Our experience of this beautiful hotel started really badly. In fairness it came good in the end BUT only after a lot of complaining and the threat of a bad review.
When we arrived at 3:00pm to check into our DOUBLE room we were told our TWIN ROOM was not quite ready and we could go wait in the bar for 5 or 10 minutes.
So straight away our eagerly awaited relaxing break is off to a rocky start from: A) wrong room type, and B) it’s not even ready... (which, given the late check in, really isn’t acceptable when paying 5 star prices).
We pointed out that we had in fact booked a DOUBLE (not a twin) and the receptionist just “waffled” past this in order to get us away from check in without addressing the problem. We were directed to the bar where the alarm bells really started ringing as it was full of other disgruntled looking guests... clearly in a similar position.
45 minutes later (after 2 further trips to reception) we were told that our twin room was ready!
Given the lateness of the day (and my rising blood pressure) we gave it the benefit of the doubt and went to check the room where we were disappointed to find two single beds pushed together.
It took me 3 further calls to reception, the Duty Manager and the threat of a bad review before we were told they could find us a double room after all BUT it would take a further few hours... bare in mind it’s now 4:30pm and our relaxing short break is very quickly slipping away from us.
I suggested that we would go and chill in the (excellent) spa whilst our things were moved to the correct room and in fairness the reception did offer us a bottle of wine in recompense.
Clearly the hotel had overbooked and were trying to “palm us off” with a twin room which is understandable at a £30 a night place BUT NOT AT £160.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa