“Faith restored!!”

Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Faith restored!!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I submitted a previous review for the cedar court, based on a cancellation of our room on their behalf. The review was on the experience.... Rather than the hotel. As a gesture if good will, or the problems at new year, cedar court offered us a complimentary room, at a date to suit us! We chose to visit for my birthday yesterday. It has to be said that cedar court went all out to restore our faith in their hotel. We were given a suite, rather than a room (which would have been enough of a gesture for us, having stayed before, we know the rooms are beautiful).... which was out of this world! They even left a birthday card in the room!! The service we received was 5 star! We enjoyed the spa facilities, which were wonderful and our faith was restored.
Cedar court didn't have to do this for us. My review was already out there and I couldn't take it back.... But they did, and more than made up for what happened. Thank you cedar court. 5 star indeed!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank emma s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
york
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Myself & 2 friends who all live in York were given vouchers for the champagne nail bar which takes place every Friday between 5-7, sounds like a really nice treat. The problem with this "treat" began when I contacted the spa the Sunday before we wanted to go as I had noticed on the web site that it stated the nail bar takes place on the last Friday of every month, whereas we had gone by the spa brochure which states EVERY Friday. I explained this to the lady at the spa & she was very polite but said she wouldn't be able to sort it out but she took my details & said her manager would ring me Monday to discuss. I hadn't received a call by late Monday so called again, the guy who I spoke to wasn't aware of my enquiry so again took my details & said someone would call me Tuesday, once again I received no call so rang again, this time after explaining the situation to another person, I was eventually put through to who I assumed was the manager of the spa, she was helpful & did sort out the booking but said she would phone back to confirm, which she did the following day. By now it was Thursday so leaving a little late to confirm with the other 2, however as they are both teachers, they were on half term so it was fine. We had lunch in town then headed to the spa quiet excited to have our nail done & a cheeky glass of bubbly. We went down to the spa to check in & were then shown to the lounge area, no problems so far. The therapists who were running the nail bar were all busy dealing a large group already so we were shown through to the bar area for our "champagne master class" as it's described on the web site, this for us involved a VERY rude & obnoxious guy who appeared to be the head bar man, possible Italian? No hello ladies who are you that kind of thing, just very dismissive when we explained we were there for the nail bar. No further interaction with us, he served several other drinks then produced our champagne cocktails again with no interaction or service, I was appalled. No master class in cocktail making nor any champagne from my taste. The younger guys who were waiting were friendly however but he needs to be taken down a peg or two & have some basic manners & customer service skills taught. We were then called into the lounge for our treatment. The large group were just finishing off so we sat on the sofas whilst they all left, we then were called to the treatment tables, now I'm a qualified beauty therapist but haven't practised for 15+ years however I can still recall all the basics & this manicure was very very basic. I have short nails so they don't require much filing however blink & I missed the effort made to shape my nails, one of the other therapists did seem to be taking more time & effort but the lady who was doing my nails was terrible, I tried to make conversation with her as she wasn't talking to me at any point but all I got was how tired she was & what a long day it had been. When asked how nice it must be to work in such a beautiful building she just shrugged & said "suppose so but it's hard work". There was again no interaction with me & 5 minutes later I was done, the polish was applied very poorly, & no check that I was happy with them, just "there you go" & up she got & started clearing things away, obviously we were the last clients & as she was so tired she just wanted to go, not impressed. The other therapist who was pregnant was slightly better & she was still working on my friend as mine had packed up so this shows you how quickly my nails were done. There was no hand cream or check on whether the Polish had dried, they all just said bye & left us sitting there, the result was my nails smudged & by e following morning were chipped & I had to remove.
Whilst we were still sat in the lounge finishing our cocktails, no one came back it so see if were ok or if we wanted another drink.
All in all it was a very disappointing experience.
The star of the show is by far the building & decor, the reception team didn't acknowledge us on arrival or departure, the doorman was friendly, the waiters too, everyone else needs some support & training as they are certainly not 5 star.
My final word is for that obnoxious bar tender, I imagine if my husband & I were to spend an evening dressed our finery, then I think he would bend over backwards to "suck up" to us, as it was, we were 3 ladies dressed smart but casual with no airs & graces so he didn't see fit to provide us with either common curtesy or any customer service, well shame on him., & shame on the management & HR department for allowing such people to work in your business.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank joanne m
Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Great service, couldn't be more helpful. Lovely room, excellent food and great for seeing the best of York. Room was very quiet and concierge service was discreet but first class. Would recommend a visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a one night break and without a doubt this is the best hotel in the city. Staff welcoming and attentive, rooms large and well equipped, spa superb. Can't comment on the restaurant as we didn't eat in the hotel, but our experience was first class. Looking forward to our next visit already.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Wow. Where to begin!

This was possibly the best experience both my partner and I had received. We arrived at the reception area to be greeted by some lovely people who opened the doors for us (treating us like kings) and reception was told that it was my birthday on our booking form as it was a birthday treat from my partner. We went to our room and it was gorgeous, exactly what we wanted. Spacious, comfortable and also high end value. We were greeted with some fruit and a card to wish us both a nice stay and to wish me a happy birthday too. How sweet!

Great customer service and this was proved when we asked for an hour extension for the following morning as we decided to have some breakfast in bed. Oh My Days, we booked our breakfast in bed and two people came at 10.30am to bring our breakfast on a table it was lovely. They came in with the table and kindly asked us where to put it and we had the most amazing time. It was well worth it!!

I am so happy with this hotel that I really want to go back and stay again!!

Definitely worth it and I would recommend it to anyone!!

Thank you for a lovely stay.

Mark and David.

Room Tip: Take extra cash in case you buy something. Also £100 is added to your bill in case you spend anyth...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Firstly can I say we've stayed at the Cedar Court several times and received excellent service,lovely room, top service from staff and excellent food. But last night was the second time in a matter of weeks we simply called in for a cocktail (or several) but sadly we didn't get even one. There simply is not enough staff on to take orders and to serve, if you are not a hotel resident you just get ignored. This is the second time we had to leave without getting served, which is frustrating knowing that the hotel does offer so much in terms of rooms and other services. But the service in the bar and lounge lets it down, there are other hotels in York that can't match the quality of this hotel, but do know how to serve customers, it is very frustrating that they don"t do the basics right

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarah B
solihull
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Great location five star service great food and doesn't cost the earth the bar and rooms off it are really trendy the staff are very attentive felt like I was in a different country it was quite magical

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business