“Didn't want to leave !”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Stockton-on-Tees
“Didn't want to leave !”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Have just spent a fantastic long wedding weekend at Cedar Court Grand. First class service from start to finish. Beautiful building, luxurious decor, friendly helpful staff who seemed genuinely interested in making our stay special. Superb food, seamless organisation, great wines. The spa is as good as any we've visited. In summary - a wonderful experience !

Room Tip: We stayed on the west side of the second floor, very quiet, lovely views of the city walls.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
StAndrews
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed here when visiting York 22nd - 24th June 2012. It was arranged by my Fiancee as a birthday treat.
From start to finish it was a wonderful experience. From check in to check out.

Room was lovely plenty space for a weekend stay. All staff were very helpful & courteous.

Had Spa treatments which was good & competively priced.

Only ate breakfast in hotel, chose to eat out the 2 nights we stayed, but did return to lounge bar for a nightcap. Though drinks are little expensive the surroundings etc are well worth the little extra.

Recommend ''Little Italy'' for a meal.

Plenty to see & do in York. Walked the walls & went on the wheel which is only there until 2013. Worth a try. Great views.

Would i stay again at this hotel. Most definately.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to right this positive review following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom along with the service & hospitality provided by our dedicated team.

It's also great to read that you were able to visit some of the hotel's facilities such as our Spa and Cocktail Bar.

It's a shame you didn't have an opportunity on this occasion to have dinner in our Award winning Grill Room Restaurant. With great food and fine wine and service to match, I hope you have the chance to pay a visit on your next stay with us.

Best Wishes.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

My partner surprised me taking me here when he proposed to me. We've been to York a few times but never stayed here and when we pulled up to the hotel I was impressed. Beautiful hotel inside and out. Check in was speedy and polite and our room was beautiful. Lovely and big with a seating area and big bathroom with shower and seperate bath. My partner ordered champagne and strawberries in our room which was lovely. I must admit the strawberries were a little dry and not very fresh looking. I could have probably gone down to the local supermarket and bought better so I thought that was a little poor but didn't spoil anything. I loved everything and couldn't fault the hotel at all as breakfast was lovely, the service we received and the room was beautiful. I must say however and this isn't really to do with my review and that's why I haven't marked the hotel less than excellent. I read some other reviews on here and read a couple of the negative ones. The responses from the hotel I find are very condescending and sarcastic, I certainly wouldn't be happy receiving that response if I had an issue. I run my own business and although extremely small compared to this hotel I would never speak to any of my customers this way. You've got to remember that a happy customer doesn't always pass on their feelings but a disgruntled one...you know the rest. A little more tact needed I think. But this doesn't change the fact obviously that I loved the hotel and my night here with my partner, we plan to return on each anniversary of our engagement! Oh and the hotel bar is lovely, my favourite part of the hotel, very grand and lovely place to sit and relax

• Stayed April 2012
, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent celebratory stay with us. Congratulations on your engagement!!

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

All feedback received on this forum both positive and negative is communicated throughout our team to assist us with improving upon our service standards to which we are very grateful. All Management responses to guest feedback have to meet strict guidelines / criteria and are checked by Trip Advisor Management prior to being published.

North Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I've only visited for a spa day but as that's a headline feature of the hotel it's only fair that it reflects on the establishment as a whole. Cedar Court make a big deal of this being "York's first ever first star hotel" so I went along hoping it would live up to the hype.

On the whole the spa doesn't match up to that of other five star hotels (even those nearby, e.g. Rockcliffe Hall) but the facilities are good and it seems to be well maintained. The pool's nice - not big but certainly not tiny - and heated to a good temperature.

However, whilst this place may be five star on the face of it - it's expensive and attractive - there's more to being top class than that. The service just isn't good enough and that's a great shame. The lack of attention to detail at this level just leaves you feeling a little empty. What really summed my experience though happened after my visit. Having originally replied to a follow-up enquiry, the spa ignored my polite and patient response. Twice. Still nothing two weeks on. Sadly that's not even 3* - if you offer email as a contact method, take it seriously.

I also noticed that some of their responses to constructive criticism on here can be a little undignified. After all, it takes a bit of class to just hold your hands up!

1 Thank YorkView
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent visit to our Spa.

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the experience. Our Award winning Spa regularly receives positive feedback through various channels. However we can appreciate that it may not to be every bodies personal taste.

It would not of course be our intentions to ignore any e-mail correspondence so I again can only apologise if this has been the case. I am not sure which e-mail address you were using but if you try: spa@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk, I'm sure any queries you have will be answered promptly and efficiently.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This was a surprise booking by my friend...very near the station, easy walk to town, excellent facilities and the best ever continental breakfast I have ever had. It was our birthday stay and we had lovely complimentary drinks and fresh fruit.... will certainly return one day!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ozcouple123
, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent surprise celebratory stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your breakfast in our Award Winning Grill Room Restaurant and drinks in our Cocktail Bar.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The rooms and service at this hotel are outstanding, clearly a five star establishment. The restaurant also is good, considered one of the best in York. The hotel is located within the walls of York making everything walkable. I would return anytime I am in York.

Room Tip: Room 332 is large and very spacious with great views.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank teabird45
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout., in particular our Award Winning Grill Room Restaurant and our In Room Dining facility.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Perfect location, perfect service, perfect SPA, perfect TV facilities, perfect breakfast, perfect price.

Here we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Large rooms with good views over York. Nice staff with butlers both front and rear. They really make an effort to make you fell good and the succeed.

I think this hotel are successful because they feel appreciated and special.
Here I would like to return. Next time we will try the in-house restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a view to the farris wheel and try the SPA for couples