The hotel is conveniently close to the train station, with less than a 5 minute walk. As we consistently lost track of time, the proximity to the station was a great feature. It was still also very close to the city center, and convenient to attractions, restaurants and shops. It is just past the wall that used to surround the city and you can actually walk on top of this wall. I thought it was a pretty impressive structure, but my husband commented that the Chinese tourists that we passed by probably were thinking "you call this a wall?"
We reserved a Classic Double room and they directed us to the second floor. The room numbers were a little odd as they counted down one side of the hall and then around to the other (as opposed to counting up on either side of the hall as you walk further down). Our room was therefore at the end of the hall, past some fire doors, next to what I would call the back or servants stairs. The stairs weren't the nicest, but at least I thought it was good that we were near a fire exit.
However, we were pleasantly surprised when we got into our room. It had a bedroom off the main entrance, but to the left and down the stairs was a sitting area plus closet and tea service/mini-bar. Past the sitting area was the large and luxurious bathroom. It had heated floor tiles, a towel warmer, and you could turn on the sound from the TV. The bathtub was large and comfortable but my husband complained that the half-sized shower enclosure was not large enough and caused the water to splash out onto the floor. The rooms had lovely leaded windows and nice window treatments.
They provide slippers and robes, an awesome hairdryer and sewing kit (which came in handy to mend the hubby's coat button). There is also complimentary still and bubbly water plus tea/coffee. They provided decaf tea, which was great as we had bought some tasty cakes from Betty's to enjoy at night.
The "internets" worked well but you had to actually install an app if you didn't want to sign in each time with an annoyingly long ID.
Our room package came with the continental breakfast, which was convenient but not worth the money if you paid for it separately. We didn't opt to buy up to the hot meals, which I suppose if you were a carnivore, would have been worth it. The continental breakfast had fresh fruit and juices, cereal with fruit and nut toppings, pastries (muffins, donuts, and croissants), cheeses, and some sort of cold meats and fish. They were accommodating and brought me some soy milk to have with the cereal, so I was able to get some protein. The tea was fine, but the coffee, although made in a French press, appeared to be from pre-ground beans as it was not very good. We got spoiled in our B&B in Bath, where the Italian owner made coffee from a selection of freshly ground beans. It seems like a fancy hotel should be a bit more discriminating about the coffee they serve but perhaps the English aren't too particular about coffee since most appear to drink tea.
The hotel met our standards of "fancy worth paying for", and we would stay here again if we ever revisited York.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, Prestigia, TravelUp, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York