“Very nice ...”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This hotel is faultless .. the staff are lovely and nothing was a bother to them, we have a 4yr old and the staff where super with her, the rooms are comfortable and tastefuly decorated to a high standard and the bathroom was lovely with very tasteful touchs ( Molton brown smellys .. yum) and super thick towels, beds are comfy too ..nice touchs like complimentry refreshments on arrival and goodies on my daughters bed even our car had a little treat in it when it was returned to us for departure. My daughter and I used the spa and it was very nice,( no grumbling about a 4 year old being in the pool ) it will most certainly be a regular haunt for our vists to York in the future .. oh I almost forgot to mention the breakfast ... in a word Delicious !!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, especially your visit to the Spa, your accommodation and breakfast in our restaurant. It’s pleasing to read that you liked the extra touches that we provide.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Apart from the noise from 7:30am from the building works across the street, we had a very enjoyable stay. We'd booked Sunday and Monday night with a view to staying longer if we enjoyed it but decided against it in the end due to the racket outside. We thoroughly enjoyed the Spa and treatments and would return again just for that. We didn't eat either breakfast or dinner whilst staying so can't comment on that - the hotel is in a great location, not far from many eateries. Would definitely return as this would be our first choice in York once the building work is completed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LisaandStuEllis

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom.

I can only apologise for the noise that awoke you from outside of the hotel. This of course is beyond our control, however I am led to believe the project on the adjacent building is now at an advanced stage.

It’s a great shame that you didn’t have a chance to dine in our Award winning Restaurant. Using fresh local produce to produce a menu of modern international cuisine which is complimented by a high standard of service and wine to match, I hope you will be able to take the opportunity to see for yourself on your next visit to us.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

First thing to note is the proximity to the centre and the train station. The Cedar court is in a perfect position in the lovely city of York.

Entrance is very grand and hugely impressive.

Upon my arrival at 9:30 am i asked if my room was ready and unfortunately it wasnt. I had some work to do before meeting someone at 12 noon so the receptionist said that it probably wouldnt be ready but i could relax in one of their lounges and use the wifi which was good.

Just got myself logged on and the girl came and found me. They had moved me to another room to allow me to check in early. Tremendous.

Fast and efficient check in, pleasant staff and i was off to my room. You get the feel this was an old block of flats when walking through the corridors and when you get to your room you realise your probably right.

Huge ceilings, original coving, wonderful decor, excellent curtains and the bed was to extra comfortable. I could go on and on and on about the wee extras but i will just let the title do the talking.

Tremendous !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank leedylan1998

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom.

I’m pleased that we were able to check you in to your bedroom early and once there, that everything was to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

I was lucky enough to stay at the cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa at the beginning of June 2012. My company had a function at the Royal York Hotel across the road but I was "bumped" over to the Cedar - personally I think I got the better deal. 2 minutes walk from the station just inside the walls - the location is excellent.

There were road works taking place directly outside the entrance to the hotel, I thought this would cause a bit of noise but once I entered, I couldn't hear a thing. My room was incredibly spacious, the bathroom was very large and had a separate toilet (very rare these days, I find). The shower had excellent pressure but the bath towels were the fluffiest, softest I've ever come across - it was like I was wrapped up in a cloud.

The only negative I have for this hotel was the staff member that checked myself and my colleagues in was very slow. We each mentioned to her 3 times that we were in a rush but she didn't seem to move any faster. A little frustrating but I'd still definitely go back.

Room Tip: Room 6 on the ground floor - beautiful!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank wakega11
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Berverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Reviewed 15 June 2012

The hotel is excellent, as indicated in other positive reviews.

The public areas are stunning. Kudos to the restoration--exemplary!!!!!!
The room (we had 101) was great: tall, tall walls with long draperies, giving a sense of elegance and spaciousness; comfortable beds; lovely decor; beautiful bathroom (but with somewhat complicated fixtures).

The staff were professional and polite, and this is where i say :just short of "grand." There was something--a "je ne sais quoi"-- missing from some interactions. Polite, but little sense of welcome or true "warmth."

One employee named Alan was *outstanding* ; a terrific man he is, and a credit to the hotel!! He greets guests warmly, personably,genuinely conveying that he truly cares if you have a great time at the hotel and in York. He's full of useful info and full of patience in explaining it. HIs kindness is my best memory of this hotel. So, thank you, Alan!! Whatever the secret to your superb customer interactions, please pass it on to your front desk and door folks coworkers.

