“A good hotel in the midst of the city.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Hotel & Spa

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Boston, Massachusetts
“A good hotel in the midst of the city.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

When another hotel in York mysteriously lost my reservation, I spent the night here. The bedrooms are of a very good size, with bathrooms to match. The decoration is somewhat on the austere side, but the rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. The only strange feature about my room, number 102, was a green light inside the room, which I could not turn off, and was told was part of the hotel safety system should the power fail. While the full breakfast the next morning was 20 pounds, the food, particularly the smoked salmon was good, and the service very attentive. Should I return to York, I will either stay here or at Middlethorpe, but Cedar Court has the benefit of being in the city centre, as well as being relatively quiet.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Charles H
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Charles H

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

It is always pleasing to hear that our guests have had pleasant stays with us and that they have enjoyed there stay. In particular it was nice to hear that you had a good stay in room 102 and described it as relatively quiet, Mr Sanderson who has posted a review a few before yours stayed in this room as well and said it was particularly noisy, so its nice to receive a balanced view on this.

I am sorry that the emergency light was bright and I will have this looked at by our maintenence team, they are a legal requirement but perhaps we could look at this being somewhere less obtrusive.

We do offer an extensive buffet for breakfast which includes your choice of plated hot food and a vast slection of contiental buffet food.

Ben Morcombe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Liversedge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel has high standards the food is very good indeed the spa is excellent overall a good stay was achieved and will return again. Good for walking into York town center close to main attractions ( the york railway museum. York Minster and the Shambles)

Dear Martin P

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your trip to York and your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that the location worked out perfectly for you. I am equally delighted to hear that you enjoyed both our food offering in our two restaurants and the spa.

I hope that this encourages you to return to us again in the near future.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Whilst the hotel is lovely it does fall down on the little things that make a hotel truly 5 star. The spa isn't up to the standard expected and similar priced hotels offer much better facilities. The real advantage of this hotel is being in such a great location so it's still worst a visit.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom H
Dear Tom H

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our location in york, so close to the rail station and yet walking distance from the centre of town.

I am sorry that some areas fell short and would love to address them if you had provided a little more information on these. With regards to the spa we are in the process of looking into t afull refurbishment of this area, despite it only being 4 years hold, which hopefully will provide more space for health and beauty treatments.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Booked junior suite and specifically requested on the booking a quiet room with view and not to be overtlooking car park. At check in I was not notified that they could not comply with my specific booking request. I received a room where I was woken at 05:45am every morning by the refuse collection followed by the road sweep and then recycling collection. In between this was the costant drone of traffic passing by on the roads all aroudn the hotel. The poor attempt at secondary double glazing on the huge windows was ineffective. The air conditioning failed to regulate the room temperature at the required level and the fan / outlet was positioned directly above the headboard of the bed providing a constant drone resulting in one having to switch the air conditioning off to sleep. The heated floor in the bathroom did not work. Grand prospects and prices that failed to delvier. I will not return.

Room Tip: Don't book Junior Suite
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Martin S
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Trundling up from York Station with our suitcases (not worth the taxi fare) the first thing that hits you about the hotel from the outside is the sheer size of the building and its extremely attractive external design. A thoughtfully-provided ramp up to the front door, a friendly greeting from the dressed-up-to-the-nines doorman and you're inside a sizeable reception area which reminds of you of exactly what it used to be - the reception of the head office of the former North Eastern Railway first built in the early 1900's. I love that CC have taken great pains to maintain and restore the building's original features and details. So, I agree 100% with the hotel's blurb that it has been modernised for maximum comfort but retains much of its period charm.

Its location - while not being right in the middle of the city - is really only a few minutes walk away over the Ouse bridge and - after having dinner in the centre - does at least give you a little exercise!

We were quickly and efficiently dealt with at reception and then guided to our room by a York stalwart who knew all of the history hotel and its connections with the NER. Down to the connection between certain a wall colour and that of "The Flying Scotsman" locomotive. Much of the building evokes its days as an office building - complete with the old office numbers, safe doors and many other features. Anyone who has any nostalgia about the good old days of the railways can't help to be affected I would say.

The room was large and comfortable - more than enough space for the additional bed for my teenage daughter who was travelling with myself and my wife. Cumfy beds and chairs and attractive decorations. A separate toilet and bathroom which I like - not too common these days. No cleanliness issues for us (unlike previous reviewers).

Just wandering the corridors and going up and down the stairs one felt a bit like a visitor to a museum - but a very recently refurbished one. The series of public rooms on the ground floor corridor are just great for sitting back and relaxing - maybe reading or, as I did with my daughter, playing a game of Scrabble (other board games also supplied)! I only wish the weather had been more miserable so that I could have spent more time in them!!

Breakfast was consistently excellent and certainly not expensive by London standards. And what a fabulous change to be able to pick from an a la carte menu for the hot dishes - too many hotels have adopted the all-in buffet style these days - these are easier of course but the quality always suffers. Service in the restaurant also excellent - friendly but efficient too.

We also enjoyed an afternoon tea which was scrumptious - sandwiches, scones and loads of small cakes with a wide choice of teas. We had one dinner in the hotel and although it was a bit pricy we found it to be pretty good although (and I admit it was our only complaint about the whole hotel experience) my wife's fish appeared to have been previously frozen and the fish not entirely warmed through in its centre (it was quite thick). A replacement was offered but - as often happens - the moment had passed and I and my daughter had almost finished our main courses by then. Probably just a one-off issue that night.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and can thoroughly recommend it - from almost every angle. It does depend of course on your taste - it's not light, bright and of modern design - that's not what it's intended to be. It has, however, been modernized in all the main respects while definitely retaining the aura of its former glory days with the railways. A great combination!

Thanks to all the staff at the hotel. We'd love to come back one day!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank OliverPerth_WA
Dear OliverPerth_WA

We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed the historical building we are lucky enough to call our hotel, and that the modernising of the building into a 5 star hotel hasnt come at the expensive of the character of it.

To hear that you were also able to use all the other facilities and our dining rooms and that you enjoyed these is also a pleasure.

I do hope that you are able to visit again soon.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked originally in a neighbouring hotel to find it was small, disgusting and smelly.

We called Cedar who had one room left and accommodated us.

Room was described as 14foot if not higher ceilings.. With draping curtains ...

Bathroom was stunning

Bed was massive with fresh clean bedding.

Would go again and would recommended .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Gregwmc

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

I am pleased to hear that we were able to accomodate you at short notice and that you enjoyed the spacious rooms that we have to offer. As the old headquarters of North Eastern railways the historic building lends itself perfectly to spacious, well appoited bedrooms.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have been to York 4 times and every time I head to the Cedar Court. It is the only 5 star hotel in Yorkshire I am told. The service is absolutely the best. the concierge is Jordi - born in London, of Spanish heritage and speaks Spanish fluently. He was the best concierge I have ever dealt with. While away at the office, he attended to my wife's every question - from places to see to restaurants to eat at. So the service is fabulous. The hotel bar is a wonderful place to meet colleagues. The room was delightful. The spa includes a pool that is beautifully maintained - we went for a late evening dip which was grand. All in all, it is the place to go when visiting York. You will be delighted (and the price is right)!

Room Tip: Ask Jordi (concierge) for best tips
1 Thank Havasupai
Dear Havasupai

Thank you for taking the time to review your trip to York and your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

I am so pleased to read such a wonderful review of not only this visit but past visits to, and to know that our team led by Jordi have looked after you so well. We are very lucky to have such a fantastic team of people who look after our guests, yourselves included, so well.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.