“Excellent but at super high cost” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Hotel & Spa

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
“Excellent but at super high cost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

You won't find a better hotel in town..... It's a 10 all around except price .... It's way over the top.
It's has the old English feel and the location amazing next to the Train station, the city walls, the cathedral, the river and down town.....

• Stayed June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hanicoloman
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay, however am disappointed to read that you were unhappy with the cost that you paid.

It’s a little strange that you have rated top marks in all categories but poor for value. Usually cost and quality come hand in hand and you were aware of the charges when you made your reservation. All pricing, we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and rating of Hotel that we are.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stanford in the Vale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

First impressions of the hotel: It looked Grand! We were greeted by the friendly concierge who took our baggage before we even stepped into the hotel. We then checked into the hotel, the staff were friendly and quick to check us in. I wasn't very pleased with the fact you have to deposit £100 per night to cover any additional charges to the room, however we paid it and continued to our room.

The room was Fantastic! Lovely big sized room, tall ceilings, tv, huge bed, mini bar, and clean!
It was truly luxurious. As being a 5 star hotel the restaurant and mini bar had 5 star prices, because of that we decided not to eat or drink anything there.

Overall a Great hotel in a Great location in a truly amazing City, would definitely visit again.

Dear Guest

I’m pleased that in general you enjoyed your stay and liked your bedroom.

In response to your comments and to give you some additional information:
Deposit upon arrival:
This is a practice that you will find in many hotels across the world, that a form of payment is established upon check in. Given the recent changes in the law and banks procedures regarding credit card thefts/frauds as much as it does not completely fit in with hospitality service, it is a protection for both Hotels and Guests.

Food & Beverage pricing:
The pricing of our food and beverage, we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and calibre of Hotel that we are. Obviously there are more cost effective establishments in the city centre and we can appreciate that some of our guests may prefer to explore this option.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback. On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights and it was great. This is not a cheap hotel and as a frequent traveller I had high expectations which it certainly lived up to.
Rooms are spacious and very comfortable, beds were like floating on a cloud, bathrooms were equally good with Molten Brown products, fluffy towels, heated floors, bathrobes and slippers. Complimentary tea/ coffee brought to your room on arival was a nice touch
In the evenings there was a turndown service and your room was refreshed.
Breakfast choices were good, continental as well as a variety of cooked food was available, coffee was excellent. I tried the smoked haddock with poached egg which was delicious, the breakfast team displayed exceptional customer service and accomodated all requests.
I also sampled the cocktail offerings at the lounge bar, again a great experience, the bar staff were friendly and knowledgeable.
Nothing is too much trouble at this hotel, the entire staff were at your disposal, if you need something- just ask and they will do their best to satisfy.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank barnacle08
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and had time to relax and unwind away from your business in our Cocktail Bar.

It’s great to read that we lived up to your high expectations. Thank you for also paying special mention to our dedicated team who are undoubtedly the hotel’s greatest asset.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I have just returned from a very much needed break (on my own). I did the overnight spa package and it was worth every single penny. I was nervous on going on my own but as soon as i walked through the doors that all disappeared. ALL the staff i met were extremely professional yet down to earth and made me feel very welcome, almost as if i was the only one there. I arrived at 11 am and my room was ready s was able to experience the grandeur a lot earlier than the 3pm stated check in time. WOW, my room was beautiful and so cosy. I made myself a cup of tea, there was every drink you could want all in a compact unit. My bathroom had a double walk in shower and was big enough to dance in (yes i did dance too, the bathroom had a built in radio). All Molton Brown toiletries in abundance, even on returning later in the evening my bed had been turned back and more goodies on my bed. Part of the package was Grand afternoon tea, and it was just that, GRAND, again my every need was happily and enthusiastically given, it was noted i was alone and magazines/newspapers were offered, there was no rush to vacate by a certain time either. I had a little rest before heading down to the pool, i was welcomed by the staff there who again were so pleasant and showed me round. The spa area was sooooo relaxing, all so calm & serene, i leisurely had a swim, sauna and jacuzzi before having a shower and all i had to do was return to my room to dress for the evening (walking from roomto spa in robe & slippers is very liberating). I later went into the whiskey bar, again very calm and relaxing atmosphere where i enjoyed a couple of gorgeous cocktails and a liqueor coffee before retiring for the evening. I decided to treat myselg to breakfast in bed as i had a treatment booked for 9am and didn't want to have to dress for breakfast to have to undress again then to dress again! so made my choice from the menu and hung it outside my door .Next morning i received a phone call to let me know my breakfast was on it's way, a very good idea i thought and chuckled to myself as to the reasons why they do this :). WOW again, just lush. An hour later i headed down to the spa for my treatment where the therapist was just fantastic, not just at the massage i had but her whole way she dealt with me. The whole staff here make you feel very special and never is any pressure put on you to have any 'add ons' or 'extras' you don't want. I will definately be returning and for a longer stay. PERFECT.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kathrynvicky41
Dear Guest

