“Just Fantastic ”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Another return to this wonderful hotel and it has to rank as one of the best in the UK. The staff are so friendly the hotel so well maintained and if you need anything just ask.

We had a couple of minor issues which I am not going to disclose because the Manager, Peter sorted them so quickly and without a fuss it was as though they has not happened and was so helpful and friendly it made such as difference. So a big thank you Peter for all your help and assistance.

My Wife spent some wonderful hours relaxing in the spa with its pool, steam room and sauna.

We dined in Hudson's on Saturday evening and the food was first class and as always excellently served and presented, the suite we had was fantastic and made us feel relaxed and homely, all in all it was an excellent experience again.

Add the Grand package for your arrival which gives you champagne. chocolate dipped strawberries, a bouquet of flowers, chocolates and toiletries, it's a great way to start the stay.

I would say to end this review there is a lesson for all, that after the few bad reviews I have seen about this wonderful place, those who made them obviously did not communicate their concerns at the time and feel that it's best to be negative on TA, which I can't understand. For me it was no effort to discuss and resolve the issues and gives me no excuse to mark this wonderful place down, in actual fact if I could give more marks I would. Thanks to all the staff, from the house keeping, maintenance, waiters, waitresses, butlers and Managers. I have stayed in some wonderful places, but this ranks as one of the finest and we can't wait to come back again in September.

Well done again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,096)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was our 2nd visit to Cedar Court to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary, on arrival at the hotel our car was valet parked for us, on entering the hotel we were taken to the reception desk by Jordi, at the reception desk we were greated and we were told we have upgraded your room for your anniversary to THE  PENTHOUSE what a surprise that was, we were taken to the room and shown around two toilets, great massive bed,double shower,roll top bath with a view over York rooftoops we sat drinking champagne in the bath with strawberries which I had ordered the day before, also we had a card from the hotel and fresh fruit which was a very nice touch.We used the facilities of the spa while we were there my wife had booked us massage treatments in the spa for our anniversary,we had drinks in the bar as we were eating out in York that night ask at the consiage to book you a which they will gladly do for you . The following morning we had breakfast in the restaurant which was excellent we then chilled out in the room as we had a late checkout my wife had booked us Sunday lunch which was fantastic we shall return to the hotel again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Me and my friend went on a celebration package which included one hour treatment and uses of the facility's aswell as a glass of champagne.
First of all the hotel was AMAZING!! Excellent food and service, however the spa was very disappointing!! When we arrived the therapist showed us to the changing room then left us to fend for ourselves. For a 5 star spa we didn't expect the pool to be cold and half of the jets not to work in the jacuzzi. When asking the spa staff where we could eat we where told that we had to get dressed and go upstairs for food, however when we where walking through the spa there were people eating at the tables in the spa!!! The treatments where very good however the room was freezing. After the treatment we where asked if we would like to go back into the relaxation room. This room was new to us as we where never shown the room! At the end of the day we never got given our champagne and the receptionist that took our payment didn't have a record of us doing the celebration package after charged us for it!!! Not worth the money at all! Wouldn't go back to the spa but would DEFIANTLY go to the hotel for food again!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here just for one night for a little getaway . The whole outlook of the hotel , both outside and inside is very Imposing . The room was lovely , but the breakfast at £40 was a bit of a disappointment . The dining room seemed so full we felt like we were eating with someone else . The tables were that close together , it was verging on uncomfortable .
As I said though , the hotel part is great .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The best hotel ever, stayed in many hotels over the years but this out did them all for genuine friendliness and help with all there services,the stay was a treat for my husband as he has just supported me after a serious operation for cancer ,we shall be staying again very soon.

Room Tip: Room 101 corner room quite and comfortable
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here - lovely room, wonderful spa, everything thought of, great staff. Can't think of any negative points! Everything was really well thought through and the room was spacious.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

This was a special treat to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday and we both loved it.

A really beautiful building and the best service I've ever experienced. There was a slight hiccup with one of the special arrangements that I had made for my husband, but the concierge, and later the reception staff, dealt with it very professionally and in a very positive way.

I had chosen one of the Deluxe rooms, which was very bright and sunny, a generous size and had a beautiful bathroom with a double shower and a huge bath. I know all the rooms are unique, so I imagine they all have things that make them special.

Just need to look for an excuse to go back.