“Not quite 5*”

Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in York
yorkshire
“Not quite 5*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Great location for visiting York. Hotel itself was not 5* had a room on second floor and was woken up by building works outside early on a saturday morning . Some TV channels were not working, air conditioning was not that effective. Night doorman was rude when we came back to hotel and asked us what we were doing there, when told we were guests of the hotel he just muttered something about keeping noise down (we were hardly teenagers comming home from a club ).. !! All in all we were disappointed with Yorks only 5* hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Longdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

A friend and myself stayed for two days in a executive room. When we arrived we were a little early for check in and our room wasn't quiet ready so we went for a drink and reception offered to come and tell us when it was. Franco took us to our room and pointed everything out to us he was very friendly and helpful. The room was so spacious and comfortable. In the bathroom we were supplied with complimentary Molton Brown toiletries
We booked to eat in the restaurant that evening but went in the bar for a drink first, was very impressed with the extensive drinks menu.i had a wonderful gin flavoured with rhubarb
We were taken through to the restaurant and could not fault the food or service
The spa was very quiet we had it to ourselves it was spotless and relaxing
We booked afternoon tea which was a little disappointing as our pot of tea came then we had a long wait for food 40 minutes. The small cakes were very sickly and looked brought in not homemade
I know it is very anti social to smoke these days but I did mention to the night porter that the ash trays on the terrace were all full and spilling over plus 2 empty packets thrown on the floor they were still full 2 days later I would have thought he would have acted on it . Also it would have been nice for the staff to put one of the parasols up to stand under as it was raining quiet heavily, just a couple of observations as it is a five star hotel
The breakfast was wonderful
This is a lovely hotel close to centre of York and can't wait to return

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
AndreaSCCG, Front Office Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Elaine4939

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I took note of your comments regarding the Afternoon Tea and our smoking area on the Terrance. I certainly will share your comments with my colleagues and I am sorry that we fell short in those areas.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Regards
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

... A little bit disappointing.

Superb building and location, immaculately presented and refurbed to a great standard.

On our arrival, we were checked in efficiently (though not warmly) and directed to our room - no offer to accompany or carry luggage (which we probably would have refused, but nevertheless was not offered or intimated) - just pointed down the hall. Our room was well equipped, though actually smelt of mothballs of all things (reminded me of my grandmother's!). Excellent comfy bed, comfy pillows and crisp immaculate bedlinen.

Nice bathrooms, very spacious, heating floors etc. Tick, tick, tick.

I think the thing that let it down slightly was the staff - A little bit uninterested; a little cold. I was unimpressed by the young lady in the cocktail bar with all her banging and crashing around and obvious desire to get out of the place. We overheard her on the phone saying 'oh Christ, I don't want salad' - presumably that was for her food order. It just wasn't really quite good enough. I don't care whether she wants salad or not, I just don't want to hear about it! Drinks in the cocktail bar were also very pricey.

We had a stay at Rockliffe Hall earlier in the year and I'm afraid that the Cedar Court Grand was found 'wanting' in comparison. I don't think it was good VFM and the attitude of the staff could definitely be warmer.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Turnpig
Dear Turnpig

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Grand in York. I was disappointed to read that you did not feel welcomed and charmed by our team. This is out of character; we pride ourselves that we provide a friendly, warm and personalised service to all our guests.

We taken on board your comments regarding the noise at the bar when disposing of bottles or placing food orders for guests and thank you for the feedback.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We spent three nights at what can only be described as a truly stunning property.

The building has been exquisitely fitted with high quality EVERYTHING, from the carpets to the showerheads. The professional yet friendly and - personally what I consider to be some of the best service I've ever encountered starts as soon as you are greeted by the doorman and continues up until you find your bed turned down, with a personal note and Molton Brown goodies on your pillow.

Every inch of this place oozes luxury, our "standard" room was very spacious with a deliciously comfortable bed, two bathrooms with complete with a large tub and walk in shower, excellent dressing area and ample storage for any length of stay.

In a beautiful central setting in the gorgeous city of York and continues to be one of my favourite ever hotels, I cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rach241
AndreaSCCG, Front Office Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Rach 241

Thank you for your lovely review. It sounds like you had a truly wonderful stay and enjoyed every minute of your Grand experience.

Kind regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stunning hotel, slap bang where you want to be in the heart of York.

The staff are very welcoming and are full of knowledge about the lovely old building and all the things to do in York.

The room we had was huge - quite possibly the largest windows i have ever seen! Its worth mentioning the bed - probably the best night's sleep i have ever had...i actually stripped the sheet back so i could see the brand (sad I know)...

My only issue with the hotel was parking - there is none. We parked at the train station which has long term parking - its was expensive and a bit of a trek to be fair.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and would return!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
AndreaSCCG, Front Office Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Paul H

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Grand. I was delighted that you enjoyed your room and found our team friendly & knowledgeable.

With regards to parking, it is correct, we do not have our own carpark, but offer a Car Valet service. Drive up to the front entrance, where you will be met by our concierge team, who will unload your car for you. Our Valet driver then will park the car for you and return it when you need it, may it be during your stay or upon departure. The cost for this is only £20.00 per night, similar to the charges in the NCP next door to us.

York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I recently attended a fairly expensive black tie event at the Cedar Grand in York. Before the event we could advise of any special meal requirements, as a non meat eater I had to choose the vegatarian. The Cedar Court's idea of a vegetarian starter was a fruit salad! But the main course was - and I can only describe it as this - a "splodge" of mushroom risotto with a couple of sad looking broccoli spears on the top.
The mushrooms were few and the consistency of this dish was dreadful, not creamy and flavourful as a risotto should be - I asked for some parmesan in the hope of giving it some taste, but was told there was none!! this is a five star hotel with no parmesan...........I was offered some other cheese but this never appeared at all.
I do not understand how the only vegetarian dish a five star hotel can come up with for a black tie dinner was "mushroom risotto"! I appreciate they are governed by the organisers budget, but still - I make mushroom risotto as a midweek meal at home.
As I had left most of it, I told the waitress why and then a flurry of attention was given me - a little to late. I was not the only one to mention the standard of vegetarian option - the organisers of the event were aware of it and I can only hope they mentioned it to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Julia C
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here to celebrate 2 family birthdays over a weeekend. Our party was aged from 4 months to 79 years. The staff at Cedar Court were the most friendly and helpful we have ever come across in any hotel. Our rooms were simply magnificent and even had mini robes and slippers for the children! We attended the Mad Hatter's Tea Party while we were there and would really reccomend this to those who are young at heart;there was all manner of naughty, gooey and delicious goodies to eat and drink. We would love to visit again and thank all the wonderful staff who made our stay so special.

Room Tip: I should think all the rooms are fantastic. We stayed on the 4th floor and the rooms were HUGE! Ver...