“Service and staff attitude let this hotel down”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
ireland
“Service and staff attitude let this hotel down”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I recently stayed in an Executive room for two nights and we left feeling disappointed. Over the course of our weekend we spent almost £700 in the hotel (room, room service, afternoon tea, dinner, bar drinks etc etc) and we felt short changed due to the poor and neglectful manner of some members of staff.

The room was reasonably spacious, not the nicest room we have ever stayed in but the bathroom was lovely, very spacious. We ordered room service when we arrived, we both had the steak burger and it was very good, but unfortunately the best thing we ate in the hotel.

On the Saturday morning we tried to book in for afternoon tea. Our enquiry was met with a disgusted look when we explained we had not pre-booked. The member of staff dealing with us made such a song and dance about being fully booked up but eventually "squeezed" us in for the 3pm sitting. When we had our afternoon tea at 3pm the dining room was half empty the entire time, to be honest I was left feeling very angry at this treatment. Our waiter was extremely inattentive and the service was certainly not five star standard. Our advice is to avoid afternoon tea in the hotel, there are much better establishments in York where you will have a far superior experience. On the Sunday we had afternoon tea in Bettys and it was fantastic.

The same moody member of staff who "done us a favour squeezing us in for afternoon tea", also "squeezed us in for dinner that evening. This was one of the most disappointing meals we have ever had, again definitely not five star quality. The restaurant lacks atmosphere and ambience, however the service was a reasonably good experience.

There is absolutely no atmosphere in the hotel bar but we enjoyed our own company and the bar staff were quite attentive. We did notice that the same CD was constantly on repeat through-out afternoon tea and in the bar, all day and night, over and over again!

Overall we had a wonderful weekend in York and we will definitely return but will stay elsewhere. The Cedar Court Grand is by no means five star. The accommodation may be ok but they really need to work on the little details that are so important.

2 Thank redwineIreland
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us.
It’s a great shame to read that you felt let down with some service elements of your stay, along with some interior decor topics.

I’m glad that you liked your bedroom and enjoyed your In Room Dining experience, one of many great facilities on offer within the hotel.

The hotel regularly receives praise both verbally and written including on Trip Advisor regarding the friendly and professional approach of our team. I’m sorry that you did not share this view with regards to one member of our team. I am sure he / she was trying to be helpful and accommodate your requirements. I am pleased of course that we were able to accommodate you at short notice for both our afternoon tea offering and dinner, despite the fact you had not pre booked for what are both very popular events.

Both our Restaurant and Cocktail Bar have been extremely well decorated in keeping with the hotel’s style and class. The ambience, mood and decor of the bar is to a discerning taste and our Grill Room Restaurant mirrors this, along with views of the city wall. Again, it’s disappointing to read that this was not to your personal taste. I’m pleased that our ever efficient team were attentive throughout.

It’s again disappointing to read that you will not be returning to us on your next visit to York. Although you feel you had a negative stay, it is disappointing that you chose not to contact a Duty Manager at the time or following your stay. Although in your personal opinion the hotel is not worthy of 5 stars, we are working with the AA to ensure we are just that very soon, thus meaning officially we will be Yorks’ 1st and only 5 star establishment. Should of course you prefer to stay in one of York’s neighbouring 4 star establishments, this is entirely your decision to make and one that we would respect.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed at the hotel during October half term with my partner on a spa package. The hotel on the whole is really grand and definitely feels 5 star. It is really centrally located so great for exploring York and taking a walk on the city wall. The spa is really good and we both had a massage which we both enjoyed. Afternoon tea was brilliant and I definitely recommend - as was the breakfast in the morning which had brilliant choice of cooked breakfasts. However for a 5 star, very expensive hotel there were bad points I would not expect. Upon booking the package we were offered an upgrade to an executive room for £30, which while the room was huge and beautiful, I was disappointed that although we had booked a double, the bed was two single beds pushed together to make a double, each with a separate duvet - which wasn't great for a couple on romantic break. There was a bulb missing from one of the bed side lamps. We were put in room that was adapted so it was suitable for disabled use which in the bathroom was a bit of a hindrance as the seat in the the shower was in the way while showering, the sink was so low it hurt my back to have to bend over to wash my face in it. and while it is a small thing - the red cords all around the bathroom did ruin the look of it.

I did try to leave these comments on the pad provided in the room but the pad they provide for comments was shiny which meant the pen couldn't write on it which was highly frustrating!

However on the whole the hotel was brilliant, they even made the room available to us 2 hours before check in as we had told them we would be arriving early for our spa day. But I guess I was just expecting not to have any negative comments on a 5 star grand hotel.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted on the whole, you enjoyed your stay, including your treatments in the Spa, Afternoon Tea and Breakfast.

With regards to your bedroom:
In the hotel we do have a number of versatile beds. These are beds that fasten securely together to make either a King bed or 2 singles, allowing us to be more flexible for guests needs. We try our upmost to ensure that when every booking is taken, a suitable bed is provided. Given your description and subsequent disappointment, I apologise that this obviously wasn’t ideal for yourself.

With the size of the building, the hotel has thousands of light bulbs which naturally we will replace as soon as we notice they are blown. I’m sorry on this occasion the bulb on your bedside lamp was missing. Of course should you have reported this to reception at the time, this minor shortfall could have been quickly and easily rectified.

