4,675 results
All reviews cedar court molton brown toiletries turn down service star hotel rise restaurant lip balm door staff classic room executive room underfloor heating on arrival original features amazing hotel steam room beautiful building double shower separate toilet
Reviewed 31 October 2015

We booked an executive room, breakfast, afternoon tea and spa (one hour each, any treatment) package to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We got a welcome card in our room (406, which was large and well appointed, but more about that later), but no other unprompted acknowledgment of our special anniversary - certainly not an upgrade that other posters have mentioned. But that was OK as the room was nice, the staff friendly and the spa treatments were great. So far so good!
The afternoon tea was very pleasant, served in the traditional way. We were asked if we wanted still or sparkling water with it, so we had some water as well as our tea. At the time I had no idea that we were being charged for it - no bill was presented (relevant to what happened later on).
After the spa treatments and before going out for dinner we wanted to have a bath/shower. But the water in both the bath and shower was tepid to cold. When I mentioned it to the front desk she said that they could get an engineer in the following day. But we were only there overnight, so whilst this would obviously resolve the problem for the next guest, it wasn't going to help us.
The following morning (after my lukewarm shower) we went down for breakfast, to find that our package only covered continental breakfast and that if we wanted a cooked breakfast we would need to pay £5 each more. When I looked back at the documentation from the time of booking it did indeed say 'continental breakfast' but I was not offered the option of a full breakfast at the time of booking. It seems very penny pinching of the hotel, having taken £388 off me for the package to then ask for another £10 for the privilege of scrambled eggs!
When checking out I did complain that a supply of hot water is a basic requirement in any hotel never mind a 5 star one. Front desk agreed, apologised and moved to see what she could do to make up for this basic failure. She looked at my bill and said that I had pre-paid the package and there was only £4.95 on the bill which she would be happy to take off my payment. I was surprised that there was even this on the bill, and it turned out that they had charged this for sparkling water at tea - no-one had told me I was paying for it and no bill was presented. Whether it was right or wrong to charge for the water, to offer a drink and not present the bill at the time is not on.
So I got £4.95 off the bill and an apology for the cold water! I felt they could have done more, but they seemed to be stuck by the fact that we had pre-paid for our stay (easy to get round in my view). They could have even offered a complimentary afternoon tea on our departing day - we were leaving our luggage with them until our train at 5.30pm - but they did not show this initiative. When I emailed as a follow-up about the lack of hot water I got an apology and a promise to make it up to us next time - this hardly redresses the issue which they had plenty of opportunity to do so at the time.
So a good hotel in a great location and with some great facilities too, but a lack of proactivity and problem resolution from staff clearly not empowered to do something to resolve a fundamental problem with the plumbing in our room........and we certainly did not feel we were looked after on our special wedding anniversary. Despite their promise of 'really looking after us well' on our next visit, I suspect we will give this place a miss....after all they had every chance to look after us well this time.

Room Tip: Room 406 was spacious, but I would check that your room has hot running water before you unpack
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2015

Dear JSM8,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us at the Grand Hotel and Spa.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to the usual standards and that an issue with hot water in your room led to some disruption. Please rest assured that this is not our usual standard and if I could kindly ask you contact me directly on ben.morcombe@thegrandyork.co.uk I would happily discuss this further.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

I absolutely love this place. Loads of character, great rooms, incredibly friendly, warm and welcoming staff. Of the various places I've stayed in York - this is by far the best.

The Hotel's near the station and just over the bridge from the town centre. There's a free spa if you're staying, and a really nice restaurant.

We stayed a night for my Partner's Birthday and it was just perfect. I'll definitely be going back.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2015

Dear Adam C,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our hotel.

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and it’s great to know that we were able to look after you so well on your special occasion.

We are exceptionally lucky to be situated in such a beautiful Grade II listed building and we are pleased to hear that you appreciated the surroundings as much as we do. We are currently looking forward to a complete redesign of the hotel decor including the restaurant and an extension which will create another 107 bedrooms, alongside a new restaurant and bar– so be sure to keep an eye out on our progression over the next couple of years!

It will be our absolute pleasure to welcome you back here to The Grand in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for a few days in half term. From the moment we booked, the service was fantastic. We were sent a preferences form prior to arrival, which enabled me to to ensure we had interconnected rooms.

