further than this hotel for any future stays in York.

Room Tip: email the hotel and ask for a room with a view of the walls or the minster - the staff will accommod...