The Grand Hotel & Spa
Jorvik House(York)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
4,305 results
All reviewscedar courtmolton brown toiletriesturn down servicestar hotellip balmdoor staffclassic roomexecutive roomunderfloor heatingon arrivaloriginal featuressteam roomcontinental breakfastamazing hotelbeautiful buildingtrain stationbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Stayed here last night and from the concierge parking to settling in the room was perfect. Found the room a little tired for the £199 it cost it could do with a little updating and the white gloss was peeling in several places.

Having said that the bathroom and toilet were exceptional with underfloor heating a nice touch. Also very quiet which I really like -no need.

Everything else was first class and a special mention for Grill Room, both dinner and bf were excellent, in fact my wife said it was the best steak she had had in years.
Like a previous contributor we walked around York looking for somewhere for dinner and found them mostly underwhelming and touristy so we returned to the hotel for dinner and glad we did.

Check out and car return were very smooth and the young lady receptionist on at 10.30 ish on 10th May deserves a mention, dealt with problems decisively and pleasantly, an asset.

Concierge service also warrants a mention, first class at all times.

Had it not been for the tired decor as the room was potentially outstanding, it would have got a five and £199 was a reduced price!

Would definitely stay again.

1  Thank Gettingitspent
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular our award winning Grill Room Restaurant and ever efficient Concierge service.

All of our bedrooms are decorated to the highest of standards so I am very surprised to hear otherwise. The refurbishment was only completed 2 years ago. I would more than welcome direct contact at graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk to give me some additional information i.e. the room number you stayed in so we can check this and rectify immediately.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Beautiful hotel only a short walk away from centre of York. Fantastic staff from the door men, cleaners to Spa staff who all engage with you and extremely helpful. We were in Classic ( basic ) room which was very spacious and great facilities. Only problem was single glass window and we heard the noisy revellers at night around 11am. So will ask for room facing the back. Pool beautiful and the warmest we have been in with a jet to power swim against. Dinner nice. Will be coming back.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs or not facing front
1  Thank ajv14

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular our luxurious Spa and award winning Grill Room Restaurant. Thank you also for paying special mention to our passionate and dedicated team who are of course the hotel’s best asset.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I can't fault the room, the service or the facilites, we had an enjoyable 2 night stay in the hotel.

Only slight negative for me was the enormous building site 20ft from the front door of the hotel, If I had been given a front facing room I doubt my reveiw would be this good...

Room Tip: Ask if the building work is still going on?
1  Thank k8vmo
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverge Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and had time to make use of the Hotel’s facilities.

The building work on the adjacent building on one side of the hotel is due for completion soon, however I cannot be specific with a date. Obviously the work being carried out is out of our control so I hope it didn’t affect your stay too much.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed in an upgraded room. It was expensive but well worth it as a special treat. The staff was exceptional. Always anxious to help with anything, no request was too small or large. Our room was gigantic with a lovely sitting area. Breakfast was plentiful and a large variety of foods. A complementary tea tray was brought to our room on arrival. It is a 10 min walk to most of the tourist attractions.Only advice don't have afternoon tea there. Expensive and not very good poor selection of mediocre food.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank courtney106
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food& Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you mostly enjoyed your stay throughout, paying special mention to our team who looked after you so well.

I’m sorry to read that you did not like our popular afternoon tea service which we usually receive positive feedback on. If you would like to be more specific with your comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me at graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

What a fantastic place, I personally could not fault one thing about this hotel! Stayed in room 502 executive double suite, it was outstanding. Thanks to all the staff who were superb. Did not use the spa hence why I have not rated it.

1  Thank CountyDurhamJools

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, paying special mention to our team who looked after you so well.