“Lovely”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
“Lovely”
Reviewed 9 October 2012 via mobile

Had an amazing time at the cedar court. Check in was smooth, the room was perfect, I had booked a classic room but wonder if I got an upgrade as it was double aspect, with large separate bath and toilet. Very clean. Cannot wait to stay again!

• Stayed October 2012
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
U.K
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Just got round to reviewing this hotel although we stayed in mid August. Lovely place. Couldn't fault it in terms of decor and comfort. The staff were all very helpful and particular praise for the porters/doormen who were really friendly and helpful. We just stayed one night, ate in town and, as breakfast wasn't included in the price, didn't really experience more than the bedroom. We should really have made it more of an experience I think. Maybe next time!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your stay with us back in August.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and were well looked after by our team.
On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future. I hope you will have more time to explore all that the hotel has to offer.

Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had a night here for my birthday and loved it. I couldn't find a fault with anything. I will definitely go back.

The staff were helpful and very efficient.

The leisure centre was excellent. Very relaxing.

We didn't eat there, but the hotel is located within 10 minutes walk from York's main streets with all of it's bars and restaurants

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent birthday stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and that our looked after you so well.
On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future. I must take this opportunity to recommend our award winning Grill Room Restaurant. Serving fresh modern European cuisine using on the finest local ingredients, with great service and wine to match, you won’t be disappointed!

London, UK
Reviewed 7 October 2012

For us as a couple, the Cedar Court had everything we wanted for a weekend visit to York. Its position is excellent within a very short walking distance of all the main attractions (you can see the City walls from the windows), extremely comfortable Classic room, a lovely pool which was warm enough even for me! And such friendly, helpful staff. Extremely comfortable beds - we both slept like logs!
Any minor quibble such as fresh milk or how to turn on the heated towel rail in the bathroom were immediately sorted out. And how refreshing to have facilities for fresh filtered coffee in one's bedroom rather than instant.
We ate in the restaurant which was good though it would have been nice to have had another restaurant which was more relaxed and with a lighter menu. That said, sandwiches etc were available in the bar area.
The building itself is the old railway offices and it's worth looking out for some of beautiful art deco handles etc which one will find preserved throughout the building. The pool/spa area is in the vaults - look out for the old vault doors on your way in!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

We recently spent a few nights at the Cedar Court and had a great time .
The hotel is well placed in York in walking distance of the town centre.The room was huge and beautifully decorated and had very luxurious bathrooms .(2!)
I liked the filter coffee and top quality biscuits in the room this was a nice touch.

But what was even better was the spa area with a lovely swimming pool and a small but well equipped gym .One of the nicest leisure complexes in a town centre hotel that I have come across

We also enjoyed an evening in the very comfortable bar drinking a few of the whiskies on offer .Excellent bar staff .

The hotel staff were all polite and helpful and friendly and I really felt at home .
Would love to have stayed a bit longer .

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Lizzyfa
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your time spent in our Spa and our Cocktail Bar.

Thank you also for paying special mention to our dedicated team, who are of course the hotel’s greatest asset.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night as an anniversary treat from our children.
The check in was very quick and efficient and we opted for the valet parking for the car.
Our room was very clean and smart, the bathroom was spotless and the huge fluffy towels smothered you.
We went out to a show in the evening, returning at about 22:30, there was a function going on down the corridor from our room on the first floor, lots of people about, but we did not hear them. As we approached our room door we noticed that it was open with the saftey catch pulled accrss so that door was wedged open, the room was in effect open to anyone who wanted to walk in. Nothing was missing from the room and we assumed that it was an oversight when the beds were turned down. I went down to the front desk and spoke to a staff member who said he would inform the Duty Manager, no apology. I am unaware if he did or not as that was the last we heard about it that night.
We had a room overlooking the front of the hotel which is used as a walk way, it was noisy until about 2 am then nice and quiet, a good nights sleep in a comfy bed with a big fluffy duvet.
Breakfast was very tasty, cereal, fresh fruit and a cooked breakfast, as with most things in York, it was expensive at £20 per person.
At check out, on duty was the same person that I had spoken to the night before about the open door, he never mentioned the incident, nor was I asked if we had a good time or enjoyed our stay, we were passed a bill for £60.80, this was two cooked breakfasts, one night in the car park and a newspaper.
When I went to ask for the car to be returned, I was told that if I wanted to leave the car for a few more hours, I could but it would cost me another £8.50 (total cost to leave the car would have been £28.50 for 24 hours), I declined and left. Out of curiosity, I walked across to the NCP car park next to the Hotel, the charge for 24 hour parking would have been £17.50 (I leave other guests to make their own minds up about this one).
We used the pool and Spa area, they were excellent, beautiful pool area, very smart and clean with ultra helpful staff.
All in all and very nice hotel but (as are most things in York) very expensive.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John R
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Bevergae Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent celebratory stay with us.
I’m pleased you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.

I will pass on all of your comments, both good and bad to our team. We pride ourselves here at The Grand on great customer service and attention to detail so I am sorry that you encountered a few shortfalls during your stay which are not to our usual high and consistent standards.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

The first things that struck us as we entered our room (418) was the blast of cold air and patchily stained carpet.
The decor might have been adequate at some point in the past but now looks less than 5 star by a million miles!
The room needs a room key in the door side control box to keep the room heater running (something more commonly found in 3 star hotels?!)
The room was stained, but, clean and so too was the bathroom.
The shower unit looked a bit grotty in places, again not 5 star standard!
Room service was fast, courteous and offered fresh food.
The rooms might be a bit disappointing but the main hotel areas are very much in keeping with a 5 star hotel.
The staff generally tend to be locals and their lovely attitude makes a real difference. The breakfast staff did seem a little 'too helpful' and would have been better if they'd relax a little.
Would we go back?
Those rooms really disappointed us, so no, probably not, but, the competition in York is really poor, leaving very little choice!
No, we'd probably stay slightly further out and taxi in.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank KevoMOO
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent stay with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay but naturally disappointed that you did not like your bedroom. I have inspected the room in question you stayed in and haven’t found any stains and the en suite bathroom is immaculate. The Housekeeping standards within the hotel throughout are to a very high standard. I only wish you had spoken direct to a Member of our Team at the time who would have been able to look in to this for you and if necessary move you to an alternative bedroom, possibly even an upgrade.

Learning of such incidents on this forum is disappointing as on behalf of the hotel, I can only extend our apologies on reading this now and that you left feeling let down.
You are correct with regards to the competition in York, however we still remain the only 5 star establishment where we feel both quality and service is unrivalled.

I will be sure to pass on all of your feedback back to our team, both good and bad.