“Would have been perfect if they'd got the room meal right”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 29 October 2011

My partner and I had a weekend in York, staying in the Cedar Court. Upon arrival the staff were courteous and friendly, with the receptionist showing us to our room. The room itself was very nice - spacious, clean, well presented, excellent facilities, which is what we expected for the price really.

Note, they have no parking spaces of their own and will park your car for you in the nearby NCP facility, but at £20 a day, it's expensive.

On the first night we ordered an in-room meal - a rib-eye steak for me and fish dish for my partner. However, a rib-eye burger turned up and when I pointed out they'd brought the wrong dish, the waiter took the burger away and said the steak would be 10 minutes. He left the fish dish in our room under a dome cover. But the steak was over 20 minutes, and by the time they brought it, my partner's meal was almost cold. Not the perfect start to our stay, and maybe we should have complained, but we were too tired from the journey and just wanted a quiet, relaxing evening, so we let it go.

The rest of our stay was great. The spa was fantastic, though the jacuzzi was out of action the first day. We didn't do any treatments though, they were pretty pricey. The service throughout our stay was excellent, and I'd definitely recommend the full english breakfast - top class!

A super stay, marred only by the meal in our room. I'd go again for sure.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operarions Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2011

Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted overall that you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular our Spa, located in the former whisper quiet vaults of the former Great North Eastern Railway HQ.

Car Parking - we do of course begrudge having to pass on the 3rd party car parking charges, however the hotel does not in any way profit from this. To inform guests prior to arrival this charge is indeed mentioned on booking confirmation, our own website and all 3rd party booking web sites.
The Hotel is conveniently located a stones throw away from the station, walking distance to the city centre and a short bus / taxi ride to the race course. Perhaps on your next visit to York, a train could be an alternative mode of transport for you to utilise as car parking charges in any city centre are usually high.

In Room Dining – I am disappointed to read that the meal and service you received was not to our usual high standards. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team. It is only by receiving feedback such as this, that we can put measures in place to prevent a re-occurrence and improve our service.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

We have been to York many times and this is by far the best hotel we have stayed in.From the moment we got out of our car the service and attention to detail was first class. We stayed in a classic double room which was spacious, beautifully appointed and very clean.
The concierge team ensured that any questions we had were dealt with efficiently and always with a smile. The food was excellent and the service in the restaurant was of a high standard. It was clear that customer service was a priority. Valet parking is provided and whilst this is a nice addition it is, at £20 per 24 hrs, a little on the pricey side. The Cedar Court will definately be our hotel of choice when next in York. It is perfectly located for all attractions.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2011

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

The Hotel is conveniently located a stones throw away from the station, walking distance to the city centre and a short bus / taxi ride to the race course. Perhaps on your next visit to us, a train could be an alternative mode of transport for you to utilise as car parking charges in any city centre are usually high.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

We recently held our marriage ceremony, wedding breakfast and reception at the Cedar Court Grand. My wife and I along with some members of our family took suites and other guests took a further 19 rooms. The organisation of the event and the service from the staff, both in the planning and on the day itself, were excellent and greatly contributed to an extremely happy day.

All of our guests who stayed at the hotel have told us how highly they rated the quality of their rooms. Positive comments about their cleanliness, decor, high-spec finishes and comfort were especially common. The suites were suitably grand, spacious and very comfortable.

The food on the day was excellent along with the meals we had in the bar and from room service. The spa facilities are great and proved very relaxing.

We would recommend the Cedar Court Grand in York to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your wedding stay throughout, as did all of your guests.

I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all of our team who were involved in the meticulous planning and delivery of your special day.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future; perhaps anniversaries to come?

Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed one night with a friend and although the hotel has been refurbished to a good standard, the service let the hotel down.

There had been an error (not on our part), with the booking of a twin room, we were given a double room. When we queried it we were then offered a twin room with disabled facilities. We viewed the room having been told that it was just as nice but "with a smaller sink and extra wiring", it was actually without a bath. This stay was booked as a well earned treat and the fact that we were a little disappointed was dismissed by the manager who could only offer us a bottle of wine as compensation.

We accepted this as it was too late for us to book into another hotel (the manager was happy to do this for us after approx an hour of looking into the error). We reluctantly stayed in a double room (manager stated "he could not upgrade us at the rate we paid"). It should not matter how much we paid, if they make an error they should rectify it to the customers satisfaction.

We paid £20.00 for valet parking. On departing, we noticed the seats had been moved and the radio channel changed. Not good.

On the positive side, the room was nice enough, not as luxurious as other 5 star hotels I've stayed at but nice enough. Bathroom was lovely. Breakfast - no problems and the staff were excellent there. Porter - excellent. Room service - excellent.

All in all, if you want to feel like a valued customer do not come to this hotel. You are just a name on a booking form and if problems arise the management will not accept responsibility (blaming web-site or us). It spoiled our stay at the Cedar Court and we felt very let down.

Room Tip: Building work opposite one side of the building.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Truffle4

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am naturally disappointed by some of your comments and will endeavour to answer your frustrations as best I can.

With regards to your bedroom booking - some 3rd party booking correspondence does not always specify room type and quite often will just state twin / double. This is not the Hotel blaming another party, but just merely a reason for why this, on occasion does happen. Of course our team will endeavour to allocate an alternative bedroom should there be one suitable available. Unfortunately, this is not always possible when the hotel is fully occupied.
I have spoken to the Duty Manager in question to gain more feedback. He has assured me that he did indeed give you options and again, could only offer what was available. The gesture of a complimentary bottle of wine was simply a good will gesture so from this, I would disagree on your point of him being dismissive. The Duty Manager acknowledged your problem and did everything he possibly could to resolve it.

Car Parking - we do of course begrudge having to pass on the 3rd party car parking charge, however the hotel does not in any way profit from this. To inform guests prior to arrival this charge is indeed mentioned on booking confirmation, our own website and all 3rd party booking web sites.

I will pass on your comments about the change of radio station to our Head Concierge. Of course, this is not something that should happen so if it has, please accept my apologies. The seat may have had to have been moved to accommodate the valet driver parking your vehicle who may have been either taller or shorter than yourself.

I am pleased that the other elements of your stay met your high expectations. I would finally like to add that all of our guests are treated as individuals and the team here at The Grand will go out of their way to meet and surpass all of our guests needs when needed. No guest is just a name on a booking form.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

I do not feel the need to write a lengthy review about this hotel other than to say it's truly fantastic. Without doubt the best hotel in York (and i've stayed in lots). Ideal location, luxury spa, immaculate rooms & excellent service. I enjoyed my last stay so much I have already booked to return. I do not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone considering a luxury stay in York.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and that you have already rebooked.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Top level service, carefully restored building, rooms exquisite and customer service second to none. Worth the expense and the location is ideal for the centre of York. Valet parking is included although you have to pay for it (NCP) £20 for 24 hours. Would not hesitate in recommending or returning. Easily one of the best. Middlethorpe Hall is nice but this is much more upmarket.

Room Tip: go for the executive room. Only slightly more expensive but much bigger
1  Thank basnettma
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

NCP - we do of course begrudge having to pass on the 3rd party car parking charges, however the hotel does not in any way profit from this. Station Rise in which the hotel is situated is a private road in which the Hotel hires the spaces, regrettably passing on this charge to our guests.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Great Hotel, recently opened and well restructured in a previous office building of the 19 century, large rooms clean and well furbished .
We enjoyed the central location, the excellent service, the good spa.
Honestly, we liked the luxurios towels and blankets, a real delight at the touch.
No negative remarks.
Hotel is good for business too.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michele_The_Cix
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manger at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011