I stayed here before and thoroughly enjoyed it, 5 star claims, 5 star pricing therefore I had high expectations. The hotel felt like a different place....
It started on arrival where I had to struggle up the steps of the hotel vs being assisted with the bags. The welcome at reception was warm but one of the rooms I booked was not ready even at 3pm!!!! I received an apology but no estimate on when it would be ready and no offer of tea or anything while we waited, poor show on that.
Finally got the room after an hour waiting, the room was a twin (205 or 206) and was welcomed with a big stain on the wall where a room from above must have leaked (nice in 5 star). My issue is not the stain but the fact that the hotel thought it was ok to let guests have that room at all.
The next morning there was an ear piecing sound from the same room the guests ran the bath and the pipes were screaming! I could hear it in my room which was across the hall.
Rooms were still comfortable and clean but the fridge was noisy.
Visited the bar and it was still ok as was the breakfast.
All in all -a bit of a let down. I hope standards improve.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Odigeo, TravelUp, Prestigia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York