“Dissapointing”

Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We booked our stay at the hotel through the hotels direct website paying £200 for the privilage. Prior to arrival my wife had contacted the hotel to ask about an early check. Quick response from hotel to advise that they could not promise anything but we could try at 2pm instead of 3pm. We arrived in York at 12.10 and left our bag at the hotel. There was cava available to guest being handed oiut by staff but we were not offerred any. We asked if we could check in early and were advised to come back at 2pm. We returned at 14.10 and waited our turn to be attended to (again not being offered cava while other guest were). The receptionist advised that they had an assisted room available. I asked what this meant and it turned out it was for a p[erson with disabilities. We turned this room down and were told to come back at 3pm. We reurned at 15.30 to the same cava situation. When we finally got to the desk a different receptionist was present. She began taking our details and then left us to attend to another guest who had not waited in line. They both apoligised to my husband who told them both this was not acceptable. We were then taken to our room (room 7) which was lovely at first. Only when staff left did we discover we had been allocated a disabled room. We both were very tired and just accpeted this.
The following morning I approached the desk and raise my cioncerns with the inital receptionist. She said this was not the original disabled room but another and that by law they had to have these type of rooms. I told her this was not acceptable but was not offerred anything, even the opportunity to speak with a manager. We then went for breakfast which was fantastic, the staff being superb.
At check out I was asked by the same receptionist if I had enjoyed York. Nothing about the room or staff in hotel. this in my opinion being due to other guest being about. The final straw was when they cahrged me £1.60 for a newspaper being delivered to my room even though I was not told there would be a charge and also papers available for free around the hotle. I have stayed in true 5 star hotels such as Gleneagles and Cameron House and I can assure you this is not close to 5 star!!!! I also have had no reply to my email complaint snet to hotel on 29th August.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us at The Grand, I am disappointed you didn't enjoy your stay with us and please be assured I have shared you feedback with our teams to ensure these issues do not re-occur.

In regards to your comment regarding checking in to the hotel early, it is our policy that we do not guarantee that guests arriving can check in before 3pm and is clearly stated on our website when booking, this is common in all hotels however if we do have rooms available then we will gladly offer this to guests arriving early, unfortunately it seems on the day of your arrival this was not possible. This was the case when you were offered a room before the 3pm check in time however as you didn't want to stay in one of our accessible rooms then it was not possible to offer you another room at that time, my apologies if this effected your arrival to the hotel.

I would also like to apologise if you weren't offered any fizz on arrival, I am surprised that you weren't offered any as you said other guests took advantage of this, my only explanation is that the cava is for guests checking into the hotel and if our team were aware we had no rooms available most probably didn't offer at the time as the cava is there on arrival to take to your room to enjoy once you settle down after your journey to the hotel, and create an arrival that is different to other hotels.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and your start to the day and that the staff were 'superb', it is great to read that after your arrival we did show that our service is of a high standard.

I am disappointed to read that you do not feel we are achieving a five star standard because of the arrival and that we charge for newspapers, the Daily Telegraph is available in public areas free of charge and we are currently reviewing our charging procedures for bedrooms, my apologies if this left a sour taste during your stay.

As part of my role I answer all letters to the hotel, good or constructive and I can genuinely say that I have not received a letter of this nature at the hotel however if you would like to email me directly (scot.turner@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk) with your letter I would be more than happy to contact you further about this matter, however I do hope this response has explained the issues you encountered.

Scot Turner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We had a lovely stay at the Cedar Court, the hotel is spotlessly clean, the room was a delight with a huge bed, crisp linen and a smart clean bathroom. The staff were all friendly and helpful, polite and welcoming at all times. We ate breakfast which was well cooked and very tasty. The only minor irritation is that cars are parked off site by the staff and it took almost 1 hour to have the car delivered back at the hotel door which was frustrating hanging about.

