“Absolutely 5 Star”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Absolutely 5 Star”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here many times, it is without doubt one of best hotels in Yorkshire. It Ouse's quality & class and it always delivers on every level. The terrace area is lovely perfect for summer nights eating or just relaxing with a drink. Although it can be a little windy and you need to position yourself to catch the sun, it's the location of the terrace In between two buildings it feels at times like your in a wind tunnel. Not complaining that's just how it is. We had a suite on the 4th floor where we were told by a staff member any of the HRH's who stay use these rooms. So really don't have to say much about the rooms if they are up to royal approval. The bar area is a relaxing chilling place with a very rich feel about it, love that bar, once your sat there you really don't want to move. Breakfast is excellent although not the quickest service but a Sunday morning and the hotel full it's hardly something to moan about
The staff here are excellent they have a very professional team at the Cedar Court
The location of the hotel is perfect if you are arriving by train only a 7 min walk from the station but by car it will be parked for you it is a pretty perfect set up , it's what you expect from a 5 star hotel and they deliver
I could go on about the spa gym and the many other relaxing rooms here but you really need to go and enjoy the experience yourself

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pete D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Altrincham
Reviewed 13 June 2014

From the moment we approached the hotel from the railway station , dragging our suitcases behind us and were greeted by a concierge who assisted us with them, to the moment we left, again assisted all the way to the railway station , the experience of this hotel was amazing. Any query was attended to immediately. We felt we got the personal service of a small hotel combined with the proffessional service of a five star luxury establishment. Cleanliness second to none. I would like to especially mention Jordi for going the extra mile during our stay, with his knowledge of all things York , which helped us to make the most of our stay in the city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Moe L
Switzerland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Cedar Court is probably among the best that York has to offer but is really a solid four star hotel with ambitions to be a little more. My views were probably coloured by recent experience as I arrived in York having just spent a couple of days at the recently re-furbished Cafe Royal, London Piccadilly Circus, but although the price tag for a suite there was comparable to this hotel the quality and service were certainly not.

The arrangements for check in / check out are inadequate particularly at busy times and this was compounded by a computer problem which left only one functional terminal when I checked in. Very frustrating after a long journey. The room itself was spacious but very traditional in style and without the wow factor. The underfloor heating in the bathroom made it uncomfortably warm during the night.

The spa and pool are basic and a little cramped, smelling heavily of Chlorine and with no real area to sit and relax. When we visited on a Saturday in the early evening it was overrun with noisy children and not a place to linger.

The bar and restaurant were all OK.. but again not really 5 star quality or service. All in all the whole experience from start to finish was really just OK. This is a solid business hotel but I would hesitate to book for a long weekend break.

Room Tip: Suite 405 is certainly quiet spacious and comfortable but somehow trapped in the 80's.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hugh B
Warlingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

So sorry for the late review. Family stayed here for 3 nights in October 2013 and the whole stay was fantastic. The Hotel were brilliant with the kids. The room was amazing, double height with huge windows. Swimming Pool, Spa and Gym were great. Had a great time in York and for a short stay in Winter / Half Term it was cracking.

Room Tip: For a family see if you can get a double height room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KKIS-Surrey
Newton-le-Willows, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I first stayed here last month for a couple of nights with my husband and couldnt wait to go back. I booked the 'I love Sundays' package and couldnt believe the value for money.
We arrived early ,the valet parking was great, no hassle around parking and worth the cost. After the day spent round York we checked in ,the room was lovely ,two good sized beds, dressing gowns and slippers and fabulous Molton Brown goodies.We headed to the Spa as the package included a thirty minute treatment.. I opted for the neck, shoulder and back massage. It was divine I cant rate the spa staff highly enough, friendly and probably the best massage I have had .
We didnt eat in the hotel but had cocktails in the bar ,and although they are a bit pricey ,the Apple Crumble martini was sublime, in fact we ended up having three but they were sooo good, and by the second we didnt care how much they cost.
The continental breakfast the next day was good ,with a good selection ,however we were asked for our room number 3 times, no one else was, so made us feel as though they didnt think we should be having breakfast.
Good checkout ,friendly staff ,excellent valet service.
I cant wait until I can go again, and cant recommend this hotel enough .

Room Tip: If you are using the spa ,the ground floor rooms are good for accessing the spa via the stairs, avoi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Juliee41
Yorkshire Dales
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were very interested in Yorkshires only five star hotel we are both in the Hospitality Industry so know a little about how these things work! Loved the building and the decor our twin room on the first floor was well appointed spotless and had everything we needed. The pool was a little treat after an afternoon of shopping. We ate in the hotel and whilst not fine dining we ate in Hudsons were well looked after and the food was certainly good. Average breakfast in the morning. We enjoyed our stay overall and the Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate was not expensive.
Our only niggle was that we did feel invisible for much of our stay perhaps it was just timing.........

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Pamela H
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We booked as a birthday treat for 2 nights early in June. First of all the aesthetics of the hotel building, corridors and our room were gorgeous. This really is a stunning hotel with lots and lots of character. We enjoyed all the facilities in our room such as the heated bathroom floor and the spaciousness of the room itself. The location is brilliant (though I would definitely turn right out of the hotel and right again as that walk into town much nicer than turning left.) We did not use the spa and I must say I was disappointed that use of it was not discussed with us at check in. When we arrived our room wasn't ready and we were told we would receive a phone call when ready but did not get a call. I also found the check in to be less than easy especially in terms of the concierge parking. Overall the parking situation is a complete farce. We were rushed to unload our luggage and my car was left unlocked outside the hotel. The gentleman who assisted with my car was frankly rude, grumpy and really set us off on the wrong foot. I found him to be rude throughout our stay. Also, the charge of £20.00 a day for parking, although disclosed on the website, is scandalous. A 5 star hotel should either A) provide a car park for free or B) discuss these charges at check in. I was not aware it would cost me £40 to park for 2 nights and to me that is outrageous. Using a local car park that wasn't discussed with us? A 5 star hotel? Not for me. I assume some people who stay here can afford that. To me - we might as well have got the train. Also I would add that this hotel is definitely not for young couples. We tried to talk to the staff and were rebuffed and felt a little looked down on. Overall having read reviews we have found the same complaints over and over again. I don't feel like we got what we paid for. You are supposed to feel welcome and not have to worry about additional charges in such a beautiful setting. It wasn't a bad stay by a long stretch of the imagination but there was a distinct lack of friendliness you frequently find at less expensive hotels. How many negative reviews stating the same things until the hotel changes things? Especially with the service. My guess is they aren't bothered unfortunately. If they were things would have been different during our stay. I'm not saying avoid - I'm saying carefully consider the standoffish approach many have received while staying here. Also - I must mention a male member of staff offering us his own personal umbrellas for the day when it was throwing down. Genuinely a lovely bloke. The only person to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple