“Simply perfect”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Leeds
“Simply perfect”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Me and my wife celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary, it was absolutely wonderful , thanks to everyone in the hotel who made our stay very enjoyable. Stress buster treatment in the spa was out of this world. Thank you

Room Tip: Executive room is the best
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent anniversary stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, especially your treatments in our Spa.

Thank you also for paying special mention tom our hard working & dedicated team who are of course the hotel’s best asset.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Teesside
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed at the Cedar Court Grand for one night as a wedding anniversary treat. I booked it as I loved the look of the spa facilities and the fact it was walking distance to town and to our favourite restaurant 'Del Rios'. The hotel is beautiful, we were in a standard room which was huge! I had requested a dvd player for our room so we could watch our wedding dvd and it was not a problem at all, it was there when we arrived. Love the period features and the decor of the hotel, the staff were very friendly and helpful. We booked spa treatments which were amazing, I had the yummy mummy package and felt fabulous afterwards, very relaxing. We were disappointed that the steam room and jacuzzi were out of order while we were there which was a shame. We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food or restaurant but we did have drinks in the hotel bar before bed, I had a non alcoholic cocktail and it was delicious, the bar staff were, again, very welcoming and professional. All in all we had a great stay here.

1 Thank jee21Teesside
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your time spent in our Spa having treatments and cocktails in our Cocktail Bar.

I’m sorry that 2 of our facilities within the spa were not functioning. It’s uncommon for anything not to function so 2 going down at once is extremely bad luck. Unfortunately modern technology can sometimes fail us.

Thank you also for paying special mention to our hard working & dedicated team who are of course the hotel’s best asset. I

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Very impressed with this beautiful building and with the level of service on our one night stay. We were upgraded on our arrival but moved rooms as there was some problem with the tap in our original room. The second room was just as nice, although it was clearly a room for the disabled as the wash basin was very low down and the shower was over the bath. This did not detract from our enjoyment.The bed was fantastically comfortable and the television bigger than the one in our sitting room! The pool area was very clean and well- managed, although I did not experience the spa. The friendliness of all staff added to the five star feeling.Fabulous!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eliza B
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, especially your time spent in our Award Winning Spa.

Thank you also for paying special mention to our dedicated team who are of course the hotel’s best asset. I’ll be sure to relay your kind words.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

In celebration of al friends 40 s birthday , we decided to take a day trip to York Races combined with a stay over at the Cedar Court Grand.
From the moment we arrived, the service and attention of the hotel team was exemplary. From the valet parking when we arrived to the warm conversation from the waitress at breakfast, nothing was too much trouble.
The food was first class in the Grill Room on the Saturday evening and the team in the bar when we arrived early Saturday morning were more than happy to take our orders for our obligatory pre race meeting bacon sandwiches - which by the way were the best we've ever tasted!
The team in the spa were very accomodating and more than happy for us to use the changing facilities to get ready for the races which made a pleasant and relaxing start to the day. We followed up our visit to the sap the following morning and thoroughly enjoyed the first class facilities on offer.
We haven't even touched on the amazing bedrooms. All one can say is WOW!

We certainly recommend the experience to our friends and family and we look forward to coming back same time next year!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent Birthday stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your time spent in our Award Winning Restaurant.

Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Service perfection from start to finish. Only issue I had was the decor of the room is very masculine which disappointed me but the husband loved it. That said it was in keeping with the historical context of the building.

Restaurant service was fantastic and breakfast a joy , served to you rather than the Michael McIntyre sketch that most hotels seem to prefer ( the buffet) which has it's place but not here.

The bar is sophisticated yet cosy , this is a five star hotel so expect the prices ! Those who who whinge about the prices should not avail themselves of a five star hotel or failing that go the the pub up the road.

Would definitely return. If only for the joy of the guys on the valet and concierge service who were so friendly and helpful .

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest

I’m not sure exactly what you are referring to when you have described the decor of our rooms as masculine and have certainly never had anyone describe them as that before, however if you would like to be more specific, I’d love to hear from you – graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk

manchester
Reviewed 10 September 2012

The hotel is beautiful, the staff friendly, the room was stunning (we were upgraded - which always pleases me!). A thoroughly lovely time was had, the building is stunning, with well maintained original features. the bedding, towels all bery high quality. Afternoon tea delicious. Great for special occasions and a bit of luxury. Would highly recommend. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to write this great review following your recent stay with us. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular the decor and interiors of the building and your bedroom.

It's great to read also that you took the opportunity to have afternoon tea in our Restaurant. Again, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the experience and will pass on your kind words to our team.

Cumbria
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on here and I have to say it was excellent.
We arrived to a most jolly and helpful doorman who immediately unloaded our case and valet parked our car. The reception staff were so helpful and polite infomed us that we had been ungraded which was lovely. Our case arrived in our room in double quick time and we were offered a tour of our room and tea or coffees if we wanted. Our room was beautiful, the bathroom exceptionally clean, as was the whole hotel, and full of Molton Brown goodies, which I use at home, so I was delighted. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in, there were huge fluffy towels, and dressing robes. We had a pre-dinner drink at the bar which was expensive ( but then we did have champagne! ) but you do always expect hotel bar prices to be higher. We enjoyed a perfect nights sleep, so quiet, and went to breakfast which was delicious... I had only booked the continential which was more than enough for us, there were fresh fruits, homemade fresh yoghurts, smoked fish, meats, cheese and cereals, toast and all the usual stuff. The staff were most helpful and we received excellent service from all of the staff we came into contact with - they couldn't do enough to help. It is a real pleasure to have found a hotel where the doors are opened for you and you are greeted with a cheery word and a smile everytime you come in. The concierge was also most helpful in giving us directions for our onward journey. I think this hotel given its perfect location, wonderful service and luxurious feel is great value for money. I have stayed in hotels where I have paid nearly double the price we paid for this and not received anywhere near the service we received here. I will definitely stay here again on our next trip to York.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor which was beautiful and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 September 2012
Dear Guest

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, including your bedroom and breakfast the following morning.