“The service let this hotel down”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
London, United Kingdom
“The service let this hotel down”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My brother and I stayed at the Cedar Court Grand for 3 nights from the 29th of October and we were very disappointed with the service at the hotel. The hotel itself is in a great location, although their decoration throughout lacks in character and the dim light in the bedrooms makes it difficult to find anything, the rooms are large and comfortable enough but some of their staff certainly let the hotel down.

From the moment we arrived from our train journey from London, a moody and incompetent receptionist at the front desk didn’t need to try hard to be unwelcoming. The check in was a fiasco, after nearly 10 minutes starring at her computer screen she finally told us that at that moment (around 2 pm), they only have one of our rooms prepared as ‘they were fully booked and extremely busy’.

When my brother questioned which of our rooms was ready she replied that ‘it does not matter as we have the same Standard room’, for which my brother had to inform her that he actually booked and pre-paid an Executive room with views of the city wall for himself, which prompted her to look at her screen for another 10 minutes before she, clearly annoyed ?!, agreed that this was correct. We was then informed that we would have to wait even longer as there was no Executive room available until later in the afternoon. No apologies were offered!

Late in the afternoon my brother was showed to his Executive room which had a view of a car park and of course nothing could be done about that until the following day as ‘the hotel was fully booked’. The next day my brother was allocated a smaller room with a very small shower cubicle in the bathroom which was actually a Standard room but with a view of the city wall and they said that this was the best they could do.

We also had difficulties understanding the strong accent of the receptionist when we phoned the reception desk for instructions to set up our laptop and it was impossible to understand her instructions. When asked to repeat and to speak slowly but she seemed to get irritated and speak even faster (?). My brother had to go down stairs to make some sense of her explanation. Again, she showed us the same moody attitude when we asked if it was possible to make a restaurant reservation for the evening, at the end the concierge dealt with our request and throughout our stay whenever we have any requests we would take it directly to the concierge or a porter in order to avoid dealing with the rude moody person at the reception.

This was our 3rd visit to York, we love the city, great history, wonderful restaurants, (we enjoyed the most incredible breakfast at the Betty’s café daily!) and we will definitely come back to York but certainly not to the Cedar Court Grand.

The rest of our trip was fantastic. From York we stayed a few days in Bath at a wonderful small hotel, Apsley House… and what a contrast, beautiful rooms full of character and a very efficient and friendly service, it was a pleasure to stay in this hotel. Our trip ended in London, at the Sofitel St. James and as usual it was perfect, and their 5 star rating is fully justified. The management of the Cedar Court Grand seemed to be oblivious to what is going on in his front desk as I read another guest review with the same comment; he would possibly benefit by staying a few days at the Sofitel and see what it is a good 5 star service!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Expat86
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay with us. Naturally I am very disappointed regarding the context of your review.

The Cedar Court Grand Hotel Management regularly receives praise and compliment for our excellent customer service and guest relations so it is regrettable that you do not share this majority view.

All of our Front Office team speak impeccable English so it is indeed surprising to read that you had difficulty understanding one member of our team with an “accent”. Naturally like all companies, we promote equal opportunities and do not discriminate against anyone with regards to their nationality, accent etc.

We guarantee a check in time of 3pm, so although disappointing that your bedroom was not ready at 2pm, this is not the fault of the receptionist. Should any of our guests arrive early to the hotel, we will always offer the use of our facilities and to store any luggage.
The hotel is located in a city centre and the vast majority of bedrooms do boast views of the city wall, city of York and the Minster. Naturally, some bedrooms do boast less superior views. Had you wished for a “room with a view”, I’m sure our team could have arranged this for you either prior to your arrival or after you had checked in. I’m glad that this could be accommodated on your 2nd night and that all that was possible was done bearing in mind the hotel was full or near full.

All areas of the hotel, especially the public areas have been extremely well decorated and in keeping with the buildings style and class. The ambience, mood and decor is to a discerning taste. A lot of time, effort, investment and of course TLC was put in to the restoration of this Grade 2 listed former Great North Eastern Railway HQ to bring it back to its former glory. Cedar Court Hotels worked closely with English Heritage when restoring the property and we have also received much praise from many a channel. It’s disappointing to read that this was not to your personal taste.

I will pass on your comments to our team. It is only by receiving feedback such as this that we can improve our service standards.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Just spent sunday and monday at this hotel, for a shopping trip to York. It's location is excellent - just a few minutes walk across the bridge to the main shopping area. The hotel is beautiful inside and the room was large and very comfortable. Lovely shower stuff (molton Brown), helpful staff and a complimentary drink when they were a little late getting us into our room. Only downside is that there is a substantial charge for parking - £20 which we didn't know about until after booking the hotel, although it is stated on the website. This still wouldn't put us off going back and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to a friend.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank remmy59
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom and bathroom.

We do of course begrudge having to pass on the 3rd party car parking charges, however the hotel does not in any way profit from this.
To inform guests prior to arrival this charge is indeed mentioned on booking confirmation, our own website and all 3rd party booking web sites.
Valet parking of guest vehicles from our concierge is part of our service and the charge is not that of our own, but from the car park itself

As you have mentioned the hotel does have the fortune of being located near the city centre which is very useful. The Hotel is also conveniently located a stones throw away from the station, walking distance to the city centre and a short bus / taxi ride to the race course. Perhaps on your next visit to York, a train could be an alternative mode of transport for you to utilise as car parking charges in any city centre are usually high.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

UK
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We live in York and tried the Grand for a lunchtime meal, it was a treat for my partner. We both thought the service and staff were excellent and very attentive, nothing was too much bother, and we were made to feel special.
The lunch menu was about £25 for a 3 course meal. The food was of the highest order and tasted as good as it was presented and looked.
I would definatly recommend this hotel.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent visit to us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your lunch in our Grill Room Restaurant. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our team.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The proposal was planed though and she said yes! Definitely helped by this excellent hotel, the staff went above and beyond.

