“GREAT HOTEL”

Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in York
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“GREAT HOTEL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

Stayed here again for the 4th time on Friday 2nd December 2011.
Booked two double executive rooms for my mothers 60th birthday.
Prior to our arrival I phoned them and asked for flowers to be put in my mothers room.

We arrived at 12 noon and were greeted by two valets who took our luggage and parked the car for us. Excellent and efficient.

Check in was quick and easy with the hotel reception manager taking us to our rooms and showing us all the facilities. Nice touch.

In my mothers room were the flowers i ordered together with a birthday card, fruit and fudge courtesy of the hotel management. This made my mothers day, thanks.

The rooms were clean, tidy and of good quality.

We ordered room service in the afternoon which arrived after 30 minutes but was a little disappointing. The sandwiches were poor but presented well which is why it was disappointing they didn't live up to the standards you would expect.

Hotel bar - Last time we stayed the bar service was not that good. This was because the bar staff didn't have the technical know how on how to serve certain drinks correctly.
This time the bar staff did have the technical know how so well done in training them to deliver to the standard you would expect.

We didn't have evening meal at the hotel this time, but we did have breakfast which was excellent.

The hotel SPA was great too.

OVERALL
This is a great hotel and in our opinion the only hotel in York to stay in. 5* YES

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout in particular your arrival journey and the amenities that we arranged to have in your bedroom.

It’s pleasing to read that you also had time to enjoy some drinks in our Cocktail Bar and to relax and unwind in our Spa.

I'm disappointed that the room service sandwiches you ordered were not to your liking. Had you mentioned this to one of our team at the time, we would have had the opportunity to rectify this. I will however communicate your feedback to our Head Chef. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

booked several rooms for a works xmas party on the Saturday night and none of us were disappointed from the friendly greeting on arrival to the the top quality rooms and excellent gym and spa facilities.the location is perfect for all that york has to offer. The service at breakfast is second to none and would certainly recommend paying a little bit more to enjoy fully what this top 5star has to offer thanks to jacqui havecroft and the team look forward to coming back soon! !! Regards NB

• Stayed December 2011
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your accommodation and breakfast. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our team.

essex, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

From the moment we arrived the staff were polite, helpful and very friendly. The hotel rooms were spacious very clean and comfortable. The spa was very relaxing the pool area again very clean. Lovely bar. My only dissapointment was that we did not have longer to stay but will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 December 2011
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom and our Spa.
It’s great to read also that you had time to relax in our Cocktail Bar.

peskykid
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

A restored rail union head quarters it has wide corridors and doors giving it a unique open feel. The hotel has been sympathetically decorated with a quiet, warm feel to it.

Service was excellent, we didn't eat at the Grill, but did have afternoon tea which was delicious and expensive!

Rooms were comfortable and the bathroom was lovely. Beware of the water pipes. The plumbing in the building can get rather noisy.

My wife had a spa treatment which she said was wonderful. The spa is busy so book well in advance - the same for afternoon tea at the weekends.

The parking is valet but stored at the NCP - watch out for the extra £20 charge.

Will definitely stay here again, provided my wallet can stretch to it :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your afternoon tea in our HQ Restaurant and Spa treatments.

We do of course begrudge having to pass on the 3rd party car parking charges, however the hotel does not in any way profit from this. To inform guests prior to arrival this charge is indeed mentioned on booking confirmation, our own website and all 3rd party booking web sites.Valet parking of guest vehicles from our concierge is part of our service and the charge is not that of our own, but from the car park itself.

The Hotel is conveniently located a stones throw away from the station, walking distance to the city centre and a short bus / taxi ride to the race course. Perhaps on your next visit to York, a train could be an alternative mode of transport for you to utilise as car parking charges in any city centre are usually high.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future. I hope you will have time to visit our Grill Room Restaurant; a fine dining experience, using fresh local produce to produce a menu of modern international cuisine which is complimented by a high standard of service and wine to match. Or Grill Room has also recently been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for Culinary excellence.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

I was up in York for work purposes and made a quick reservation without any expectations - from check-in to check-out I found the staff warm, welcoming, friendly and helpful. Whilst the decor overall was a bit dated I think that's the overall theme of the place anyway and I am making no complaints -the rooms were clean and fresh.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review following your recent stay with us. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I have just come back from a 3 night stay. From the start to finish the service was spot on, the room very clean and outstanding and the food lovely. No complaints and look forward to going back. This is the first hotel in a long time that has lived up and surpassed my expectations. Well done to all the staff.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and will be sure to pass on your kind words to our team.

preston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

Our children bought a voucher for us to stay in this hotel. It was a wonderful experience though we did not use the spa or have any meals. The room was large, clean and well stocked with coffee, tea etc. also Molton Brown products in the bathroom,perfect! The staff very helpful, friendly and though professional very approachable.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 112 and yes the A/C unit was quite noisy, but did not spoil our stay. We were quit...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular the bathroom products within your bathroom. I have reported the air conditioning issue to our Maintenance Manager who will look into this immediately, thank you for letting us know. I’m pleased that the heating in your room was adjusted promptly by our team.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future where I hope you will have an opportunity to visit our Spa, located in the whisper quiet vaults of the building and also our Grill Room Restaurant which has recently been awarded 2 AA rosettes for culinary excellence.