Upon arrival, Graham the concierge showed us to our rooms, which were large and airy, our children's room made as a twin and our room as a king sized double.

The hotel is calm and peaceful, we weren't disturbed at all by noise from other guests rooms.
Graham was extremely helpful and knowledgeable, the ladies working on the reception desk were very friendly and helpful too.
We used the pool a couple of times, it was nice and warm, perfect for us all to swim in.
Child sized towelling robes and slippers were a great idea for the children.
All in all, an excellent stay, I would highly recommend!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family

Dear Caroline T,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our hotel.

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and it’s great to know that we were able to look after you so well – particularly our wonderful concierge Graham and the lovely reception team.

We are currently looking forward to a complete redesign of the hotel decor including the restaurant and an extension which will create another 107 bedrooms – so be sure to keep an eye out on our progression over the next couple of years!

Reviewed 30 October 2015

Stayed for one night at the end of October 2015. Booked a suite, and was upgraded to a master suite which was enormous and very well equipped, with a sofa and two arm chairs, a four seat dining table and side boards boasting minibar and tea/coffee facilities. The bedroom was equally huge with a super comfortable King size bed. The room had two lavatories and separate huge bath and walk in shower. The hotel offers full concierge service, and valet parking. The bar is extremely comfortable with an extensive range of drinks and cocktails. The great improvement in this hotel however is Hudsons Restaurant - we visited two years ago and it was rather average, but now with a new head chef the quality and standard has improved enormously - brilliant menu and wine list and the food was beautifully cooked and prepared. All the produce appeared to be locally sourced, with a seasonal focus. We didnt use the spa facilities on this occasion, but assume same high standard as in our previous visit. All in all - a great stay, in a very wonderful location, we love the history of the building as it was the HQ of the old railway, and the interior still has many of the original features. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Master suite is sumptuous.

Dear Hobbit69,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our hotel.

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and it’s wonderful to hear you were able to make the most of our hotel’s facilities and dine in our Hudson’s restaurant. The menu has been created by our renowned Head Chef, Craig Atchinson. Craig has brought his impeccable quality and his distinctive culinary skills to The Grand and our Hudson’s menu reflects this as well as highlighting Yorkshire ingredients from local producers.

Reviewed 30 October 2015

We booked through Anoma a double classic room with full breakfast included.
On arrival we were told it was only continental breakfast.A minor annoyance.Our room was 409. It was tiny and overlooked a brick wall and office with someone working a few feet away. We asked to pay to upgrade but the hotel was full (as was later confirmed in the bar as a couple had been double booked and were moving to a hotel a few miles out of town!) We settled into the bar to have a cocktail which were advertised on the hotel website as 2 for £14 between 5PM and 7PM.They were very good but on paying we were charged £10.95 each one and had to ask for the reduction.This was also the case of a gentleman paying his bill. Do they really forget the offer? Perhaps deliberately.We had a meal in York then returned to the bar for another cocktail.
The same barman and supervisor were there.
Whilst making our cocktails imagine my husbands dismay to hear the barman telling another couple of guests the contents of our cocktail and the fact it was 'disgusting'. My husband spoke to the supervisor and then the duty manager and said this really wasn't acceptable behavior . We were given the cocktails free of charge but returned to our room unhappy.
The next morning we were woken before 9AM by the maid asking if she could come in. Then reception rang and said we had been given a complimentary upgrade to room 330.
The stay got better. The room was lovely with views over the bar walls and cenotaph. We spent the afternoon in the pool and steam room which though small was lovely.
Next morning woken again before 9AM. So note if you don't want an early call put the sign on door.
We paid to upgrade to Full English Breakfast which was ok, the toast was very hard and cold.
All in all a mixed experience which could have been so much better. We didn't return to the bar because of our bad experience and would definitely not rate the hotel as 5*. Parking was close at the NCP car park but cost £20 a day. Even though there were some spaces outside the hotel and some cars parked there ALL day we were told it was for drop off only.

Room Tip: Don,t book a classic room. ask for a room with a view of the Bar Walls.
2  Thank Hoshi2101

Dear Hoshi2101

I am sorry to hear that the bar team were less than welcoming and that housekeeping disturbed you during the morning. This is most certainly not a normal standard and I am sorry that this happened during your stay with us.

I do hope that you are able to return to the Grand Hotel and Spa when we will be able to restore your faith in us.

Kind Regards