“Birthday weekend.”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My partner booked this for a surprise birthday weekend for me. We arrived on the Saturday afternoon, shared a lunch in the bar which was very nice. He had booked for me a manicure and pedicure for that afternoon, when I got to the spa I was informed it was a file & polish not what he had booked. The varnish on my hands was terrible & was redone the next day. I sat in the bar and our room for 4 hours before putting shoes on, surprise surprise my big toe nail smudged. They did only charge £30 for my finger nails but quite frankly I get a better job done locally for £5. Our room was lovely apart from housekeeping turning the heat up from 17 degrees. We only had breakfasts in the hotel, on the 1st morning the scrambled egg & salmon was nearly cold, looked like a chopped up omelette. Thankfully food improved. Great hotel with a central location for exploring York.

1  Thank Sue3127

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed for dinner, bed and breakfast and thought it lived up to its 5 star rating, the dinner was excellent, the service was excellent and the room was excellent.

Nothing was to much for the staff and the dinner was of the highest quality, the sweets that are served with the coffee just finish of the meal. Also felt the cheese board was as good as I have had.

Will book again as I couldn't fault it, its in my top 3 all time hotels.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 218 which I think was an executive, it was great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
AndreaSCCG, Front Office Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Damon W

Thank you for your fantastic review. We are proud that we are one of your top 3 hotels of all times.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed in an executive room a couple of years ago. The room was large with an extremely comfortable bed and sheets. The restaurant served great food and the wine menu was good. We only used the spa once but it wasn't very busy at the time and had a good sauna and steam room. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Beepop10

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to York.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed for 1 night with the wife, fantastic room, very spacious, great bed, huge bathroom. Service was sensational, breakfast superb and a great location. Cannot fault it in any way and can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Tails09

Dear Tails09

Thank you for lovely review! I am delighted that you had such wonderful stay with us and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Wonderful trip with my mother; spent 3 nights in an executive twin -room 338, overlooking the wall and river. The beds were extremely comfortable with the linnen changed daily, good tea and coffee facilities. The bathroom was spacious and a lovely walk in shower and I enjoyed using all the molton brown toileteries. The turn down service was great -especially leaving mouthwash and lip slave for our use and cleaning the tea cups! The spa was great and I had fun using the resistance jet stream in the swimming pool. I had a massage and a pedicure, both extremely well delivered and I would definately book these treatments again.
The breakfast was fantastic- with an amazing array of freshly prepared fruits, hams,cheeses, fish, pasteries and cereals and smoothies. Plus the waitress/table service was excellent and prompt, remembering our little quirks after our first visit. They do a very good scamble egg with smoked salmon!. I tried an omelete one evening which was lovely and a coronation chicken sandwhich the next - and although it took some time to prepare it correctly (as it had to go back due to it being plain chicken) - it was lovely but a huge portion - 3 slices of bread in each sandwhich and 3 large pieces!
The only disappointment was the afternoon tea -which I cannot recommend and will review separately. However, this did not mar our joy and I will definately return. Additionally, all the staff were freindly and helpful throughout the stay and it seemed genuine, not put on. Thank you to all of you.

Room Tip: ask for view of city walls and higher floors
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear fjwr

Thank you for taking the time review your stay with us at The Grand. I am delighted that you had a truly wonderful stay and enjoyed all our facilities, but I was saddened that you were disappointed with your afternoon tea. We will comment on that review separately.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed for one night in a deluxe room. The room was very large, extremely well furnished, clean and comfortable . The bathroom was large with underfloor heating and a gorgeous waterfall shower.
The bed was large and very comfortable , fantastic toiletries, hair dryer, bathrobes, iron, free safe- everything and more we could need.
We had an evening meal in the restaurant which was delicious and served very quickly to suit us as we needed to leave to go to the theatre. Breakfast was also superb with an amazing choice of cold and hot dishes.
We had a fantastic stay and can't wait to return!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sarah w
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here in an executive room recently and it was lovely. The hotel itself is very impressive and the bedrooms and well equipped and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and there were two bathrooms which was very useful. During our stay we used to spa facilities (massage, pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi) and were very pleased with them. The whisky lounge is a nice area which has an impressive range of single malts and other whiskeys. Breakfast was very good also. The hotel is in a good location and it is highly recommended.

1  Thank Jonathan999