“Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

The staff, service, rooms, facilities everything was perfect for our stay.
The only negative was the work being done across the road - some workman really loved his drill at 7.30am so I would suggest you ask for a room on the other side of the hotel whilst this work is going on - it's not their fault as it's not hotel renovations, just a shame.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

I’m sorry if you were disturbed by work being carried out on an adjacent building. This project is very near completion and will not be an issue for much longer.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

A very nice hotel, staff were very friendly and respectful from concierge to desk staff, bar, restaurant and spa. Food was nice and the old building atmosphere combined with the 5 star decor worked very well. I would highly recommend the Cedar Court. As a business owner I fully understand the need to make a profit and corporate business make up a percentage of most hotel guets, however if I had to find any fault at all it was with the mix of business people staying there as they had a conference on during our stay and I did not like sharing my "holiday" breakfast with business suits people talking on their mobile phones, it spoiled the atmosphere somewhat. Having said that, my wife and I really enjoyed our stay.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent celebratory stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your time spent in our cocktail bar, award winning Grill Room Restaurant and award winning Spa.

York is a fantastic city, very popular for both tourists and business. For this reason, the grounds for our guests staying in the hotel will always be different and profit aside, we cannot discriminate against that.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at the Cedar Court Grand for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had a lovely time. On arrival the concierge staff were friendly and welcoming, whisking our car away for us and offering help with our luggage.
We received an upgrade to a Junior suite, which was huge with a separate lounge area. The bathroom was great, with Molton Brown toileteries, making it feel even more luxurious.
The Grill Room - we had a fantastic meal, with faultless service and would highly recommend this restaurant, even if you're not staying at the hotel. The bar had a lovely, cosy atmosphere with big comfy sofas and armchairs.
The only slight blip was it was a little noisy at times, our stay coincided with an annual conference of a company, there was quite a loud party going on which we could hear from our room, although the noise stopped at 10pm, when promised, I guess we just weren't expecting it on a Monday night! There was also the typical hotel noise of people talking loudly in the corridors late into the night, although not the fault of the hotel, again perhaps we just expected a quieter stay in the week.
All that said, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a bit of luxury right in the heart of beautiful York.

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your complimentary bedroom upgrade to one of our Junior Suites. It’s also great to read that you took the time to explore some of the hotel’s great facilities such as our cocktail bar and award winning Grill Room Restaurant.

Brigstock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

I am a serial hotel guest and love my city breaks. I had taken a quick look when in York earlier in the year and decided I would be trying out The Cedar Court on my next visit.
The hotel has just about got things spot on. It's immaculate, tasteful and retained some of its past. The staff were amazing from a telephone booking right through to check out. Concierge Simon incredibly helpful with sorting out a hire car. The room was super clean comfortable and quiet. We ate out so can't comment on dinner but the bar and lounge looked great.
An immaculate spa and fabulous pool.
Breakfast was to die for and service impeccable.
I can't think of anything to say negative apart from wishing I'd had longer to enjoy the experience. Will be taking eldest daughter for a spa break before too long and look forward to coming back for more. I hope the hotel can retain these incredible high standards.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We checked into the cedar court for 1 night with our son aged 5. We had already been to look around the hotel and were impressed so decided to treat ourselves for the night. The room was an old office and tastefully decorated, we were impressed with the facilities, and its the first hotel to provide a children's dressing gown and slippers, my son felt special too!
We didnt eat dinner at the hotel but we did have breakfast the next morning, which took forever to be served! but the food was nice.
We have to mention the door porters, they were fantastic, very friendly and the chap who took us to our room (i think his name was graham?) was lovely and and gave us a briefing about the hotel and what it used to be.
One thing i would like to ask though, is the hotel haunted? i was woken during the night and the smell of diesel was very very strong right next to my bed, i couldnt figure out where the smell was coming from, and i wondered if anyone else had ever experienced this? By morning it had gone! Id be very interested to know if this has happened before!
All in all, a very lovely hotel, the only downside was the very long wait for breakfast but it was no big deal if you didnt have a bored child with you!
One more thing, the pillows were slightly on the hard side, but again, no big deal really.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank jcdcYorkshire
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, especially the bedroom in which you stayed and amenities within.

Thank you also for giving special mention to our team. I will pass on your kind words to Graham in our Concierge Department.

I’ve not heard anything of the hotel being haunted, however I will conduct an investigation in to a diesel smelling ghost and should I see any evidence of haunting, will contact the Ghost Buster team immediately!

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Picked the best hotel in York for weekend away. Excellent spa which is well worth the stay at the hotel. However we arrived late at night and the door man ignored us pulling up with no acknowledgement and was scruffy. Very un welcoming. We had to park the car ourselves and carry out own bags inside. This was not what i was told when I booked the hotel. However, the situation was different during working hours. The concierge was respectful with excellent service with well dressed staff and couldn't do enough to help. We didn't eat in the hotel but had room service which i would not recommend. Food was cold. Took 1.5 hours for breakfast to arrive with no coffee/tea, toast or anything but just a plate of cold cooked English breakfast, The same was the next morning. So stay at this hotel to enjoy the Spa in the main. We didn't eat in the restaurant so I can't comment on that. The bar had a good atmosphere and was nicely decorated. Rooms were comfortable and clean.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Juliette T
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent stay with us.
I’m sorry to read that you were not met on arrival with the speed and efficiency that we normally provide.

I’m pleased however you enjoyed your time spent in our Cocktail bar and your bedroom.

As the hotel’s Food & Beverage Manager, I’d be interested to hear more detail on your breakfast room service which you say took 1.5 hours and had items missing. Our In Room Dining facility is to a very high standard so I am very keen to investigate this further to ascertain exactly what happened. You can contact me direct at graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

You won't find a better hotel in town..... It's a 10 all around except price .... It's way over the top.
It's has the old English feel and the location amazing next to the Train station, the city walls, the cathedral, the river and down town.....

• Stayed June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hanicoloman
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay, however am disappointed to read that you were unhappy with the cost that you paid.

It’s a little strange that you have rated top marks in all categories but poor for value. Usually cost and quality come hand in hand and you were aware of the charges when you made your reservation. All pricing, we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and rating of Hotel that we are.