“Very nice stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed for a weekend hotel break and was very impressed. Nice room with very good service (great tip from a porter to visit the house of trembling madness!) and really enjoyed the spa facilities as well. York is a lovely city and really easy to explore from here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St Andrews, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights last week. We had the classic standard double room and it was very spacious. The bed was very comfortable and we loved the underfloor heating in the bathroom. We were on the first floor overlooking a parking /service area which was very noisy early in the mornings. Rooms would be better at the front of the hotel and possibly higher up too. The whisky bar was excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There were beautiful big fireplaces in the bars but unfortunately the fires were not lit, it would have been lovely if they had been as it was a little cool at times. The reception and concierge staff were pleasant and helpful. The swimming pool was great although the last treatments at the spa were 5.30, which was a little disappointing. I would certainly recommend the hotel and would not hesitate to return on my next trip to York.

Room Tip: The standard room is a very good size, but we had a first floor room at the back of the hotel and we...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank anne f
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel is beautiful room lovely .On arrival one staff member on reception was quite frosty faced and not very helpful. Had spa treatment and checked in at 3.45 its was very hectic in reception but must admit we did receive a call later to apologise and check everything was ok. Evening meal was fine and staff in restaurant very helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AndreaSCCG, Front Office Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Leeds007uk

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you arrived at busy time and did not receive our usual friendly Yorkshire Welcome.I hope that our courtesy call later on made you feel a little more welcome. I certainly will address this with our team, as we take great pride in the customer service we provide.
I trust you enjoyed your treatment in our lovely Spa and managed to relax and enjoy the rest of your stay with us.

Andrea
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband & I stayed here for one night last week-end. We had an Executive room, very spacious, with comfortable beds and everything you could need. I particularly liked the under floor heating in the bathroom and the Molton Brown toiletries (however, we were only supplied with one small shower gel, but 2 of each of the other items, eg shampoo). The staff were very friendly, especially the doormen. We used the excellent valet parking service, which saved us a lot of hassle with parking our car.
We had coffee, bacon muffins and danish pastries in the hotel bar on arrival on the Saturday morning, which were very nice. We then went to walk around York - the hotel is in a very good location for exploring York. The hotel phoned me at 1:15 to say our room was ready. On returning to the hotel later in the afternoon, we were brought a complimentary tray of tea & biscuits to our room, which was a lovely welcome touch.
We had drinks in the bar, prior to going to a concert at The Barbican, and drinks and sandwiches later in the evening. All very nice, with good service.
We slept well and enjoyed a superb breakfast the next day. We didn't have time to use the Spa, but would like to return and use it another time. We enjoyed the luxury of this hotel, even if it was quite expensive!
My one small complaint was that the bath towel I had was covered in horrible brown stains!! (Possibly from fake tan?? Or was it something else? Yuk!) I didn't want to use it and so had to dry myself after showering with a small hand towel. (My husband had used the other bath towel which was now wet!) I do think a 5 star hotel should have towels without stains!!!

Dear alison29Yorkshire

Thank you for your review - I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us at The Grand in York. I was sorry to read that you had a couple of issues with regards to the towel and toiletries. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience, naturally all our linen and towels are cleaned to the highest standards and I have advised our Executive Housekeeper of your comments, as I know she would want to investigate this to prevent this for the future.

Once again, thank you for taking the time reviewing your stay.

Didcot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Loved this hotel. It is one of the best we have stayed in, but the bar and restaurant get a bit chilly in the evening. We find this unacceptable, and for that reason would not use this hotel again, which is a shame.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marjieO871
Dear Norma F

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you found The Grand one of the best hotels you ever stayed in, but naturally was saddened that you did not plan to return. Our restaurant and bar temperatures are set to comfortable 21 C, but are only to pleased to amend this if it feels a little too cold. I have passed your comments on to our restaurant team, who were equally disappointed that you did not feel comfortable.

Regards
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My partner booked this for a surprise birthday weekend for me. We arrived on the Saturday afternoon, shared a lunch in the bar which was very nice. He had booked for me a manicure and pedicure for that afternoon, when I got to the spa I was informed it was a file & polish not what he had booked. The varnish on my hands was terrible & was redone the next day. I sat in the bar and our room for 4 hours before putting shoes on, surprise surprise my big toe nail smudged. They did only charge £30 for my finger nails but quite frankly I get a better job done locally for £5. Our room was lovely apart from housekeeping turning the heat up from 17 degrees. We only had breakfasts in the hotel, on the 1st morning the scrambled egg & salmon was nearly cold, looked like a chopped up omelette. Thankfully food improved. Great hotel with a central location for exploring York.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sue3127
Great Ayton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed for dinner, bed and breakfast and thought it lived up to its 5 star rating, the dinner was excellent, the service was excellent and the room was excellent.

Nothing was to much for the staff and the dinner was of the highest quality, the sweets that are served with the coffee just finish of the meal. Also felt the cheese board was as good as I have had.

Will book again as I couldn't fault it, its in my top 3 all time hotels.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 218 which I think was an executive, it was great.
Dear Damon W

Thank you for your fantastic review. We are proud that we are one of your top 3 hotels of all times.