“Well deserved 5 stars!”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Stayed one before when hotel fairly newly opened and we were very impressed. Our one night stay this November was due to being in York planning our wedding next year which we have booked a few nights at Cedar Court Grand so this was a bit of a 'practise run' so we could check out the overall services, bar and lounges etc. Everything exceeded our expectations. From the warmest welcome from Emma in reservations who has been organising things for us, to the reception staff and Peter, the Head Concierge and his team, everyone was very attentive, welcoming and genuinely seemed to love their jobs of looking after us. They all made us feel really special! Our room both times was huge and well planned and spotless. There are no down sides as far as we are concerned to this hotel and our experiences both times mean we know we can relax and not worry about our stay next year for our wedding. Great cocktails, and whisky choices and breakfast next morning was wheeled to our room in a hot trolley with fine linen as you would expect from this class of hotel. A couple of small points which we feel are general to hotels in UK but which we really wish they would take on board.......it wouldn't cost much to have full sized complimentary bottles of water placed in rooms. (This hotel does at least provide comp small still a d sparkling) Some hotels also provide complimentary fruit and biscuits and this can be so welcome and makes you feel the hotel is thinking of its guests rather than just profiteering from mini bars for which the mark up is very high. I know at the end of the day it's business but these small touches do make guests feel its personal! But hell, we would t stay anywhere else in York now! Thanks everyone and see you again soon!

Room Tip: Classic and executive are
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and it’s great to read that you will be returning to us next year for your wedding celebrations.

I’m glad you had time to sample some cocktails in our Cocktail Bar and Whisky in our Whisky Lounge. Thank you also for taking the time to experience our In Room Dining offer for Breakfast.

The complimentary water in our bedroom mini bars is indeed 330ml in size, however this is something that our guests can have replenished on request at any time throughout the day / night at no extra charge.

Indeed biscuits are provided on the tea/coffee tray in all of our bedrooms.
Thank you for your other suggestions. I will be sure to share them with our Senior Management team.

Graeme Clark

Write a ReviewReviews (4,212)

Reviewed 25 November 2011

From booking to reception to our leaving all that went on between means this is a place to which you want to return. Thanks. The staff are of the best. Room 332 was B I G and though very comfortable indeed does need something for it to be a more comfortable place. What made the experience of the best was no slamming of bedroom doors like cannons and sound creep from the room next door. Yes a shower control tap fell off/and the room temperature was iffy until house staff immediately put things to right. Thanks. Breakfast was tops. (To the housekeeping staff - looking after 'the bear' was appreciated!) This was not a cheap stay but that said 'you get what you pay for' and the experience was worth the paying.

Room Tip: The verbal plethora of 'offers' can be confusing. Read the website before you phone reservat...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2011

Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us. You can return whenever you like!!

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

Reviewed 24 November 2011

We stayed for one night as a surprise visit to York for my boyfriend's birthday. It was superb, the concierge were excellent, as were all the staff. We arrived early so left the luggage while we explored York (a very central location). The staff offered to call us should our room become available earlier (great service!!). The room was beautiful and the whiskey bar was a great place for a night cap...An absolutely great stay along with the full use of the gym and spa, couldn't have wished for a better place to treat someone.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom and our Whisky lounge which boasts over 200 Whiskies and is the ideal place to retire to at the end of a long day or after dinner.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

First things first-can see why this hotel has a five star rating and have no doubt it is justified.
We had a very pleasant stay and an excellent dinner in the Grill Room.At £300 our bill represented very good value compared to many 3 and 4 Star hotels in the area. There were niggles with housekeeping standards and there are some style v practicalitry issues but we have communicated these directly to the hotel.
Great place to stay to spend time in York and don't underestimate the value of the Spa on a winter's afternoon.
Just some attention to detail and training to be tweaked.

Room Tip: Pay extra for an Executive double
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted that in general, you enjoyed your stay throughout and had time to visit our award winning Grill Room Restaurant. It’s pleasing to read also that you enjoyed your time in our Spa, located in the whisper quiet vaults of the former North Eastern Railway HQ..