West Yorks, England
Reviewed 8 September 2010

We booked this Hotel for our 10th Wedding aniversary. From arrival to departure we felt extremley welcome. The staff couldn't do enough for us - but without being "In your face". They were very attentive. As its in the centre of York, parking is a premium. We chose the Valet parking at a cost of £15.00. Great value. Our luggage was whisked away to our room and we checked in hastle free.
The Health spa was again, staffed by friendly staff that weren't intimidating (like in some gyms!) The pool area and facilities were pristine. We used the Pool/Jaccuzzi/Sauna and steam rooms. Very nice. We like the way they had kept the original features in the building, as you walk to the changing rooms you can see the original Vault doors and the concaved ceilings in the pool area.
Upon returning from our venture around beautiful York, we had a drink in the bar area, which was very pleasant, comfy sofas and relaxing surroundings.
The bed was really comfortable, we both had a really good nights sleep. The room had 2 bathrooms, one with a shower, Wc & sink and one with a bath and sink, heated floor and towel rail and lots of Molton Brown.
We had a lovely breakfast in the HQ restaurant the next morning and the service was second to none again. Whilst passing reception we spoke to the conceirge to request our car and were advised it would be ready within about 10 minutes. Upon checkout which was smooth, our car was ready out front with the doors open and an eager concierge placing our bags in the boot. What a wonderful experience, pure luxury,we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and can't wait for our next visit....should really be 6 stars!!

1 Thank Norriskins
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic feedback following your recent stay at The Grand, it is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your time with us and in particular our team stood out and delivered the highest levels of service we expect to our guests.

I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us once again and both myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back to York.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed for one night at the Cedar Court in an Executive room which was plush. The room was comfortable spacious with an amazing bathroom. The staff were attentive and really friendly. Breakfast was lovely too, next time I would love to try the spa and leisure facility.

1 Thank Panda7478
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your positive feedback following your recent stay at the Grand, it is great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed your room and our breakfast offering. We are currently reviewing this to increase the standards even more to ensure all of our guests receive the best possible start to their day.

I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Just returned from a long weekend break in York - at the Cedar Court. This 5 star hotel has no faults at all. Everything from the minute you arrive to the minute you check out is pure 5 star. Locality is good - just a 5 minute walk to the City centre & 2 minutes from the Station. We stayed B&B and the food was amazing - we tried to eat in the restaurant on the Saturday evening but it was fully booked - so the Concierge arranged a taxi & booked us into an amazing restaurant in Castlegate. Very much appreciated - thank you. Would definately come back to this amazing hotel.

1 Thank Diane1003
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at the Grand, I am delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and in particular our Concierge were on hand to recommend the next best place to eat when our own HQ restaurant was fully booked. I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you to York once again and you get the chance to eat dinner with us.

UK
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Stayed at the Cedar Court twice now and although we experienced a few teething problems (the hotel had only just opened) on our first stay, the management dealt with these issues very well and our second stay could not be faulted. Everything about our stay was 5 star - our room, the service, the food and the staff were all excellent. It is not the cheapest hotel in York but must be the best. Well worth booking for that extra special weekend away.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 42Newcastle
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic post following your recent stay at the hotel it is wonderful to read that your return visit to the hotel lived up to your expectations, in particular that our team stood out by delivering the highest hospitality.

I do hope it is not too long before we can look after you once again.

Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I understand that the Star system is based on the facilities that a Hotel has and the ammenities it can offer to its guests. So, yes, this hotel has a Spa / Pool (although we didn't have a chance to use it), business facilities, attentive staff including doormen in bowler hats, all of which, I am sure, add up to a 5* hotel.

It is letting itself down in a couple of small areas though and these are things that wouldn't bother me in the slightest in a hotel that was less than 5*, but which niggle a bit in a hotel that prides itself on quality.

Firstly I was baffled by the system used by the room cleaners / turn down service. The day we arrive there's a wonderful selection of black and green teas. So I use up a couple of the greens, my fiance drinks some blacks, we eat the biscuit (a pretty good shortbread) and head to the restaurant for dinner. We come back to find the greens have been replaced by a couple of black teas and there is a new biscuit (yum, chocolate chip cookie).

The turn down service on this night consists of both corners of the duvet being turned back, a cloth with "Good Night" / "Good Morning" laid by the bed and the slippers laid on it. It did seem a little odd. Previous experience of turn down service has involved a small degree of tidying up - having clean cups ready etc. Still, the biscuit was nice and there was still one green tea left.

The room cleaning the next day brought another cookie, more black tea (there's quite a lot of it now!) and no replacement green, perhaps they've run out as they've obviously not spotted that I'm using it up! I know I could've asked Reception, but I brought some redbush from home (just in case!) so it seemed silly to moan. On the other hand, yesterday I used the shower cap so I could keep my hair dry (obviously!) during my before-dinner shower and that wasn't replaced. In fact, the items I DID use hadn't been replaced (shower gel), but now there are TWO bottles of conditioner and TWO bottles of body creme.

