We had an absolutely wonderful stay at the Cedar Court Grand this weekend. We are not usually 5 Star travellers, we don't have designer luggage and didn't arrive in a luxury car, so we were a little wary of how our visit would go. However, we do work hard, and saved hard and like nice things, so we were looking forward to a couple of days of luxury.
We arrived just after lunch on Friday, the hotel is a beautiful building, with a very imposing entrance. The door staff and reception staff were very welcoming and friendly, our booking was checked and we were told that our room was ready for us. We were happy to carry our two smallish bags up to our room ourselves. We arrived on the 4th floor, and found room 408 which is just gorgeous.
A huge bed with beautifully laundered duvet and sheets, a throw and extra cushions. The room has lots of storage space, both hanging and drawer space. A giant TV and complimentary tea and coffee making facilities. Yorkshire Tea, Ground Coffee, Hot Chocolate and Shortbread biscuits. Fresh milk was delivered to our room in a china jug when we asked for it. There is an iron and ironing board, hairdryer and safe in the room. Luxury soft towelling robes and slippers. The bathroom is gorgeous, we had a sunken bath and a walk-in double power shower. There is a heated towel rail and an assortment of luxury Molten Brown toiletries. The bathroom has underfloor heating. There are two easy chairs and a coffee table in the room, with lots of space.
The mini-bar is well stocked, but a little pricey - bottled water is complimentary.
My husband went down to the Spa and used the Sauna, Steam Room and Jacuzzi, he was really impressed by the facilities, very clean and well thought out.
We went into York for the evening and finished our night with a couple of Baileys Coffee in the bar - again, these were pretty expensive, but the bar area is really nicely done out, a pleasure to sit and relax for a while.
When we returned to our room. the turn-down maid had serviced the room. The bedding was turned down, some more complimentary toiletries were left for us, bottled water and slippers by the bedside.
We slept really well, the room was warm and there was no noise from either the rest of the hotel, or from outside.
Breakfast is served in the Grill, we had continental breakfast included in our price and it really was fabulous. We were seated and served with tea and coffee and toast and then went to the buffet area, to help ourselves. The selection was huge and included: cereals, museli, bread rolls, doughnuts, muffins, cold meats, smoked fish, selection of cheeses, fruit, yoghurts, pastries and croissants. We really couldn't ask for more, the food was fresh and very tasty. We didn't order a hot breakfast but for a small supplement there was full English, kippers, eggs etc available. There were complimentary newspapers available for guests.
Without fail, every member of staff was friendly and welcoming. We were greeted with a cheery smile and enquiry as to whether we were enjoying our stay by everyone we met.
The hotel and staff are top-class and very professional. It is clear that the staff are proud of the hotel, and rightly so. We were treated very very well, made to feel welcome and have no criticism at all about our stay. We will most certainly be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, TravelUp, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Prestigia, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York