“Never again”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
“Never again”
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We booked our stay through a third party site as we were going to York for our 5 year anniversary and wanted to make it special by staying at a 5 star hotel.

The lack of information from the staff was appalling. They used one of our cards as a tab in case we wanted to purchase anything in the hotel. What they hadn't told us is that they would be taking the full amount of the room off the card and into withholdings. Even though we had already paid for the room on a previous card. The person even said that nothing would be coming off of our card, which was wrong.

We did get offered compensation. A measly 20% off our food in the hotel - even though we had booked dinner elsewhere but now had no choice but to eat in the hotel. Which was one staff member's exact words. Also free parking - which we were never told was going to cost us in the first place.

The room was not up to standard. I'm sorry but am I wrong to assume 5 star hotels generally don't have stains on the ceilings, bugs or dust on everything? For the minimal features this place offers, I would have been more satisfied staying at a premier inn... and that's saying something.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jessbaz83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Pulled up to the hotel entrance to be greeted by the doorman. Checked into our rooms at reception and guided to our rooms by a very knowledgeable Concierge. Used the impressive spa facilities. Pre dinner cocktails in the bar. Dinner in Hudsons. A good nights sleep in an impressive bedroom followed by a hearty freshly cooked breakfast. An absolutely fantastic experience with divine food, excellent service and beautiful surroundings. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone wishing to indulge and pamper themselves. My only regret is we didn't stay long enough to enjoy afternoon tea!

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The food was impeccable and the service sublime... the wine and refreshments said a whole story in itself. I fell in love as soon as the doorman opened the car door and the room made me smitten, lets not forget the showers and facilities... I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to experience such utter excellence.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Sam W
CONGLETON
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and the staff, service, room, bar customer focus is second to none. Friendly and considerate staff, will return again for sure and recommend if in York for somewhere elegant but not stuffy....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SONIA B
Lancashire
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I was hoodwinked by the 5 star rating into spending an extortionate amount of money for the New Year's Eve break at this hotel. I have come to York for New Year on numerous occasions and stayed at various hotels, B and B's and self catering accommodation. This was the worst. Poor service, poor food, cold rooms, bad entertainment. I have learnt a valuable lesson, 5 star prices does not mean five star service. Love York, avoid this hotel! I feel robbed and it has taken me this long to calm down and write this review.!

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Katrice
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We arrived early at 12 noon. The lady on reception took my mobile number and said she would ring us when our room was ready. We went into York for a walk around and at 4.30pm we were still waiting for the phone call. As it was raining heavily and we were cold, we decided to make our way back to the hotel. Got to reception, picked our key up and got in the room at .5.15.
Not happy bunnies, as my Mum is disabled and wanted to access our room for a rest before 5.15.
However, it got much better after that (apart from check out, that fiasco is at the end of review).
The evening meal was ok, starter fine, steak cooked perfectly but the apple crumble nearly broke my teeth it was that hard. Saving grace in the restaurant were the charming, wonderful, friendly staff. The room was really nice, only problem was it overlooked the bins at the back of the hotel. So was woken up at 6.30 to the sound of bottles being chucked into the bins. We had room service for breakfast, nice and wheeled in on a large table. We ordered two hampers which were tasty, but we had to ring and ask for the pastries which they forgot to put in. We went to the Spa for a chill, jacuzzi was broken and no water in the drinks machine by the pool. The two young girls who work there have obviously not been to the same charm school as the rest of the staff at Cedar Court.
Very unfriendly, we felt like we were in the way so didn't stay long. Staff in the lounge are so friendly and attentive. Cant fault the service, very enjoyable to sit in there for an hour or two and be looked after. Anyway onto check out. Went to settle the bill at reception, was handed my card back and started to walk away. Young man said "don't you want your receipt, we could have charged you anything". I replied "I'm sure it would be sorted out if you had". His reply was "no it would be too late then". So thanks for showing me up at checkout in front of people, just rounded my holiday off nicely. Suggested for next time...."excuse me Madam would you like a receipt". Rant over....but definately not 5* with staff like that on reception! Was thinking of going back in September for my Mum's birthday, but will read all the reviews on Trip Advisor first before I book.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front, away from the bottle bins at the back of the hotel. Noisy in the morning...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Beth Walker W
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa in February 2014. The hotel was a perfect walking distance from the train station, approximately 5 mins, and on the way towards the city. The welcome we received on arrival was as you would expect from a 5-star hotel and we were shown up to the room by a very helpful member of staff who also provided us with useful information regarding exploration of York.
The room was perfectly clean and much larger than expected. The tea/coffee facilities and complimentary bath products were the finishing touches which give the stay that extra bit of class.
Complimentary use of the pool and spa facilities is included with all rooms and we took advantage of this with a dip the following day. The restaurant, bar, and lounge are all gorgeously decorated in a very grand manner, reminding you all the time that this is a top end hotel.
Overall, a very enjoyable stay at a great hotel that offered value for money in a perfect location only 5 minutes walk from within the city walls.

Room Tip: Even the basic room we had was as large as a suite
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple