“Delighted”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Exeter
“Delighted”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Throughout our 8 day stay we were delighted with the quality of the service. Spotless rooms, comfortable beds, generous portions of deliciously cooked food and, above all, very friendly, helpful and courteous staff. We found the hotel to be ideally placed for travelling around Yorkshire by train (we had deliberatelyleft the car at home) and also for getting about York itself.

1 Thank Patrick H
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kings Norton
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Really excellent hotel. Bumped into Emmerdale stars whilst staying here. Will be coming back next year for another break.

2 Thank Siobhan N
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us throughout.

Doncaster
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed for 1 night - I love Sundays in luxury. Reception was not as appealing to the eye as I would have expected for a 5 star hotel, a bit dingy. Having paid for the spa break in full, it was quite a surprise that the receptionist asked for a £100 credit card payment at the time of check in, just in case anything was used from the mini bar; unlikely, given the ridiculously inflated prices of the contents. Unfortunately, having not brought a credit card (as the Booking Team had not mentioned this small detail), this resulted in a very embarrassing moment when the receptionist informed me that the contents of the mini bar would have to be removed from the room! Apart from this very embarrassing moment, I couldn't fault the spa, exceptionally clean and the staff were very friendly in this part of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachael W
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent stay with us. It’s obviously disappointing that you have described your stay as “average”. As York’s only 5 star property, your expectations must certainly be very high.

In response to your comments:

Reception:
It’s a great shame that in your personal opinion, you found the reception area to be “dingy”. With marbled flooring & chandelier lighting amongst other original luxurious fittings and features, we feel that this area of the hotel gives a fantastic 1st impression to anyone entering this landmark historic Grade 2 listed building. For anyone reading this, I refer to the main photo above.

Credit Card Pre-authorisation:
When any guest checks into the hotel, they are requested to present a Credit or Debit Card to guarantee payment for any extras, mini bar drinks being just one example of this. Other such extras could include any spa treatments and any other food and beverage consumed during ones stay.
This is a practice that you will find in all hotels across the world, that a form of payment is established upon check in. Given the recent changes in the law and banks procedures regarding credit card thefts/frauds as much as it does not completely fit in with hospitality service, it is a protection for both Hotels and Guests.

Mini Bar pricing:
All items within the mini bar are at the same pricing level as our main cocktail bar. We feel that given the standard and quality of establishment that we are, the pricing is both reasonable and competitive. I have read comments from other previous guests on this forum which second this. So again, I am sorry that in your personal opinion, that prices were either too high or out of your budget.

Great to read that you enjoyed our Spa.

hartlepool
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Upon arrival we were met with a kind and courtious welcome by the guy on the door , we were then met with the same from the lady on reception. When she took my name the booking was not on the system but she told us not to worry and she would have it all sorted at in time (we had called early). Our luggage was taken and stored for us so we could have a comfortable walk into the city to kill some time before check in time.
When we checked in everything was sorted and as it was my wifes birthday we had been upgraded to an executive room.(Thanks)
We were then greeted by Graham who not only carried the luggage and showed us to our room but gave us a nice history lesson about the building.He then showed us how all the services in the room were operated and how to go about using the spa.(Graham i`m so sorry i couldn`t give you a tip as i had no cash at the time and do feel bad about it)

ROOM: Really beautifull , spacious ,clean with a lovely en-suite and super king sized bed which was very comfy

SPA: Very classy , a very powerfull jacuzzi , steam room , sauna and a pool all set in the vault of the building which was just perfect.

BAR: Absolutely lovely and relaxing atmosphere with very attentive and pleasant staff. The cocktail and whiskey menus` were the most comprehensive i have ever seen.

THE BUILDING GENERALLY: We were totally wowed by the beauty of this building , both from an architectural and interior design point of view , it was absolutely stunning in every way. It oozed the high class that would be very difficult to find in most hotels.

STAFF: Every member of the team were polite , helpfull , enthusiastic and seemed very proud to be part of the hotel.
A special thank you to Graham for looking after us on arrival and departure ,we hope to see you again soon.

