My brother and I stayed at the Cedar Court Grand for 3 nights from the 29th of October and we were very disappointed with the service at the hotel. The hotel itself is in a great location, although their decoration throughout lacks in character and the dim light in the bedrooms makes it difficult to find anything, the rooms are large and comfortable enough but some of their staff certainly let the hotel down.
From the moment we arrived from our train journey from London, a moody and incompetent receptionist at the front desk didn’t need to try hard to be unwelcoming. The check in was a fiasco, after nearly 10 minutes starring at her computer screen she finally told us that at that moment (around 2 pm), they only have one of our rooms prepared as ‘they were fully booked and extremely busy’.
When my brother questioned which of our rooms was ready she replied that ‘it does not matter as we have the same Standard room’, for which my brother had to inform her that he actually booked and pre-paid an Executive room with views of the city wall for himself, which prompted her to look at her screen for another 10 minutes before she, clearly annoyed ?!, agreed that this was correct. We was then informed that we would have to wait even longer as there was no Executive room available until later in the afternoon. No apologies were offered!
Late in the afternoon my brother was showed to his Executive room which had a view of a car park and of course nothing could be done about that until the following day as ‘the hotel was fully booked’. The next day my brother was allocated a smaller room with a very small shower cubicle in the bathroom which was actually a Standard room but with a view of the city wall and they said that this was the best they could do.
We also had difficulties understanding the strong accent of the receptionist when we phoned the reception desk for instructions to set up our laptop and it was impossible to understand her instructions. When asked to repeat and to speak slowly but she seemed to get irritated and speak even faster (?). My brother had to go down stairs to make some sense of her explanation. Again, she showed us the same moody attitude when we asked if it was possible to make a restaurant reservation for the evening, at the end the concierge dealt with our request and throughout our stay whenever we have any requests we would take it directly to the concierge or a porter in order to avoid dealing with the rude moody person at the reception.
This was our 3rd visit to York, we love the city, great history, wonderful restaurants, (we enjoyed the most incredible breakfast at the Betty’s café daily!) and we will definitely come back to York but certainly not to the Cedar Court Grand.
The rest of our trip was fantastic. From York we stayed a few days in Bath at a wonderful small hotel, Apsley House… and what a contrast, beautiful rooms full of character and a very efficient and friendly service, it was a pleasure to stay in this hotel. Our trip ended in London, at the Sofitel St. James and as usual it was perfect, and their 5 star rating is fully justified. The management of the Cedar Court Grand seemed to be oblivious to what is going on in his front desk as I read another guest review with the same comment; he would possibly benefit by staying a few days at the Sofitel and see what it is a good 5 star service!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, Ebookers, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa