“A great short stay!”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 9 June 2014

So sorry for the late review. Family stayed here for 3 nights in October 2013 and the whole stay was fantastic. The Hotel were brilliant with the kids. The room was amazing, double height with huge windows. Swimming Pool, Spa and Gym were great. Had a great time in York and for a short stay in Winter / Half Term it was cracking.

Room Tip: For a family see if you can get a double height room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KKIS-Surrey
Write a ReviewReviews (4,096)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I first stayed here last month for a couple of nights with my husband and couldnt wait to go back. I booked the 'I love Sundays' package and couldnt believe the value for money.
We arrived early ,the valet parking was great, no hassle around parking and worth the cost. After the day spent round York we checked in ,the room was lovely ,two good sized beds, dressing gowns and slippers and fabulous Molton Brown goodies.We headed to the Spa as the package included a thirty minute treatment.. I opted for the neck, shoulder and back massage. It was divine I cant rate the spa staff highly enough, friendly and probably the best massage I have had .
We didnt eat in the hotel but had cocktails in the bar ,and although they are a bit pricey ,the Apple Crumble martini was sublime, in fact we ended up having three but they were sooo good, and by the second we didnt care how much they cost.
The continental breakfast the next day was good ,with a good selection ,however we were asked for our room number 3 times, no one else was, so made us feel as though they didnt think we should be having breakfast.
Good checkout ,friendly staff ,excellent valet service.
I cant wait until I can go again, and cant recommend this hotel enough .

Room Tip: If you are using the spa ,the ground floor rooms are good for accessing the spa via the stairs, avoi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Juliee41
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were very interested in Yorkshires only five star hotel we are both in the Hospitality Industry so know a little about how these things work! Loved the building and the decor our twin room on the first floor was well appointed spotless and had everything we needed. The pool was a little treat after an afternoon of shopping. We ate in the hotel and whilst not fine dining we ate in Hudsons were well looked after and the food was certainly good. Average breakfast in the morning. We enjoyed our stay overall and the Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate was not expensive.
Our only niggle was that we did feel invisible for much of our stay perhaps it was just timing.........

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Pamela H
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We booked as a birthday treat for 2 nights early in June. First of all the aesthetics of the hotel building, corridors and our room were gorgeous. This really is a stunning hotel with lots and lots of character. We enjoyed all the facilities in our room such as the heated bathroom floor and the spaciousness of the room itself. The location is brilliant (though I would definitely turn right out of the hotel and right again as that walk into town much nicer than turning left.) We did not use the spa and I must say I was disappointed that use of it was not discussed with us at check in. When we arrived our room wasn't ready and we were told we would receive a phone call when ready but did not get a call. I also found the check in to be less than easy especially in terms of the concierge parking. Overall the parking situation is a complete farce. We were rushed to unload our luggage and my car was left unlocked outside the hotel. The gentleman who assisted with my car was frankly rude, grumpy and really set us off on the wrong foot. I found him to be rude throughout our stay. Also, the charge of £20.00 a day for parking, although disclosed on the website, is scandalous. A 5 star hotel should either A) provide a car park for free or B) discuss these charges at check in. I was not aware it would cost me £40 to park for 2 nights and to me that is outrageous. Using a local car park that wasn't discussed with us? A 5 star hotel? Not for me. I assume some people who stay here can afford that. To me - we might as well have got the train. Also I would add that this hotel is definitely not for young couples. We tried to talk to the staff and were rebuffed and felt a little looked down on. Overall having read reviews we have found the same complaints over and over again. I don't feel like we got what we paid for. You are supposed to feel welcome and not have to worry about additional charges in such a beautiful setting. It wasn't a bad stay by a long stretch of the imagination but there was a distinct lack of friendliness you frequently find at less expensive hotels. How many negative reviews stating the same things until the hotel changes things? Especially with the service. My guess is they aren't bothered unfortunately. If they were things would have been different during our stay. I'm not saying avoid - I'm saying carefully consider the standoffish approach many have received while staying here. Also - I must mention a male member of staff offering us his own personal umbrellas for the day when it was throwing down. Genuinely a lovely bloke. The only person to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank JCLFAULKNER
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I loved the grand character to this place, the large plush chairs in the lounge areas, the large bedroom....soft pillows and cosy bed. Very, very nice. We didn't eat here so can't comment on that. I used the pool which was great. A few others using it too when I was there. Had a facial and the actual facial was great but the young girl doing it needs to have a nicer, more personal, relaxing approach to her work. I found her rather rude. However, the other staff seemed to be fine.
Overall we loved our stay and would definitely return.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Really looked forward to a nice weekend away ,had a lovely welcome from receptionist however was interrupted by concierge asking her questions on behalf of another couple while she was actually dealing with me ( so rude ) room large carpet very grubby so you do need to wear the free slippers at all times bathroom large and Molton brown products a nice touch ,The bar was busy as wedding party seemed to fill it .had to wait a while for drinks friend had a cocktail and it was all ice only 2 sips and it was gone no Bacardi even though they are advertising Bacardi cocktails while I was at bar another 2 people asked for Bacardi ( cant believe they ran out ) breakfast ok only had continental but enough choice for most tastes .spa facilities ok nice pool and Jacuzzi steam room not bad but sauna tiny and someone had actually vomited in it so we could not use it. overall experience was ok but lots of negatives . hotel needs to be cleaned from top to bottom to suit my taste maybe I am being fussy but the price you pay you expect something nicer than this we would not stay again, better hotels in York .

Room Tip: ideal for train station .
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank larkmans22
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Having visited for a drink soon after this opened and before any star rating, I really hoped the the hotel would establish itself as a genuine 5*.

It has.

A wonderful conversion of a tired old building (I remember visiting it as drafty, dusty run down railway offices) the interior design is a triumph of old and new.

This is matched by outstanding food and service, and all round good value.

The spa was very good too, with the old vaults done out in a roman theme apt for York.

Hudson's Restaurant sells great food for the price, with the Crab cake accompanying my Sea Bass a "historic" in Michael Winner speak, whilst the kipper for breakfast was the best I have had since the demise of GNER on the east coast railway.

Ironically from railway offices we now have a great railway hotel.

Will be back