“5* hotel 5* price lovely hotel”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Stockton on Tees
“5* hotel 5* price lovely hotel”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Been to York many times but never stayed in this hotel. The hotel is 5* & so was the service. All the staff from the guy who parked the car, took your bags up to the reception staff were really welcoming & helpful they couldnt do enough for you.
The rooms are lovely, we stayed in a classic double the room was quite big, bathroom lovely had everything you needed. Molton Brown toiletries to use that were refreshed at turn down & also other nice touches like a weather report left at turn down with complimentary lip balms as it was cold the next day to stop those chapped lips!! with bottled water by our beds.
Breakfast the following day was nice continental selection was good as was the full yorkshire. There were only two things that I was dissapointed with and the first was the spa I wouldnt class it as 5* very small & in need of some TLC also the jacuzzi was out of order and this was probably the best part of the spa. Also the price of breakfast £40 for two people I feel is rather OTT even for a 5* hotel at the end of the day bacon & egg is what it is no matter where you eat it & what was on the plate certainly was not £20pp worth!

I would stay here again & I would recommend this hotel as the location is fantastic right on Lendal Bridge a 2 min walk to the centre of York about 10 min max walkfrom the train station.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Lovely weekend away at the Cedar Court Grand... The room was very luxurious, the staff were friendly & helpful, the breakfast was magnificent and the location is great. Only possible criticism was that the room got very hot even though we turned the heating off. The spa was a lovely bonus too, although it was a shame the jacuzzi was out of order. Perfect place if you are looking for something special to relax and treat yourself.

• Stayed January 2014
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My partner treated me to a stay here in the junior suit, it was my 21st and the only word I can use to decibe our stay is AMAZING from the service to the room it's was all spot on! We also had breakfast served to us in our room and again the service was brilliant

Room Tip: Junior suit is amazing
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My sister and I visited Cedar Grand simply to share a few drinks and have a light supper. The drinks waiter forgot our food order, and at no point came to offer to take fresh drinks orders. I chased him down to get the food as we were getting hungry, and although the cutlery came, no food ever arrived. I let them know at the bar, but there was no real apology, and certainly no-one ever came back to us with the food, or to take our order for drinks. The young man who came to us, when again I went to the bar to pay the bill, was very casual, and we felt, insincere and slightly patronising when we explained no one had looked after us.
With only one drink, and no food, we then went to reception to sort out an issue with the Beautiful Afternoon Tea I had recently ordered for me and my mum. When my sister had called the hotel to be added to the booking she was only quoted the afternoon tea price, and we wanted to ensure she could join us at the spa. The girl on reception did't know the procedure to check or amend the booking and suggested we came back to York tomorrow to sort it out! As neither of us felt like travelling back to the hotel to sort out what was probably a simple administrative problem, I suggested she looked in to it and called my sister back. The reception, far from apologising for not being able to help, nor prepared to use her initiative, looked irritated.
For me, the joy of a trip to 5 star hotels is largely down to the fabulous staff and the effortless was in which they make your visit seem special. Our trip to the Cedar Grand left us feeling decidelyy 'unspecial'.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bellaandseth
yorkshire
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We booked the Grill Room for Christmas Day lunch-we deliberately chose this room as' The Board Room' had been advertised as 'Family Dining'. Although we expected The Grill Room to be the quieter option we never expected a 'Bah Humbug' experience.
The room was cold in temperature and totally lacking in atmosphere-very few decorations-no Christmas music, no drinks on arrival. We purchased our own pre lunch drinks from an indifferent barman and had to ask for a few nuts.
We were shown to our table-next to a draughty window and handed a menu-my husband chose the soup -only for the waitress to return and say there had been an error and the soup was not available. We were aware of an issue at a nearby table and witnessed a plate being returned to the kitchen. Our turkey arrived and we waited for the vegetables..and waited..and waited-we were finally informed that the issue was undercooked sprouts-hence the disgruntled dinner at the next table. We asked them to remove our meat and return it when the vegetables were ready. When our meal finally arrived-it was lukewarm-so we asked for some hot gravy to pour over it-we really couldn't wait any longer.........so all in all more 'Faulty Towers' than five star dining. At £100 each this really was a poor Christmas experience-and one we would not repeat in a hurry-there are far better options in York, we have been to 'The Mount Royal' in the past-a much happier option-lots of atmosphere and warmth.
On the plus side the Grill Room staff were mortified and did the best they could to placate the disgruntled dinners. The GM obviously couldn't give a toss as I have yet to receive a reply from her.My advice to anyone looking for Christmas Spirit 2014-go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lmc50
Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed 10 January 2014

W stayed at this hotel as a couple in Dec 2013 and found it by chance driving around York. All the staff we dealt with were professional and friendly. The room was HUGE and the bed was really comfortable. I loved the high ceilings and wide hallways too. The fact it was converted from the railway headquarters meant that it wasn't just a bland chain hotel.

The main focus of our trip was shopping and so the location was great. Breakfast was a good selection, slightly formal but again, this added to the charm.

I would definatly stay at this hotel and would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lincoln
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I attended a wedding at the Cedar Court Hotel and must say how impressed I was with this hotel. From the minute I arrived I was greeted and had my case took off me to enter the hotel. The room which I shared with my Auntie was magnificent. We had complimentary slippers and bath robes, tea and coffee facilities and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

The staff at this hotel cannot do enough for you. The wedding room was lovely and the lounge area we went into after for drinks and nibbles was very sociable. The main room for our wedding lunch and also for the evening was just the right size. The meal was good but not quite to my taste but what I had I enjoyed.

The hotel is situated only a few minutes walk to the railway station and in a great position for the town of York. I felt from the minute I arrived at this hotel I was spoilt. I have never had the opportunity of staying in such a well run hotel like Cedar Court and I send my praise to the Manager and Staff for the well trained people they were. Would I stay again..... yes without any hesitation.... If you want good service, well cooked food, luxury rooms and to feel totally spoilt please book here.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room and was very quiet but all floors were excellent
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family