SUMMARY: Dont take too much notice of bad reports because we found our stay to be faultless and find it hard to believe some of the comments made. The hotel really has thought of every possible thing to make it an experience you wont forget and we certainly won`t.

Many thanks to all concerned.

Mark and Wendy Dixon

Room Tip: Check out the pictures online the hotel is as good if not better in real life
1 Thank mark d
Dear Guest

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic thorough review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us throughout, in particular your bedroom and time spent in our Cocktail Bar and Spa.
We have indeed just launched a new cocktail menu so I’m delighted you appreciated the quality and range that we offer. Our Bar Team have taken a lot of care and time in putting the menu together so they will be delighted with your positive feedback.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Seasider in Scunthorpe
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife & I stayed & ate dinner hear for just one night in early April. The whole experience was excelent from the moment we arrived. We were greeted outside by the porter who took our case & the service from reception was very good. We were shown to our very spacious & extremely well appointed room with a huge bed (the standard room). We ate at the restaurant in the evening & I have to say that the food was probably the best I have ever experienced. I don't know if the restaurant has any Michelin stars but it deserves at least one. The food & service was better than a 2 Michelin star restaurant we ate at in March. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone. It is definately worth the 5 star rating but comes at a price. Over £300 for the above (2 people).

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11. Ground floor next to reception. Large & airy with seperate bathroom &...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us throughout, in particular your bedroom and time spent in our Award Winning Grill Room Restaurant.

hartlepool
Reviewed 24 April 2012

What a beautiful hotel my hubby booked it for a treat for my birthday. From the moment we walked through the doors we were treated like celebs our bags were taken off us and we got a lovely welcome we were told we had been upgraded because it was my birthday the concierge then showed us too our room on the way he talked about the history off the beautiful building when we got to our beautiful room he took our coats and explained how things worked in the room.He was so helpful we felt guilty for not being able to tip him but we had no cash with us.We then got changed into our bathing cossies and used the thick warm bath robes and slippers and went to the spa this was pure chill out luxury and the changing rooms with beautiful molten brown products were lovely. Later on we went down stairs and had a cocktail in the lovely sitting room far too many cocktails to choose and also a whiskey room with a very impressive whiskey list. We went out to dine but wished we had stayed in. When we went back to the room the bed had been turned down and fresh water was out and also lip cream. Very comfy bed slept well apart from a little noise from some work getting done outside. We didn't have breakfast we preferred to sleep in then use the spa. All in all it was a lovely treat and we will be back. Only bad point but not a negative was the lilys in reception they always make me feel ill. Thank you to the staff because nothing was a problem

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom and the additional amenities that were placed within. I’m pleased also that you enjoyed your time in the Spa.

It’s a shame you didn’t have time to dine in our award winning Grill Room Restaurant. I hope you will have time on a future visit.

Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We recently spent just the 1 night in this wonderful hotel. The word grand sums it up for me personally. With the full refurbishment it has gone through I liked the way they have left the original architecture throughout the hotel, which is in keeping with the history of it. However, I also loved the fact the rooms were lovely and modern, very spacious, flat screen TV, surround sound in the bathroom of which had heated tiles, large comfy bed, modern walnut furniture, fluffy white towels, molton brown toiletries. Complementary water, crisps etc. A little note wishing my partner a happy birthday was a nice touch, one that goes a long way.
Our views from our room were of the wheel to to the front and roman walls, perfect. In fact I could have stayed here all day. I cannot comment on the food as we were room only, nor on the SPA facilities, however we enjoyed a drink in the bar area which was really nice and relaxing. We did not use the valet parking, opting to park 5 minutes walk away in the National Railway Museum car park, very reasonable. I accept this hotel is expensive, we paid £185 room only as a surprise for my partners birthday. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel in the centre of York this hotel will take some beating based on our experience, even though I accept the price tag comes with it...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor overlooking the wheel, as you will get a view of the roman walls also
Dear Guest

I’m delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom and the additional amenities that were placed within. I hope your partner enjoyed this birthday treat!

It’s a shame you didn’t have time to explore our Spa, located in the whisper quiet former vaults of the building or our award winning Grill Room Restaurant. I hope you will have time on a future visit.