I will pass on your comments regarding our Housekeeping service to our team. It is only by receiving feedback such as this that we can perfect our service standards.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed for one night 20th November and could not fault the service, location or the hotel itself. Standard rooms are a good size larger than most hotels and very clean. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the train station, turn left and is just beyond the city walls, you can't miss it. Hotel staff were very polite and friendly. Cocktails in the lounge were nice but would only order one as a little pricey, especially as Living Room, Slug and Lettuce etc are a stone throw away. Would also highly recommend Akbars Indian Restaurant around the corner, excellent food!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

It’s great to read that you took the time to sample a cocktail in our cocktail bar. The pricing of our food and beverage, we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and calibre of Hotel that we are. Obviously there are more cost effective establishments in the city centre and we can appreciate that some of our guests may prefer to explore this option.

Whilst the Indian Restaurant you have mentioned in town is very nice, I must urge you to try our Grill Room Restaurant on your next visit to York. Or Grill Room has recently been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for Culinary excellence. Using fresh local produce to produce a menu of modern international cuisine which is complimented by a high standard of service and wine to match.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

I recently took my 99 year old mother for afternoon tea at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel in York. The staff from the concierge to the waiting staff could not do enough to help us. One particular member of the restaurant staff went out of his way to engage my mother in conversation and in so doing he made her day. When you are that age most people don't take the trouble. Well done and you deserve your 5 star status.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent afternoon tea with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed the experience throughout and it’s great to read that your Mother enjoyed her special day also.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future. Perhaps we could help you arrange something for a 100th birthday party?

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Cannot say enough about this fantastic beautifully furnished 5 star hotel.

The whole place, decor, staff exceeded my expectations for a thoroughly enjoyed treat for my Husband's birthday. The only down side was that we had not booked for a whole week (or at least another night).

We were greeted by concierge as the reception was busy. He stored our bags for us as it was only 12.30 when we arrived and we knew our room would not be available until 3. He did, however, take my mobile number and told us he would give us a ring if our room became available sooner. As promised, the hotel rang and left an answerphone message to say our room was ready.

When we returned to the hotel to check in, the receptionist informed us that we had a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room. A wonderful start to a wonderful 24 hours!

Shortly after being shown to our huge and tastefully decorated room, the receptionist rang us to ensure we were happy with our room. We really were made to feel very special indeed.

I had previously contacted the hotel to see if we could have afternoon tea served in our room, this was no problem whatsoever. We paid a £5 tray service charge (well worth it) and our extremely scrumptious afternoon tea was brought to us on a wheely fold out table. We were totally stuffed after a vast array of teeny sandwiches, fruit scones with the best clotted cream I have tasted in my 37 years!! Followed by extremely beautiful cakes.

After a little rest (as we could barely move after all that naughtiness) we took a little jaunt down to the beautiful spa area. The pool was lovely and warm without being too hot. The jacuzzi was deliciously hot and powerful and the sauna and steam rooms were spotless. I only wish we could have stretched to a treatment each!!

After a meal out in York we decided to treat ourselves to a cocktail in the hotel bar, this led to 2 more........gorgeous. When we staggered back upstairs, we found the bed turned down and a little sample of eye mask on my pillow. What a lovely touch. My husband suffers with asthma and didnt think earlier, but we realised that the divine duck down duvet may just set an attack off so I rang down to reception (bearing in mind it was after midnight) and asked if there was anyway we could have a normal synthetic duvet. The lady was extremely helpful and a young man came up with another duvet. Honestly, nothing was a bother for the wonderful staff.

After the best night's sleep ever (not sure if it was the delightful cocktails!!!) I made a lovely cup of tea and coffee from the room's service tray. The coffee was proper ground coffee with a cafetiere (wonderful touch).

I would wholeheartedly recommend this fantastic hotel to anyone staying in York. We had a wonderful, romantic and happy time here. Hope you do too xx

Dear Guest

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such an amaaaaaaazing review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including your accommodation, afternoon tea in room dining experience and cocktails in the bar, It’s very pleasing to read that you picked up on the finer touches that we provide throughout all our guests stay with us to truly make it a 5 star experience. I will be sure to pass on your kind works to our team. I am sure they will be as delighted to read them as I am.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future where I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us for longer.

Why not also visit our award winning Grill Room Restaurant; using fresh local produce to produce a menu of modern international cuisine which is complimented by a high standard of service and wine to match.