I booked the hotel as a 15th wedding anniversary break and duly completed a pre-arrival questionnaire which I was emailed in advance of the stay. When prompted I asked for a quiet room, ideally with a nice view (knowing that some exec rooms do offer this), pre-ordered champagne and strawberries, complete with a message.
On arrival, in contrast with other reviews, we were not shown to our room (no biggy as I can perfectly well operate a lift and pull a case). I was initially disappointed when saw we were positioned next to the lift assuming this wouldn't be the "quiet location" I requested. However there was no need to worry; the corridors are so wide and thickly carpeted that I didn't hear a thing from anywhere else.
The room was spacious and luxurious (although no view!).
Although other reviews have said they were offered a hot drink, we weren't but again, no biggy, I'm capable of boiling my own kettle. The champagne and strawberries were duly waiting in the room, however the note was not. Again, no biggy, hubby realised they were from me!
As we arrived early we took advantage of a quiet pool area which was very tranquil
I loved the turn down service on our return to the room after a fantastic meal based on a recommendation from the concierge prior to our arrival. I had a fantastic sleep in the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in until popping to the loo around 4am. There was a bright led light on, in line with the bed, just outside the bathroom and I couldn't find the switch to switch it off. I eventually found it on another wall after waking OH up in the process
Breakfast was a little pricy (but tasty) and ordinarily I would have headed to Bettys but as it was our anniversary we didn't want to be rushed in the morning.
We parked the car ourselves as we were staying for around 36 hours, so found a more competitive location than that offered by the hotel. As others mentioned, we weren't offered onward water, but again, no biggy, I'm capable of hydrating myself
As you can tell by my review, I feel this is an occasion when the hotel has fallen foul of trip advisor; I had a lovely stay, and have booked to go again in the summer hols, this time taking our daughter (and being charged £25 additionally for a bed in the room for her). However I don't feel we had any of the "little touches" of which other guests have spoken. Indeed, I haven't been sent a pre-arrival questionnaire so I don't know if that's now stopped as that, too, does raise expectations somewhat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York