“Wonderful break”

Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in York
manchester
“Wonderful break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

The hotel is beautiful, the staff friendly, the room was stunning (we were upgraded - which always pleases me!). A thoroughly lovely time was had, the building is stunning, with well maintained original features. the bedding, towels all bery high quality. Afternoon tea delicious. Great for special occasions and a bit of luxury. Would highly recommend. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to write this great review following your recent stay with us. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular the decor and interiors of the building and your bedroom.

It's great to read also that you took the opportunity to have afternoon tea in our Restaurant. Again, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the experience and will pass on your kind words to our team.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on here and I have to say it was excellent.
We arrived to a most jolly and helpful doorman who immediately unloaded our case and valet parked our car. The reception staff were so helpful and polite infomed us that we had been ungraded which was lovely. Our case arrived in our room in double quick time and we were offered a tour of our room and tea or coffees if we wanted. Our room was beautiful, the bathroom exceptionally clean, as was the whole hotel, and full of Molton Brown goodies, which I use at home, so I was delighted. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in, there were huge fluffy towels, and dressing robes. We had a pre-dinner drink at the bar which was expensive ( but then we did have champagne! ) but you do always expect hotel bar prices to be higher. We enjoyed a perfect nights sleep, so quiet, and went to breakfast which was delicious... I had only booked the continential which was more than enough for us, there were fresh fruits, homemade fresh yoghurts, smoked fish, meats, cheese and cereals, toast and all the usual stuff. The staff were most helpful and we received excellent service from all of the staff we came into contact with - they couldn't do enough to help. It is a real pleasure to have found a hotel where the doors are opened for you and you are greeted with a cheery word and a smile everytime you come in. The concierge was also most helpful in giving us directions for our onward journey. I think this hotel given its perfect location, wonderful service and luxurious feel is great value for money. I have stayed in hotels where I have paid nearly double the price we paid for this and not received anywhere near the service we received here. I will definitely stay here again on our next trip to York.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor which was beautiful and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 September 2012
Dear Guest

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, including your bedroom and breakfast the following morning.

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel and our deluxe room was breathtaking, making our stay special and memorable. Disappointingly and surprisingly the service wasn't always great, going from great to not so great. Delays at check in, having to chase up our luggage and inattentive staff in the restaurant. I suspect we may just have been unlucky but it wasn't the 5 star service you would expect.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Clairey1
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I’m pleased that in general you enjoyed your stay with us but of course disappointed to read that you felt let down in some areas. I will pass on your comments to our team. It is only by receiving feedback such as this that we can improve our service standards.

As always, we welcome all direct guest feedback to help us improve our service standards, so it is disappointing that we have only been made aware of your dissatisfaction on this forum.

Cleveland UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

My wife and i booked this hotel for our 20th wedding anniversary, the plan was to shop first day and use the spa on the second.
Hotel was nice, clean with large rooms but no wow factor, we were on the 5th floor and it seemed like we were in the attic, with no view to speak of.
The staff were polite, we ordered breakfast in bed and it was fab, also it was only an extra £5 for the service.
Be warned we pre-booked breakfast but it was going to cost an extra £5 each for a full English.
We knew about the parking and parked in the public car park next to the hotel at a cost of £17 for up yo 24 hrs, we ended paying £23 as we stayed longer on the second day.
The main downfall was the spa, my wife booked a treatment for 1pm and we went down at 11, the plan was to spend a couple of hours relaxing before her treatment then leave.
When we turned up at the spa we were told that both the steam room and the jacuzzi were out of order, we knew the steam room wasn't working the day before but thought it would have been repaired by the time we arrived, sadly not.
There was no way we could both stay in the pool alone for two hours so were forced to cancel my wife's treatment.
We both thought that 5* hotel would make sure that if any of its spa facilities were not working, they would have them repaired immediately, sadly this was not the case.
The location of the hotel is the main selling point and would stay again for this reason only.

4 Thank mfcjohn
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent celebratory stay with us.

Whilst I am pleased you enjoyed most aspects of your stay, I’m obviously disappointed to hear that you felt let down in some areas.

