“Excellent”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the hotel. Lovely as always... Couldn't recommend this hotel enough we where even shown around for a possible wedding venue we where shown various room and even The penthouse wow!!!!!!

The spa treatment I had (hot stones) was excellent. We ordered room service once which was well worth the money. Also we sampled the afternoon tea which was fabolous.

The most impressive thing about this hotel is the staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Wishing you all the best for 2012.

Food & Beverage Operations Manager

Reviewed 2 January 2012

Stayed at the Cedar Court Spa over New Year. Met at door and had my car taken away for valet parking. £20 a day a bit expensive but worth it as we immediately felt the five star experience. The staff were so friendly and helpful. Easy check in and the room was large with table and chairs. This was the classic room and plenty big enough. Separate toilet with sink so like a his and hers bathroom. Robes and slippers very welcome. Had the afternoon tea which is a must. Sandwiches, various cakes and pastries which was plentiful. The swimming pool and Jacuzzi is another must do. Very quiet with relaxing atmosphere. Set in the old vaults and basement so had a old world feel about it. Again, staff couldn't help enough and gave us a tour. The hotel bar has a great atmosphere. We rarely use hotel bars but couldn't keep away. Great selection of whiskey's and beers and again felt very welcome. Stayed in many hotels and this rates as one of the best. Great hotel with equally great staff. Well done.

Room Tip: Suggest a high floor as there is no double glazing and sometimes you here a few revelers shouting wh...

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay New Year with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout. Thank you also for giving special mention to our team who of course all take great pride in looking after all of our guests. I will be sure to pass on your praise to them all.

Wishing you all the best for 2012.

Food & Beverage Manager

Reviewed 31 December 2011

I stopped at the Cedar Court Grand for 2 nights at the end of November 2011/beginning of December 2011 with my boyfriend. This was the best hotel I have stayed at in the UK and I cannot fault it. We have previously stayed in the Jumeira Essex in New York and although the Cedar Court Grand is a smaller size hotel than the Jumeira, the quality of service was the same and it was a very luxurious hotel.
Some of the other reviewers have stated that they thought it was a bit pricey but like most things, you get what you pay for and this is the ideal place to go for a special occasion, anniversary etc.....The room was excellent and spacious and I particularly appreciated the underfloor heating in the bathroom as it was a bit chilly outside. Although the hotel is next to a road we did not have any problems with traffic noise and our room overlooked the city wall/road outside.
You can imagine the building as it was in its heyday, and walking down the corridors to your room with the old fashioned radiators and doors, you can picture the time when the rooms were offices and people were going about their work. The staircase and landings are also fabulous, as is the underground pool/spa. I could imagine this hotel being used in an episode of Poirot. Even though the hotel has kept its communal areas in keeping with its heritage, the room was completely modern with all mod cons and lovely sash windows.
Make sure you pay a trip to the bar/lounge, even if only to marvel at the prices of some of the champagnes. Breakfast was excellent, there was plenty of choice for the buffet and we went to breakfast quite late both days. Some hotels would not have much out at the end of the breakfast time but this was not the case here.
We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening but the menu looked excellent.
I can't wait to go back there and will definitely be visiting in 2012.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mini1724
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2012

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in 2012.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Took my now wife here for her birthday a few weeks after it first opened and was blown away. Absolutlety fantastic and would recommend to anyone! At the time the room fees were a bit of a stretch but it was worth it. After the stay when i arrived home i tried to withdraw the last £100 out of my account to find that the hotel had earmarked these funds for 7 days. This would not have been a problem if they had informed me upon check in or at any time during my stay. I spoke to the manager and he explained to me the process and was told all his staff are trained to state this upon check in. He did not seem concerned as i repeatedly told him i was not informed. After chasing my tail for 5 minutes i gave up and am still to this day a liar. Has taken me so long to write this review as i have just discovered trip advisor, but it still irritates me to this day as i feel i was brushed off. Amazing hotel just dont do what i did and skin yourself to pay for it!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pheonix85

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback review following your stay with us 18 months ago.

You have left me a little confused with regards to the rate that you paid for your visit. You have stated in your opening sentence that you thought the money you have spent was well worth it, but in your final sentence you have suggested otherwise.
Being York’s 1st and Yorkshire’s only 5 star Hotel, I believe that the rate you paid was very reasonable.