Wow!! Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your much needed break throughout. You certainly made the most of using the hotel’s facilities and I’m pleased you were able to relax in style. I’ll be sure to pass on your kind words to all of our team involved.

Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Wow!! A truly amazing hotel that is worthy of a 6 star rating. Our best man booked my husband and I into the hotel for the day after our wedding, such an amazing present we are so lucky. The hotel is less the 2 minutes from the station, the exterior of the old building is beautiful and grand (as suggested in the name). On arrival the staff were friendly helpful, and congratulated us on our recent wedding. We were shown to our room by a very friendly and amazingly helpful member of staff who’s name I wish I could remember. The room was very large and spacious and so was the bathroom. On arrival we put on our robes and went to the spa. The unique and cultural history of the spa has been embrace and used wisely to create a fantastic spa area. It’s lovely to see the history of the building has not been ripped out. The pool!! The water was just like stepping into a bath, no holding your breath as you a just to the temperature. It was perfect!!! We ate in the Grill restaurant we both had steak which was cooked perfectly, it came with complementary appetisers which were unusual, but a nice touch. I love York, but found myself spending all my time in the hotel, that’s how nice it was. All the staff were helpful and friendly and all seemed to be aware of the fact that we had just got married as they all congratulated us, which was a special touch. A fantastic hotel, in a fantastic location which I would love to stay in again

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay celebratory stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, so much so that you thought we are worthy of a 6th star (unfortunately that doesn’t exist in the UK).

It’s fantastic to read that our team acknowledged your special occasion. The team here at The Grand always do their best to ensure our individual guests’ requirements are highlighted to give an exclusive and more personal service.

I’m pleased you chose to spend the majority of your time within the Hotel itself and visit both our Award winning Grill Room Restaurant and Spa. I’ll be sure to pass on your kind words to our team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

My relationship with this hotel goes from strength to strength, having started badly on an overnight stay back in February, which I won't go into as it was rectified by Thomas the front of house manager who was very helpful. Since then we have gone back on 3 occasions and have loved every minute. The friendly staff, excellent service and food, that truly make this one of the best hotels I've had the pleasure to stay at.

It is true what they say, you do pay for what you get... but I assure you it's worth it. The food is sensational and the selection of cheeses and whiskeys always makes me smile.

Room Tip: Some rooms at the back of the hotel can be a little noisy because of the local nightclub. I recommen...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Harryfromsheff
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you decided to return to us to give us a second chance following a previous disappointing stay.

Thank you for also giving special mention to the cuisine. Indeed our extensive Whisky selection and Cheese trolley is a luxurious treat enjoyed by many of our discerning guests.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Booked a last minute, room only, two night mid week stay for our anniversary.
Hotel is stunning period build, minutes from the city centre and Minster by foot. Appropriately grand sweeping entrance, delightful concierges and the slick check in you would hope for in any hotel.
Car was seamlessly whisked away by the valet service - no judgement for our apparent glee at such a service - yes, I've received valet parking before, just not from an older gentleman in a top hat expressing utter delight that he got to do the mini convertible!

Room was large, clean, tastefully decorated in keeping with period. Bed was a veritable island - two large twins zipped together, really comfortable. The million tog duvet was swapped for a lighter one given we caught the two days of British summer this year!

Honesty based mini bar tariff. I like that.
Bathroom miniatures were Molton Brown. I like that too!

Staff all well spoken, helpful, knowledgeable of the locale, restaurants, attractions.

Excellent value for money - enhanced by the feeling your visit is celebrated.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet despite roadworks immediately outside window and air con running all night. It...
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, especially your bedroom and amenities within and the service you received from our dedicated team.