Your bedroom which was located on the top floor of the Grade 2 listed building boasts both original early 20th century character with the modern luxuries and mod cons you would expect in any luxury hotel. Views from the top floor are mostly very good with views of the city so I can only apologise if it was not totally to your liking. Should you have contacted a member of our team at the time, it may have been possible to have offered you an alternative bedroom.

We offer 3 types of accommodation packages 1) room only, 2) Room and Continental breakfast and 3) Room and Full English Breakfast. This is to give all of our guests a choice of which they would prefer which we feel is a sensible offering which caters to the needs of a variety of guests with different requirements. Should a guest book on a room and continental rate and then choose to upgrade to a full English hot offering on the day which you did, then naturally a supplement charge is applied for this.

It’s indeed a great shame and very regrettable that not one but two of our Spa facilities were unavailable on the day. This of course is not the norm and generally speaking all facilities are always up and running. Unfortunately on the rare occasion, modern technology can fail us and it is not always possible to have it rectified immediately as some maintenance issues can require the attention of a specialist. I will pass on your comments to our Spa Manager for her perusal. I am sure she will be as disappointed as myself in reading your review and on behalf of the Hotel Management, we extend our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We hope that this shortfall won’t prevent you from returning to us again in the future and on behalf of myself and the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

Lovely rooms, great high ceilings, beautiful building. Warm welcome and good service throughout. Two drinks £27!!! Explains why it was so empty!! Would recommend staying if the room is with your budget but advise socialising elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest

I’m glad you appreciated the building and the service you received from our team.

I’m sorry if you found the pricing of our drinks in the Cocktail Bar were outside of your budget. Naturally it would depend on what you had top drink that totalled this amount. I can only presume by the amount you spent that you would have had a premium champagne or cocktail.

The pricing of our food and beverage, we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and calibre of Hotel that we are. Obviously there are more cost effective establishments in the city centre and we can appreciate that some of our guests may prefer to explore this option.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

Just come back from a one night stay at Cedar Court for our anniversary. The hotel has a great situation, just minutes from the city centre. We opted for the valet parking which was great to not have the hassle of finding somewhere to park. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable, lovely molten brown products! We headed straight for the spa which was great, lovely warm pool and great whirlpool, sauna too hot for me, husband loved it! We didn't eat there but had drinks in the whiskey lounge later on in the evening which was lovely. Didnt sample any food, but menu looked good. Staff very courteous, we had a really really good time and wish we'd booked a longer stay! Would definitely recommend.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay celebratory with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your time spent in our Whisky Lounge.

Lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed for one night on the 1st Sept 2012 as part of my birthday treat.
We recieved a warm welcome from the staff who wished me a Happy Birthday. As we had arrived early , we didnt expect our room to be ready but the efficent concierge took care of our cases and the car while we went into York to partake of some retail therapy.
We returned later for a sumptious afternoon tea. My request for sandwiches without butter was met with courtesy and the resulting tea was delicious.
Our room had every thoughtful convenience and was very clean and comfortable. The birthday suprise package my husband had ordered (flowers ,chocolates and strawberries ) was delivered to the room very quickly and staff ensured that we had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. There was also a birthday card from the hotel,,another thoughtful touch.
Breakfast was delicious with lots of choice.
This is a lovely hotel.Set in a beautiful old building within the centre of York.
The staff,,without doubt are the real treasures of this establishment. All were courtious,,informative, attentive and friendly.
We will most certainly be making a return visit,

Room Tip: We stayed on a saturday so York was quite nolisy, If you are a light sleeper..perhaps a room at the...
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay Birthday with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your Afternoon Tea in our HQ Restaurant. It’s great to read that you appreciated the small touches that we added to your stay in recognition of the special occasion and I’m delighted that you found all of our team throughout so efficient and professional. The staff are by far the hotel’s greatest asset and it is our dedicated team’s endeavours which can go a long way in ensuring our guests’ stay be so pleasurable and memorable.