Like most hotels, we are disabled friendly and we do have several bedrooms that are equipped with facilities that you have mentioned to meet the needs of disabled guests. I’m sorry that some of these facilities proved a hindrance in your bedroom and would like to add that they are put there for purpose, not to enhance the appearance of the bedroom.
I will look in to the comment card and pen issue that you have raised. I have not heard of this before but thank you for brining this to my attention.

I’m glad that you were able to check in to your room 2 hours early to accommodate your Spa treatments. We will also do this where possible at no extra charge.

I would like to end by saying that it is only by receiving constructive comments through guest feedback that we can strive to continually improve upon our quality of service. Although aspiring for 5 star status, we are by no means perfect. Who is?

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

England, UK
Reviewed 31 October 2011

What can I say? Absolutely 1st class.
Stayed for 2 nights end of October in a master suite.
Location excellent, service excellent, pool, jacuzzi etc excellent, breakfast excellent.
Will be going back as there is so much to see in york and this is certainly the place to stay!

• Stayed October 2011

Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Our weekend stay at The Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa in York was a very enjoyable experience. All of the staff were extremely friendly, efficient and helpful and made our time in York such a relaxing and enjoyable time.

The bedroom was very comfortable and provided us will everything that we required. It was finished to a very high standard and as with all of the hotel, great care and attention has been given to merging the character and architecture of the original building with the needs of a modern hotel.

The food was excellent and our decision to partake of the 'InRoom' service on Saturday evening was added to by the way the meal was presented to us.

The treatment and service in The Spa was very pleasant and relaxing.

A number of years ago we visited York but were unable to find a hotel of the quality we desired and our experience of that hotel certainly tainted our impression of York as a place to visit. However, our time at The Grand has changed that opinion and we look forward to visiting the city again.

The hotel was very convenient for us as we travelled by train and was in a great position for sight-seeing around the city. It was also very pleasant to be able to go out and enjoy an early morning walk along the river and around the city walls.

We thoroughly enjoyed our short visit to York and our time at The Grand greatly enhanced the experience and we look forward to returning to the hotel in the future.

Room Tip: All of the rooms appeared to be equally suitable for a good night's sleep

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

It was great that you were able to travel to York by train, thus avoiding the high city centre car parking costs. As you have correctly pointed out, the Hotel is conveniently located a stones throw away from the station, walking distance to the city centre and a short bus / taxi ride to the race course.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Booked this Hotel due to positive feedback from others. Great central location, very friendly staff, clean and very comfortable with large modern rooms. The Hotel staff are very keen to please. Great facilities albeit the inbuilt TV system is a bit clumsy even for a techno head. Only issue we had was that breakfast was a nightmare one morning - we suffered a 1 hour delay. We discussed the issues later in the day with the duty manager and felt that they dealt with our concerns in a very fair, professional and agreeable manner. We are very glad that we raised this point with them as this demonstrated that they also expect great care and attention throughout our stay. Thanks Cedar Court, thanks Mike and all the Team in York, Best wishes.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

It’s also pleasing to read that your the breakfast issue that you brought to the attention of our Duty Manager was dealt with quickly and professionally. I would like to take this opportunity to again convey our apologies for the delay that you experienced.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My partner and I stayed on saturday night and i cannot praise the hotel highly enough. We were able to drop our bags off early and they whisked the car off early too, which enabled DB and I to enjoy the pleasures of York. We returned just after 3.00 and checked in to a wonderful room with a glorious bathroom. We enjoyed the spa, the decor was fantastic and once again the staff were helpful. Fresh milk when ordered was brought to the room before the kettle boiled. The bed was huuuge and we enjoyed a good nights sleep. It is a beautiful hotel complimented with excellent staff.

Room Tip: Executive double on the fifth floor is fabulous, and very quiet.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Enjoyed a perfect romantic weekend away at this fantastic hotel. It may not be cheap but it is still value for money. I used to live in York and on returning after 15 years it is great to see this old office building transformed into such an elegant hotel. The sensitive way the building has been transformed is excellent - even down to retaining the original safe doors and tiled flooring in the old vaults as part of the the Spa features. Rooms are spacious and have everything you need. Staff were polite and friendly - REALY friendly, not just the false smile type of friendly you sometimes get. Lots of lovely nice little touches like complimentary his and hers toiletries left on the bed as part of the turn down service. Didn't try the food as we knew too many other nice places to eat in York. Not having on site parking is a little bit of a pain but do your research and there is a large commuter car park only 3 minutes walk away which only costs £2.50/day on a weekend and you can drop/collect luggage yourself directly at the hotel.

Location was great too - only a couple of mins walk to the centre of York will lots of bars and restaurants.

If I was to nit pick I would only have 2 things to say ( just in case hotel management are reading this ). Firstly, the bedrooms could do with what us Northerners call "A big light" - dimmed lighting is great for 99% of the time but every so often you want a bright light to apply make up etc. Secondly, whilst the bath is large and sumptious, the design meant you couldn't put the plug in or check the water temperature without actually climbing fully into the bath.

But like I said, this is nit-picking really.

There may be cheaper hotels available in York but I doubt there will be many better.

Dear Guest

Wow! Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout. I’m glad you appreciated the modern luxury fixtures and fittings which compliment the original historic traits of the building. No stone was left unturned in converting the former Great North Easter Railway HQ in to the luxury hotel it is today.

Thank you also for giving special mention also to our team who are of course the hotels greatest asset. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to them.

I will be sure to also pass on your recommendations regarding the lighting in your bedroom and the bath tub to our Senior Management for consideration. Thank you for bringing this to light (pardon the pun).