Perfectly located between the train station and City centre, both a 5 minute walk.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us and many congratulations on the engagement!!

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future, perhaps for the wedding celebrations themselves?

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This is a very grand hotel. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the staff are helpful and friendly and the spa, bar areas and corridors are well decorated and clean. We had some problems with the hot water, the whole hotel was effected. This issue spoiled our stay but we were compensated with a complimentary drink, breakfast and afternoon tea (have not had this yet) and we had to ask for this.
We would have liked another complimentary stay as we had planned our trip in between medical treatments for myself but it wasn't offered. On top of the hot water issue our taps in the room were broken and we were told that we should never have been put on the room we were in so, after using the spa and been covered in chlorine we were forced to go out for the evening unwashed with unwashed hair. We were offered an alternative room but that would have been pointless without hot water anyway. Overall it was a disappointing but I would stay again if I ever have the chance, this was my first and only stay in a hotel of this class and it wasn't as expected
The staff were apologetic and the breakfast was nice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us last month.

I’m naturally disappointed to hear that you experienced some maintenance issues which spoiled your stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team. It is only by receiving feedback such as this that we can improve our service standards.

Should you wish to give us a 2nd chance in the future to change your opinion of us and to let us make up for the shortfalls you experienced on your 1st stay, please don’t hesitate to contact me prior at graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We had a pretty good deal booking via the Cedar Court website, and while it's pricier compared to other hotels or B&Bs, the experience was worth it.

What I liked most were the rooms - I had the Classic room, and it was very spacious. Beds were comfortable and of good quality. I had a very blissful and quiet sleep.

The bathroom was huge too, and there was *supposed* to be floor heating, but it didn't seem to work in my room. That wasn't such a biggie though - it would have been the icing for such a lovely stay.

The only thing that marred my stay a little was the receptionist. For a reputably 4/5* hotel, I expected at least a smile to welcome me when I checked in. All I got was very curt and businesslike service. It did make me feel like I wasn't welcome. Fortunately the concierge and personnel greeting me at the door were very warm. That made up for the jarring initial experience we received.

Room Tip: The hotel had a general calm so I guess any room would be fine. I had the most basic room, and it wa...
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom.

It’s a shame to read that your under floor heating was not functioning. Had you reported this to a member of our team at the time, I’m sure this is something we could have looked in to and rectified.

I will be sure to pass on your other comments to the appropriate Management personnel within the hotel who will take your comments on board.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I don't normally write reviews, but after staying at the Grand for a weekend in November, and having been so impressed with it, I decided that sometimes it is necessary also to praise an establishment for doing not only a good job, but a superbe one! This was a girls weekend away, my friend and I were both in need of a break, and boy did we get one. From the moment we stepped inside the doors of the Cedar Court Grand, we truly felt as if we had left all our cares and worries behind. There was a peace about the hotel, everything seemed to run effectively with little fuss, the reception staff were so nice to us during check in - and the concierge made brilliant restaurant recommendations, even taking the trouble to highlight on the map where everything was.

The bedroom, well there is always a little moment just before you open your bedroom door, where you are hope that it lives up to your expectations.... or photos from the website and in our case it surpassed them! The room was of such a generous size, there was a wonderful feeling of space, large comfortable beds, (fab duvets) a separate area with table and chairs to sit and chat, a nice study desk, huge bathroom with separate walk in shower, and all so modern, clean, light and spacious. While I never pay much attention to toiletries, they were Molton & Brown which was a nice touch. Lots of coffee & tea provided, with lovely shortbread biscuits, again not something I look for but they were welcome after my trip up from London.

The corridors were well lit & very wide but had somehow retained the character of the building, it used to be the headquarters for a railway company i believe, and whoever designed the refurb, kept to the style of the old, while adding luxury for the new.

The photos on the wall had echoes of times past, from the building and York itself, lending an historic air to the place, furniture was a mix but the large comfy sofas in the residents lounge are definitely worth a return trip alone for! The type of sofas you can just sink into after a day out shopping and sightseeing and let the stresses of life draft away. We had late night drinks in the lounge both nights and service was excellent, not intrusive, but just enough to ensure we had what we needed.

While Hotels cannot necesarily help their location, that of the Cedar Court is perfect, less than 5 mins walk from the train station, and the same to the city centre.

This was my first trip to York, and I so loved the city, but the Cedar Court made my trip all the more memorable, I would never stay anywhere else when visiting York in the future and will certainly recommend this hotel to all my friends who even think of paying a trip to York.

Too often in the UK we are negative about service, and sometimes with good reason, so when you stay in a hotel which delivers on ALL of it's promises, it should be made as public as possible!! I stayed in the Kempinski Palace in Istanbul earlier this year and while the public areas of the hotel were lovely, i was so disappointed with my room, and have to say that of the two hotels I have fonder memories of the Cedar Court Grand hotel, and would recommend it more highly than the Kempinski.

If you are looking for a weekend away, where you want to be guaranteed that there won't be any disappointments, where you need things to go just right and where want to get away from it all...... then this is the hotel to book!!! There is a charm, elegance and calm about this hotel that would be hard to beat anywhere!!

Now I just need another reason to go back...... am sure I will find one!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Wow Wow Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lengthy & fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and that you recognised and appreciated all of our efforts to ensure your stay was a memorable one for all the right reasons.