Credit Card Pre-authorisation - When all guest check into the hotel, they are requested to present a Credit or Debit Card. If the accommodation is prepaid, only an amount for extras is required, however if the accommodation is not prepaid the total amount for the stay and then an amount for extras is secured. When a Credit card is presented upon arrival we are able to take a pre authorisation, this is then completed on check out and releases any difference in the pre authorisation amount. This is a practice that you will find in all hotels across the world, that a form of payment is established upon check in. The time that it can sometimes take for a bank / building society to release an amount that has been pre-authorised is not the fault of the hotels. Given the recent changes in the law and banks procedures regarding credit card thefts/frauds as much as it does not completely fit in with hospitality service, it is a protection for both Hotels and Guests.

We are constantly in touch with the company that handles Credit Card Transaction to see if there has been any update in making.
On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

Just stayed for the Christmas break. Beautiful building, spacious rooms and facilities and excellent service.

Not my usual standard of hotel as my pocket is not so deep but went as a treat. Yes it was very expensive but as a one off was worth the price.

Don't think the Christmas Day lunch warranted the price charged with children running around and shouting. Don't mind children but if I'm paying £85 per head I expect the atmosphere to reflect the price. Boxing Day was much better.

Would I go again - yes for a treat and to be spoilt by the service.

Valet parking or you must use an NCP and walk a short distance. Not value though at £20 per day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without the view of the adjacent building site. These rooms may be noisy if your look...
2  Thank Brian M
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear Guest

I’m delighted that in general you enjoyed your Christmas stay throughout.

It’s a shame that a few vocal children spoilt what was otherwise an enjoyable Christmas Day Lunch. Naturally we cater for families throughout the festive season and we are not an adult only venue. We feel that the price of £85 for an exquisite 6 course menu in Fine Dine Surroundings is both competitive and value for money.

The Hotel is conveniently located a stones throw away from the station, walking distance to the city centre and a short bus / taxi ride to the race course. Perhaps on your next visit to York, a train could be an alternative mode of transport for you to utilise as car parking charges in any city centre are usually high.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

this is our second visit and again everything was good, attentive service from the door staff - the cars heated seats were even put on for us! to the wonderful breakfast and service. We only visit once a year but we look very much forward to it

• Stayed: December 2011
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2011

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future for what will be your 3rd visit.

Reviewed 25 December 2011

Very nice, but would we go back? probably not......
Why? It was very pleasant with very helpful staff but after £185 for one night's B&B for my wife & i, do you want to pay an extra £20 to park your car overnight?...I am not sure I do. I am also unsure whether we would go back -it was a lot of money for what what it was. Don't misunderstand me, the staff were great, very helpful and pleasant and the room lovely; but I am sure that there was equal or better value for money in York elsewhere.
We found them all very accommodating, polite and helpful, but you cant help thinking that its outrageous money for what it is...even for a treat... What also cheesed me off was that they gave me someone else's receipt who had paid £40 less for a one night B&B stay - after I had a secured a 'deal' from Lastminute.com.
Got a celebration and want to spend big - this is the place for you..want to have a value for money weekend - keep looking.

Room Tip: Don't have a room on the back - with late night city revelers and contracted bottle collectors...
3  Thank mikeeff

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay.

Being York’s 1st and Yorkshire’s only 5 star Hotel, it is indeed a great shame that you feel the money you paid was excessive. With the hotel’s rating and service facilities taken on board, I would argue that the rate you paid was very reasonable. A hotel of the same class 200 miles south of York (London) would probably have cost you twice as much.

I would like to mention also that you agreed to your rate when you made your reservation which would have also been confirmed to you in writing. You would also have been made aware of our facilities and type of hotel that we are etc, so it is disappointing that you feel you have paid too much after visiting us.

Naturally, accommodation rates vary on the internet, as they would do on anything else hospitality related which is of course is governed by seasonality and availability.
Being a city centre hotel, our bedrooms boast a wide range of views. Should any guest have a particular preference to which bedroom they are allocated, our In House Reservations team will always endeavour to meet any individual preferences.

Car Parking - as stated in 100s of my previous responses to this topic on Trip Advisor, we do of course begrudge having to pass on the 3rd party car parking charges, however the hotel does not in any way profit from this. To inform guests prior to arrival this charge is indeed mentioned on booking confirmation, our own website and all 3rd party booking web sites. So again, it’s disappointing you have complained about this after your stay.