Also, they supply two rolls of loo roll (with the ends in nice points) and we used half a roll. That half had been removed and a completely fresh roll was waiting for us. What happened to the used half?! Maybe they think it looks better to replace it, but surely we could have used up a half-roll quite happily? They also can't have cleaned properly as they'd left my old flannel hanging over the shower head.

The turn down on the second night completely left out the cloth on the floor and replacements to the teas / biscuit. It was as if someone had run in, tugged on the bedding and run out again! If we hadn't been aware of a turn down service we'd have been baffled!

The bathroom was lovely, big mirror lit from behind that doesn't mist up if you leave it on during your shower. The shower has a drenching shower head and a smaller hand held part for rinsing yourself off. I just left it on while I was in the shower! It was one of the best showers I've ever had. The bath products are Molton Brown and very nice.

The room had high ceiling and was a very quirky shape. There were fluffy dressing gowns, slippers, shoe cleaning supplies, a decent iron and board, the hairdryer is free to move around (unlike some places that chain it to the wall!) and there was an umbrella! A nice big branded one, that was a nice touch.

The oddest thing was the greeen glow. Over the door was a large round emergency light with a small green light in the corner. It wasn't until all the lights were turned out that we realised that the whole thing was then lit up in an eerie glow that bathed the entire room green. I took a picture, but my photography doesn't do it justice. It didn't stop us sleeping and certainly meant you could get to the loo in the middle of the night without stubbing your toe, but still, most odd.

The staff were very friendly. In particular the lovely man at the bar who remade my milkshake. I ordered banana and it was dreadful. Had never seen a banana in its life. So I returned it. They guy who made it can't have been less bothered and barely apologised. Shortly afterwards (I'm guessing the head bartender) comes over and asks if he can personally make me a new one. So I ask for strawberry - as long as they're fresh strawberries - so he shows me the punnet of berries he'll be using, makes it brings it over and has even put extra strawberries on the side as a garnish. Very impressed by him, more than made up for his colleague being dismissive.

We had one dinner in the HQ restaurant, which was nice. Not amazing, but nice. The second day we all ate as a party in the Grand Boardroom, rather chilly in there, not been a warm August. They forgot to ask our table if any of us were vegetarians and although I'm not I would have preferred a vegetarian meal. Again, it was nice. The staff were attentive and one girl happily fetched me an orange juice as I wasnt drinking. Although it did take a while to arrive and when it did it wasn't fresh, it was carton.

The breakfasts were good. First time I had the full Yorkshire. The mushrooms, tomato and egg were OK, but not as tasty as the could've been or should've been. If I'd been paying the £11-something for it I'd have been very disappointed. Second day I went for the Scotch pancakes. Better then the previous breakfast, but still not convinced it was worth the price you'd have to pay. There was also a decent range of cereal, pastries, fresh fruit, the yoghurts were in nice glass pots and there were portions of smoothie. The OJ wasn't fresh, but the apple juice had settled, so I guess that may have been of better quality, but there was no way to mix it back up!

All in all we had a lovely stay and the staff are great, but I'm still not totally convinced that it's a 5* hotel.

• Stayed August 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay at the Grand, it is through feedback that we can ensure we are consistently improving and maintaining our high standards. I can see that a number of aspects through your stay were positive including our team who went the extra mile to ensure your personal preference was met and I apologise if an inconsistency on turndown frustrated you and your green tea was not replenished however I am delighted you noted the little extras such on turndown such as the wonderful hand made biscuits and that you liked your room.

In regards to the dinner you attended, the menu was picked by the organisers of the function and the vegetarians were highlighted to us before the event however it is a shame you didn't ask one of our team if you could change your choice as they are there to make sure your wishes are carried out and could have changed your choice to a vegetarian option.

It is nice to read however that you enjoyed your breakfasts on both days and in particular you pancakes, they really are a nice treat when your away from home relaxing!

In conclusion I do hope the fact that your green tea wasn't replenished didn't spoil your break away with us too much and although it is this comment that has led to your rating I do hope you will return to the Grand in the future where we can look after you once again.