We arrived early at 12 noon. The lady on reception took my mobile number and said she would ring us when our room was ready. We went into York for a walk around and at 4.30pm we were still waiting for the phone call. As it was raining heavily and we were cold, we decided to make our way back to the hotel. Got to reception, picked our key up and got in the room at .5.15.
Not happy bunnies, as my Mum is disabled and wanted to access our room for a rest before 5.15.
However, it got much better after that (apart from check out, that fiasco is at the end of review).
The evening meal was ok, starter fine, steak cooked perfectly but the apple crumble nearly broke my teeth it was that hard. Saving grace in the restaurant were the charming, wonderful, friendly staff. The room was really nice, only problem was it overlooked the bins at the back of the hotel. So was woken up at 6.30 to the sound of bottles being chucked into the bins. We had room service for breakfast, nice and wheeled in on a large table. We ordered two hampers which were tasty, but we had to ring and ask for the pastries which they forgot to put in. We went to the Spa for a chill, jacuzzi was broken and no water in the drinks machine by the pool. The two young girls who work there have obviously not been to the same charm school as the rest of the staff at Cedar Court.
Very unfriendly, we felt like we were in the way so didn't stay long. Staff in the lounge are so friendly and attentive. Cant fault the service, very enjoyable to sit in there for an hour or two and be looked after. Anyway onto check out. Went to settle the bill at reception, was handed my card back and started to walk away. Young man said "don't you want your receipt, we could have charged you anything". I replied "I'm sure it would be sorted out if you had". His reply was "no it would be too late then". So thanks for showing me up at checkout in front of people, just rounded my holiday off nicely. Suggested for next time...."excuse me Madam would you like a receipt". Rant over....but definately not 5* with staff like that on reception! Was thinking of going back in September for my Mum's birthday, but will read all the reviews on Trip Advisor first before I book.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Prestigia, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Ebookers, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa