“Brilliant 5* hotel but be warned of additional costs!”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We booked a double classic room and stayed for one night on a Saturday. As it was especial occasion, we wanted to stay somewhere special, and this hotel really stood out.

On arrival we pulled up outside the entrance and my partner got out to find out where we can park. A doorman then opened my car door and said he would park the car for me! This came as a shock as he didn't introduce himself and when he opened my door he scared me to death!!! He then very kindly brought our bags in and opened the door - what great service! I have never had this happen to me before and it was amazing. I felt very important! (WARNING - you then get a bill for £20 for parking as an additional cost! I didn't realise this and I didn't see any signs in reception and wasn't told by any member of staff)

The room was an exteamly good size with a toilet on one side and bathroom on the other. Very nicely decorated being modern and spotlessly clean.

Breakfast was amazing! WARNING: you have to pay more to have a cooked breakfast.

Overall we were very impressed by the Cedar Grand however it is extremely expensive and I truley believe that if you are paying almost £300 a night, the car parking should be cheaper eg £10 a night and a cooked breakfast should be included in the rate.

I think that £600 for two nights would not be worth it, then £40 extra for car parking (£20 a night) and £20 supplement (£5 per person per day) to have cooked breakfast. Wow.

When I have just written that I thought 'what a complete waste of money'!!!!!!!! However it was one of the best hotels I've stayed in with some of the best service I have seen so we will return again but it will have to be for something truley special! We would look at a cheaper time of the year/day of the week

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Emson15

Reviewed 17 March 2014

My partner took me here as a little leaving present before he went away with the army. We loved everything about the hotel, from the quirky rooms to the staff who could not do enough to help. We ate out of the hotel that night but next time we will try out the restaurant. The spa is beautiful and serene. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

A great location near to the train station and a very short walk into the city. A really beautiful hotel, and a huge bedroom & bathroom - it's 5* service without the stuffiness. The staff were lovely and all really helpful to make it a perfect getaway. The concierge advised on navigating the city and gave us some ideas of best places to eat, always available with a big friendly smile. The staff also arranged on request for a birthday cake to be made by the hotel chef & to be in the room on arrival. Would definitely recommend and hope to visit again - even to sample more of the delicious cocktails!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We spent a day here for a spa treat and what a treat it was. The hotel is conveniently located right near the train station for those who don't drive. We drove from Scarborough and parked in Leeman Road Car park, again very convenient. We chose the couples' spa day and, as the spa has a double treatment room, we were able to have our treatments together; which is a nice touch. We had two treatments, a facial and a back massage. Both were excellent and the therapists were professional and very pleasant; and very good at their job. We floated out of the treatment room utterly relaxed and ready to order lunch, which the spa reception were happy to do for us. Lunch is served in the spa if you wish, so we chose that so we could stay in our robes and didn't have the bother of getting dressed. Lunch was okay - fairly standard menu and nothing to get too excited about. Afterwards we used the pool, steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi. All in all it was a lovely day and I would recommend it.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here to celebrate her birthday. This is a beautiful hotel with very friendly and efficient staff. The restaurant was amazing. The spa was also fantastic. Our room and bathroom were enormous. Everything about this hotel was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Beautiful traditional British hotel in a great central location. No worries on parking the car, all sorted by the Concierge. Pleasant, courteous, professional staff who are obviously very proud of the hotel. Overall this is a hotel of the highest quality and well worth a visit.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Well located traditional grand hotel. Pleasant room at the back of the hotel overlooking a multi storey car park. I am sure there are better views. It was a Junior suite, large and well appointed, clean but lots of trouble with the air conditioning in our room. They tried to fix it and were very helpful.

Breakfast also very traditional and really good. Excellent staff throughout. York city centre is quite compact so all the major attractions are within walking distance but this hotel is particularly good for the Railway Museum.

Room Tip: It's an old hotel but has been modernised and refurbished. Ask for rooms with a good view and on...