4,771 results
All reviews cedar court molton brown toiletries turn down service rise restaurant star hotel spa facilities door staff classic room executive room underfloor heating on arrival original features amazing hotel steam room beautiful building separate toilet train station
Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

I came here for a one night stay with my friend and we had a amazing time. The hotel is beautiful and the Christmas decorations etc just made it even better!

The staff were all helpful and friendly and we would especially like to mention Wayne on the door, he was fantastic. We will stay again!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Katarina V, Rooms Division Manager at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review.

We are so pleased that you both had a wonderful stay with us.

We will make sure to let Wayne know what a fantastic job he is doing!

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 20 December 2017

Visited York on Sunday for a Christmas surprise for my new wife. Stayed here before and love it. Honestly the Staff and the Hotel are amazing.
Just for a 5* hotel id expect real milk, not budget horrible little milk cartons.
But my big negative point was the noise, we was I room 334, we had a long day and wanted an early evening and relax in the room. But unfortunately that wasn't the case. The music blasting from the room below was unbearable and went on till late in the night.
I normally wouldn't complain about noise, its just the fact it was a one off Christmas treat for my wife and it was ruined.

Room tip: Avoid 334 if you want peace
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuey_Mazza

Dear Stuey_Mazza,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It is very disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

We hope that you will stay at The Grand again in the future and give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us. If you would like to discuss this further with me, please feel free to contact me directly on Romani.Francis@thegrandyork.co.uk

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

I visited here last month with a friend and we were prevented from parking. The doorman was most unhelpful and said we could not park with a disability badge as "we don't want to encourage people with blue badges or everyone will do it". I wrote a letter of complaint but the General Manager hasn't had the courtesy to reply. Clearly they've never heard of The Disability Discrimination Act. We were made to feel embarrassed and unwelcome. We left and went to The Principal, were we received a very warm welcome and shown to a designated blue badge space.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank ElaineHunt

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I am very sorry to read about this recent experience. I believe this has been addressed and resolved directly with yourself.

We hope that we will welcome you in the future and will have the opportunity to demonstrate our 5-star Grand service.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

We stayed in an executive double room and it was beautiful and spacious. We would recommend this hotel to all, it really is gorgeous and it is in such a great location for exploring York.

The only food we had at the hotel was room service and it was nice.
The staff were incredibly helpful and kind, thank you!

Dear Toniclifford,

Thank you for taking the time to send us this fantastic review!

We are so pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us and received our exceptional 5-star service.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 19 December 2017

I’ve come to the conclusion that the service at this hotel is dependent on customer appearance. I’ve noticed that on several occasions I was treated much differently than the better dressed or more aged individual. I don’t give this review a 1-star simply because of the decent facilities available, the fantastic cooking staff, doormen and the cleaners. While the building is worthy of the 5-star claim, the service by the ones providing it, is not.

The entrance:

Check-in was a hassle. I didn’t receive a warm welcome and the staff member rushed to get my payment details. My room wasn’t ready although I arrived after the check-in time (15:00). At the counter, I paid for breakfast, but received no instructions as to where it was served and between which times. Also, my room included entrance to the spa and gym but there was no mention of this. My luggage was taken in by the doorman, but never sent to my room until I asked about it. With the wait of the room getting ready (45 min), the bags should have been sent up without me having to ask for them.

The room: executive double, 1st floor, corner room.

Corner rooms aren’t nice. They get the most noise disturbance as they are closest to corridors, stairwells, lifts and in this case, the reception desk. It also shares a front door, which cannot lock and might be there for aesthetics. It is also the only room that has another room directly adjacent.

The taps are temperamental. They chose simplicity, but compromised on functionality. First time I used it, it came off the wall, and despite being promptly repaired, selecting the temperature is more difficult than it should be, since 75% of dial positions are for scalding hot water and only about 25% for freezing cold water.

The room itself is of descent size, with unreasonably high ceilings. The heating system is shockingly bad, and it can get uncomfortably cool because the fans blow from high above and the air feels cold as it reaches the bottom, pushing the warm air upwards. This makes it rather difficult to work in this room, which is ironic since it is an executive room, for those who want to work. In addition to the lack of functionality, there are two bedside light switches that control the desk light, and no light switches near the desk. There's also a lamp next to the bed, but that can’t be turned off with the switches closest to it, but the ones on the bedside table on the opposite side of the king bed. Phones are really old and the connection is amusingly bad to the point that the concierge desk hanged up on me because they couldn't hear me.

Poor quality control across for the room. I honestly believe that this room is a stand-by room, given when everything else is booked or just out of convenience for the staff.

Breakfast at the Rise:

This was also inconsistent, first day (on Monday) I received a very warm welcome by staff outside the restaurant, then walked in and given a seat. Tuesday was completely different, even to the point were I was ignored and the staff member greeted the person behind me in the queue waiting to be seated. From there, I noticed staff weren’t giving me the same degree of attention as others in the restaurant. I was never asked if everything was alright, nor received good morning from the head waiter—I noticed he welcomed everyone before and after me. No complaints about the food.

Final thoughts:

I’m a type of luxury traveller that just wants peace and quiet and relax while on holiday without feeling ignored. I expect a 5-Hotel to meet my expectations, and not impressed with so many inconsistencies.

Final statement: Poor quality control that doesn't fulfil 5-star standards.

Room tip: Avoid corner rooms, especially 1st floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank EarlKing

Dear EarlKing,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is very disappointing to read that The Grand did not exceed your expectations, as this is what we aim towards with each and every one of our guests.
Apart from the tap maintenance which was resolved straight away, I would be keen to know if the issues you described in your review were raised with our management team during your visit, since we would always appreciate the opportunity to rectify any situation and ensure that our guests receive our exceptional 5-star experience.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your individual experience and restore your faith in us. We do hope that you will stay with us again in the future therefore, if you would like to discuss this with me further, please feel free to contact me directly on Romani.Francis@thegrandyork.co.uk