Months ago, while planning of the trip, all the ladies to whom we spoke in the reservations dept were fantastic. For whatever reason, the front desk just didnt match that level. Not rude, just...sort of going through the motions.

I was with my two grandsons and they LOVED the hotel--its elegance, its comfort, and the colored lights around the pool--and its closeness to the center of York and the RR station (a painless walk with lots of luggage) The young spa assistants at the marvelous warm pool were pleasant .

A few things that might be considered: 1. Some hotels have instruction sheets for the bathroom fixtures. This might be a good idea, especially as the wand sprayer couldup soaking the bathrom as it is on the opposite side of the tub from the glass protector 2. While a nice thought, calling a staff member for fresh milk in a small pitcher each time I brewed a cuppa, seemed a bit over the top. Leave that feature, but pehaps also provide pasteurized milk in the small containers that most other hotels have,so if the guest doesnt feel like calling, they have a choice. 3. If there is a room set up for three (we had two twins, and a rollaway) be aware that three drinking glasses are needed. 4. If there is a packet of hot cocoa on the tray with the tea, let it be "complimentary" like te tea. We called down and were told there would be an additional charge for using the packet of powdered cocoa.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and the room was very quiet. It faced opposite to the main entrance
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank calinurse
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2012

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout. It’s great that you liked the restoration of the building. A lot of time, effort, investment and of course TLC was put in to the restoration of this Grade 2 listed former Great North Eastern Railway HQ to bring it back to its former glory. Cedar Court Hotels worked closely with English Heritage when restoring the property.

Thank you for paying special mention to our team, in particular Alan in our Concierge Team. I will ensure that your kind words are passed on to him to which I am sure he will be very grateful.

With regards to your recommendations:
Bath room info – we offer to room our guests upon arrival in which bathroom facilities are explained. We tend not to display laminated literature in the bathrooms as this looks a little tacky.
Milk – UHT milk capsules are indeed present in all mini bar fridges next top the tea / coffee making facilities.
Extra bed in room – A very valid point, I would have thought this is something that was already in place. I will liaise with our Head Housekeeper so we can action this going forward.
Hot drinks – The hot cocoa powder is of course complimentary as is the tea and coffee within the bedroom. It’s very strange indeed that a member of our team would have informed you otherwise and can only apologise for this misunderstanding if this was the case.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this lengthy review and to give your suggestions. It’s only be receiving feedback such as this that we can improve upon and perfect our service standards.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

As close to perfect as one can find away from home. Our standard room was large, not the typical European hotel room. It was clean, quiet, and had every possible appointment --wonderful lighting, large and very comfortable bed, great linens, chair, table and desk. The bathroom was super with lots of counter space, warm fluffy towels, great lighting, etc.
We had not planned on spending the night in York so we were walk-ins. The staff could not have been kinder or more efficient. When we left, I could not think of one thing that was not top notch about our short stay. An hour away, I found a tin of mints in my car that the hotel had placed there. Just top notch.

Room Tip: It appears that not all the rooms are the same shape and size. If you have a choice, you might want...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank talltrails
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Reviewed 13 June 2012

My friend and I treated ourselves, upon a recommendation, to a stay at Cedar Court, and we were delighted in every way.
We arrived and were greeted by the wonderful concierge, who arranged for our car to be parked, collected our luggage and gave us a map of York, with some recommendations of where to go. We checked in, luggage taken to our room, complimentary coffee delivered and a restaurant recommended and booked there and then. What fantastic service! Twin room was spacious, immaculately clean, lovely bathroom. Breakfast was plentiful, lots of choice, and a great variety. We used the Spa the next day and enjoyed all the facilities - again first class and perfect. I really cannot recommend this hotel enough.... go, you will not be disappointed.... All the staff are extremely helpful and sincerely friendly which makes the difference to your stay.. We cant wait to go back

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank holidayplanner027

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your arrival experience and time spent in our Spa.

Whilst a local Restaurant you went to in town I’m sure was very nice, I must urge you to try our award winning Grill Room Restaurant on your next visit to York. Our Grill Room has recently been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for Culinary excellence. With fine wine and service to match, you won’t be disappointed!