“Cedar Court Grand Hotel review”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Cedar Court Grand Hotel review”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend to celebrate my birthday. The hotel is absolutely top class and deserving of the 5 stars. Lovely spacious rooms, excellent food in two restaurants, lovely spa, great cocktails, perfectly positioned and the staff were amazing and treated us like VIPs. We will definitely be back and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a special place to stay in York.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sam R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Definitely 100% the best hotel and spa experience yet, the hotel itself is stunning and in the perfect location within York. We were greeted at the front where our bags and car were looked after, then checked in with the fantastic news that the hotel had upgraded us to a Suite courtesy of them. The room was huge, with two bathrooms, wardrobes and its own living room we were spoilt for space. It was spotless and cleaned well, and having our room 'turned down' for both evenings was a lovely touch. We also dined within the hotel for afternoon tea, breakfast and dinner. All three were fantastic, food was amazing and staff were professional, helpful and friendly. The spa was lovely also, and treatments were great; very relaxing. All round we had the most amazing two day break at the Cedar Grand Court, and cannot wait to visit again. A mention to 'Jordi' who was a great host showing us to our room and telling us about the hotel.

Room Tip: The classic I originally booked looked huge. However I would recommend the Suite for a proper treat.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucy S
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Had afternoon tea here with my daughters. I had already notified the restaurant of my daughters dietary requirements several weeks ago when we booked so was quite disappointed to be presented with 2 coconut macaroons, an almond slice, all available at the local supermarket! We thought that they would have made more of an effort to reflect the cost and status of the hotel. Loved the experience and the ambiance though! Just felt let down by the food!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Bev157
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel in January, I myself having stayed twice before. We had two executive rooms which were spacious, quiet and well appointed. As before, the food was excellent, both the breakfast and dinner on each night. This hotel is very well located for the city centre and only 3 minutes walk from York railway station, although being situated in a quiet enclave. The interior décor is very inviting and grand. Service was tip top and the range of drinks available in the bar (All served at your seat) was excellent. The ambience in the main restaurant is very relaxing and the service individual and attentive. Once again,impossible to fault this hotel. It deserves to continue to be a success.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Executive Rooms, they are well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BritishTraveller53
Paris, France
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here one night with a number of Middle East clients who were all in suites. Check in was smooth and although we were early all but one of my guests' rooms suites were ready. My standard room on the ground floor was enormous, utterly peaceful and perfectly clean. We had dinner which was extremely pleasant - my party all tried the various fish on the menu and all were very complementary. Breakfast was delicious and we left with the compliments of my party ringing on my ears. At least two of them commented that the hotel was significantly better than either the Langham or the Park Lane Hilton, hotels we had stayed in earlier in the week. For me, the hotel is a classic example of all that is good with classic English hotels - customer service is flawless, the rooms are clinically clean, big, comfortable beds, hearty breakfasts and dinner menus based on locally sourced produce. This hotel is perfectly placed for visiting York, a stone's throw from the railway stn, inside the walls and within a very short stroll of the Minster and local shops.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brands_03
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Looking at other reviews I would certainly agree with the majority of them.. it is a really nice grand hotel. I loved the high ceilings in the room, This was not matched by the size, though it was more than adequate. The TV system was extremely slow and took a while to even change a channel but I did like the option to turn on the speakers in the bathroom. The heated floor was also a nice touch. Other than this, nothing to write home about. We stayed in the Classic Room so if you can afford it perhaps upgrading would be a good option.

Outside the room elsewhere had a very '5 star' feel to it but keeping in with the traditions and history of the hotel. The bar particularly was very nice and we enjoyed many hours in there. I would however say there was a thin line between 'Historic' and 'dated'!

We visited the spa several times for treatments and to use the pool. For a 5 star hotel spa I expected something more. The whole pool area was small and would of liked something extra than just a sauna and steam room. On the whole the spa staff were very nice but a couple seemed to have an attitude!

Lastly the customer service. 5 star service as expected BUT I get the impression (and was very obvious while we were there) that the usual clientele is older couples with a bit of money behind them or older business groups. As a couple of 29/30 I felt a bit looked down too..I certainly never felt at home. I also tried to arrange a surprise for my partners birthday while we were there. Other hotels have jumped at the chance previously to assist me with something but I felt I was getting nowhere so in the end I didn't bother. I was also a little bit offended when we were asked on our check out day 'When are you leaving?' This was later in the day when I was waiting for my partner to have a spa treatment. "We are spending money at your overpriced spa.." I should of answered. It was one particular porter to be fair who also sighed when we asked for our car keys...

Overall we enjoyed ourselves and enjoyed the hotel but just felt a bit out of place.. been toying over giving it 3 or 4 stars but going for three as I have stayed at 5 star hotels before like the Savoy and this doesn't even come close.

Room Tip: Classic Rooms are quite basic. Upgrade if you can.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fireball84
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My mum booked a night away for the both of us as a celebratory trip for both of our birthdays. Upon arriving we were greeted by the doorman, who parked our car and was immensely welcoming. We'd arrived early and our room wasn't ready (which wasn't a problem) we then decided to have lunch in the hotel bar and were treated so kindly by the staff, along with some gorgeous sandwiches and lovely coffee. The surrounding and general decor of the hotel is phenomenal, if I could live there I would! We went down to the spa which is lovely and very peaceful - great for some R&R! The breakfast again was outstanding with a large choice and every need catered for.

The hotel is a lovely place and I hope to visit it again (in the not too distant future!). However what really makes the stay so pleasurable is the staff, who are so very kind and couldn't seem to do enough for us. Thank you so much!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family