“Great base for exploring York”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great base for exploring York”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel merits its 5 star rating - but don't expect things to be cheap. However, discreet and impeccable service made for a great weekend stay.
The historic centre of York is literally on the doorstep - the Minster just a five minute walk away and the circuit of the city walls is right opposite the hotel.
Access is also easy - the rail station is just five minutes walk away. Take the train and dion't bother with a car. There is plenty to do in this wonderful city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Martin H
AndreaSCCG, Front Office Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear SomersetMartin

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa.

I was pleased that you found our service discreet and impeccable - with regards to the location, we could not agree more. The station, the Minster, the bars, restaurants and all attraction are only a convenient short stroll away.

We hope to see you again soon.

Andrea Schipper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I would like to thank the Cedar Court Grand Hotel staff for making our stay (for my birthday) an exceptional experience.
We travelled by train, and carried our bags around the corner to the hotel - (Probably the closest quality hotel from the station..
From the moment we entered the hotel, until our departure, I can only applaud the service offered.We arrived arrived a few hours earlier than the 'check in time' but this was not an issue. A room was immediately available and was superb, Large, spacious and extremely well presented. The complementary coffee delivered to our room on our arrival made us feel very welcome.
I expect exceptional service from a 5 star hotel, This exceeded that in many ways and I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone looking for quality stay in York

1 Thank Ausweb
Dear Ausweb

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa. I was delighted that we could assist with an early check in and that you enjoyed your complimentary welcome drink.

How wonderful that we exceeded your expectation - our team will be very pleased with your comments.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to York.

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We have just come back from a weekend break it was amazing, I would highly recommend this hotel the staff was very pleasant the service was excellent the rooms was at a very high standard could not fault this. Will definatly be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Executive room it was really nice and comfortable would highly recommend
3 Thank Kelly P
AndreaSCCG, Front Office Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Kelly

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt looked after by our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in York.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Went to the cedar court again recently and i booked a diffrent room as each time i been in same room , was offrerd a free upgrade but as wanted this rom special i polite asked could i have the same room i was kind of looked at odd and spoke to quite rude .
I also wanted some extra things which was not in my room and sent to the wrong room when i called to find out why i was told its my falt as i refused the free upgrade /! but eventually sorted . went for breakfast and my glass had a chip which i never first notced and cut my lip this for the cost i was not hapy . i contacted the hotel and was told as it was my anniversary i was offred the upgrade thats funny cos they never new as it wasnt in my information also the room had a funny smell and check in took a very long time - I wanted to rate worse than this but iam bot due to the amzing place is and how lovely the room - without the smell was am so very disspointed and it ruined my annivesary :(

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AndreaSCCG, Front Office Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Res2011

I am so sorry that you left the hotel disappointed following your stay last weekend.

On occassions we have an opportunity to provide our guests with a complimentary upgrade. As you stayed with us previously and it seemed you were joining us for a special occassion, we selected you for the upgrade that weekend. I do apologise if you felt embarrased when you declined the upgrade, it certainly was was not our intention to make you feel uncomfortable.

I was saddened to read that the room smelt 'funny' and that your pre-ordered Champagne package was not in the room on your arrival, I will bring this to my colleagues attention so we can prevent this for the future.

On a positive note, I was delighted to read that you like the Junior Suite and hope that we will be able to welcome you back once again.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived on Friday morning and left our luggage with concierge, before changing to go to the races. Reception and concierge staff as helpful as ever(have stayed before). This was my husband's first visit and our 21st wedding anniversary treat.
We returned after the races and checked in. We had a deluxe room and were allocated room 401. Absolutely beautiful. Windows on 2 sides, a sofa and 2 chairs and lovely views.
We ate at local restaurants, with our son, who is at university here, but he joined us for breakfast in the hotel. This is the best breakfast I have had, so much choice and great staff. We had the cooked breakfasts and didn't need to eat again till the evening!
We enjoyed the pool and steam room/sauna.
On checking out our bill wasn't correct, but this was soon sorted out by one of the loveliest receptionists I have ever encountered (thanks Greta).
Was so good I booked to visit again in July as I checked out. Can't wait.
Thanks to all concerned for a lovely weekend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jantimp2
Dear Janet

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

It was lovely to welcome you back and I was pleased that you enjoyed 401, one of our Deluxe rooms. I could not agree more, 401 is a beautiful room and so spacious.

We were equally pleased that you enjoyed our Spa facilities and Breakfast.

Greta was so pleased with your comment (and that she was mentioned on tripadvisor) - she is positively beaming.

We look forward to seeing you again in a few weeks.

Durham
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 16 may 2014 for our 10th anniversary. It was a special place for our special occasion and I am very pleased I booked this hotel! The staff were very friendly and sorted everything out for us. The rooms are amazing and it's a very romantic spot!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank mattywig
Dear Matty

Firstly, congratulations for your 10th anniversary - we are so pleased that you chosen our hotel for this special occassion.

I was delighted that our team looked after you and that you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful rooms.

Thank you for the kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel was one of the nicest experiences we've had while traveling. From the minute we approached their door until we left we were treated so well by the staff. When they realized we had traveled all night they got us into a room early. The room was truly lovely with every amenity. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the train station right within the old city walls. It's a 5 minute walk to the National Train Museum and about a 7-8 minute walk from York Minster and most other areas in the old city. Hope to go back to York for a longer visit and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ellen015
Dear Ellen015

We hope you had a safe journey back home and we are so pleased that you are already thinking that you should return to York. Of course, we are even more delighted to read that you would like to stay with us again should you visit York once again.

I am so pleased that we managed to accommodate you prior to our 3pm check in time, it's so pleasant to relax and freshen up before exploring all the beautiful sights of York.

Thank you for mentioning how well our team looked after you from your arrival to your departure - we are very proud to work with such fantastic and caring team.