The Grand Hotel & Spa
US$107
Park Inn
US$129
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
US$68
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$93
  • Pool
Hotel 53(York)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$82
Agoda.com
US$204
US$191
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$114
US$99
US$134
US$116
Travelocity
4,305 results
All reviewscedar courtmolton brown toiletriesturn down servicestar hotellip balmdoor staffclassic roomexecutive roomunderfloor heatingon arrivaloriginal featuressteam roomcontinental breakfastamazing hotelbeautiful buildingtrain stationbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We visited York last year where we got engaged. The hotel was superb then and it didn't fail to disappoint this year either. We booked a classic room (last year an executive) both are beautiful. I can't imagine what the suites are like!

The spa was just how I remembered, clean and peaceful - pure relaxation. I went early in the morning as I prefer it to be quieter,
Staff were really friendly and the breakfast was delicious.
Can't fault this hotel at all. It certainly deserves all the awards in their already full cabinet.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Booked this hotel the weekend before Xmas to spend time in York and take in the festive sights! This hotel is expensive, as is everything in it. However, it IS the best hotel in the city. Great rooms. Very friendly staff. Exceptional service. The swimming pool/spa is fantastic and the location means the car gets a break! It can't be faulted except.......No Christmas tree and next to no decorations!?....Trowell Services on the M1 was more festive! Such a shame as it would of turned a great weekend into perfection. Come on guys...dec up!!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Turbinetraveller
Reviewed 21 December 2012

As you might expect of a hotel billed as 5* the quality of service, rooms, food etc was generally pretty much on par. A few things weren't however quite up to the mark....
Mistakes made over breakfast orders
Central heating in the (deluxe) room was broken
Meal in the Grill Room Restaurant was returned to the kitchen as 'cool/coldish' when it arrived.
The main concern - the central heating (during a pretty cold spell of weather)....this was rectified by switching us to a full suite for the remainder of the stay at no cost to us. However, a fairly noticable leak from the overhead window in the corridor of the lounge created something of a pool on the carpet - again this was 'fixed' once reported to reception.

The restaurant billed as a 2 Rosette Award. My experience didn't feel like that and at £100 for 2 courses x 2 and glass of wine x 2, I thought the experience overpriced. I dont expect a meal to come from the kitchen of this calibre and arrive somewhat cool.
Disappointing really...

On some of the plusses, the concierge service was very helpful - as should be, of course. Some, more pleasant than others....

As ever, it is the staff on the day who leave the impression with you about how they represent their establishment - some were excellent....some possibly, just having the off day.

Room Tip: If room views are important...some have views towards the minster and city walls and even better the higher you are in the building.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Celtic-Wanderer
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I feel like my review will sound really picky, but I think that's because I paid £260 for one nights stay and really expected perfection in a five star hotel. Whilst it was nice, it certainly wasn't worth the money. Don't get me wrong, the building and staff were great, the hotel is decorated to a really high standard and is beautifully presented. Our room was large and the bathroom was great, I particularly liked the fresh coffee and the molton brown products. However, there were some niggles; the spa looked lovely but was full of noisy children, there were no seats as towels and robes covered every surface, there was free water but the cups had run out and there were only dirty cups left nearby - we asked for more but they never arrived and given we couldn't sit down, and we couldn't get anything to drink (which meant I didn't fancy a sauna or steam), we just went back to the room. The turn down service is expected in a 5 star, it was nice that there was a molton brown product instead of a chocolate on the pilow, but we got 1 to share between the two of us which seemed pretty stingey to me. At breakfast, we arrived and were told the buffet would be topped up soon, so we waited with juice and coffee, after 15 minutes there was still no croissants, pastries etc so we asked a waitress; "oh yes, we don't top the buffet up because there's only you and two other tables in here now, I'll go get whatever pastries you'd like" - she could have mentioned this when she served us juice 15 minutes earlier. It all sounds picky, but this was a Christmas present break away and for that amount of money I just didn't appreciate all the little mistakes. Hotels in York are poor and expensive, but I'd stay at the Hilton next time for good service at a price you expect to pay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank alwaysonholiday24
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Having lived in York most of my life I now tend to go back twice a year.....have been trying out various hotels, but this,is by far the best......the room, an executive room was huge with views straight over the bar walls and the river. Massive and incredibly comfortable bed, great bathroom with Moulton Brown toiletries.

Proper coffee with a caffitierre was provided, which is always a nice touch.

Whole hotel has been lovingly restored. My dad used to work in these offices so meant a lot to stay there.....huge corridors and some fantastic room frontage.

My only bad comment is the whole hotel was boiling hot......uncomfortably so in the bar and bedroom area.....and dur to the road outside, too noisey to open window, and air con would not go below 19degrees.

Were greeted welcomingly and car was valet parked.....bit steep to pay £20 on top of room charges for this, especially as our car was left at the front of the hotel, however also know how expe sieve it is to park in York.

Great location, near to all sites and shops......

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple