“A nice, quiet hotel in a good location”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
North east England
“A nice, quiet hotel in a good location”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

My husband and I spent a 2 night stay at the Cedar Court Grand at the end of July for our wedding anniversary. Throughout our stay we found the staff to be lovely and we were given an upgrade upon check in as it was our first time at the hotel. Our executive room was enormous and the bathroom was lovely. I particularly liked the Molton Brown toiletries, especially the lip salve left by the bed as part of the turn down service. I agree with previous comments that the cleaning staff did not replenish items or change drinking glasses as part of the turn down service and this is something I would expect from a 5 star hotel.
Breakfast was included in our stay and we ate in the room on both mornings. The first day I had the yorkshire breakfast was delicious, the second day I had scrambled egg bagel and it was really horrible. Cold, bland and rubbery. Other than this the only other complaint I could possibly make was the lack of information about the spa in the room or lobby and the fact that the spa didn't actually do any treatments as they weren't fully operational when we were there. The spa facilities are very nice and we were the only people in there.
The valet parking was excellent value and very convenient, the bar area is comfortable and relaxing. Throughout our stay my husband and I joked about being in the hotel from 'The Shining' but don't worry, that was only because we didn't see another guest the whole time we were there. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smally1980
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your excellent feedback following your recent stay at The Grand, it is always nice to read that our guests have enjoyed their stay. I am delighted to read that you were able to benefit from a complimentary upgrade to celebrate your anniversary, whether it is an upgrade, or a welcome gift we always try to recognise our guest’s celebrations.

I have also passed your comments regarding Turndown to our Housekeeping team who are currently training our team on what we expect during this service as it is clear through feedback that at times this is not happening to the standards we would expect, however I am glad this did not affect your opinion of the hotel and that you commented positively on our Concierge and Bar team.

On behalf of myself and all the team I do hope we can welcome you to the hotel once again in the near future.

Scot Turner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We booked our stay at the hotel through the hotels direct website paying £200 for the privilage. Prior to arrival my wife had contacted the hotel to ask about an early check. Quick response from hotel to advise that they could not promise anything but we could try at 2pm instead of 3pm. We arrived in York at 12.10 and left our bag at the hotel. There was cava available to guest being handed oiut by staff but we were not offerred any. We asked if we could check in early and were advised to come back at 2pm. We returned at 14.10 and waited our turn to be attended to (again not being offered cava while other guest were). The receptionist advised that they had an assisted room available. I asked what this meant and it turned out it was for a p[erson with disabilities. We turned this room down and were told to come back at 3pm. We reurned at 15.30 to the same cava situation. When we finally got to the desk a different receptionist was present. She began taking our details and then left us to attend to another guest who had not waited in line. They both apoligised to my husband who told them both this was not acceptable. We were then taken to our room (room 7) which was lovely at first. Only when staff left did we discover we had been allocated a disabled room. We both were very tired and just accpeted this.
The following morning I approached the desk and raise my cioncerns with the inital receptionist. She said this was not the original disabled room but another and that by law they had to have these type of rooms. I told her this was not acceptable but was not offerred anything, even the opportunity to speak with a manager. We then went for breakfast which was fantastic, the staff being superb.
At check out I was asked by the same receptionist if I had enjoyed York. Nothing about the room or staff in hotel. this in my opinion being due to other guest being about. The final straw was when they cahrged me £1.60 for a newspaper being delivered to my room even though I was not told there would be a charge and also papers available for free around the hotle. I have stayed in true 5 star hotels such as Gleneagles and Cameron House and I can assure you this is not close to 5 star!!!! I also have had no reply to my email complaint snet to hotel on 29th August.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us at The Grand, I am disappointed you didn't enjoy your stay with us and please be assured I have shared you feedback with our teams to ensure these issues do not re-occur.

In regards to your comment regarding checking in to the hotel early, it is our policy that we do not guarantee that guests arriving can check in before 3pm and is clearly stated on our website when booking, this is common in all hotels however if we do have rooms available then we will gladly offer this to guests arriving early, unfortunately it seems on the day of your arrival this was not possible. This was the case when you were offered a room before the 3pm check in time however as you didn't want to stay in one of our accessible rooms then it was not possible to offer you another room at that time, my apologies if this effected your arrival to the hotel.

I would also like to apologise if you weren't offered any fizz on arrival, I am surprised that you weren't offered any as you said other guests took advantage of this, my only explanation is that the cava is for guests checking into the hotel and if our team were aware we had no rooms available most probably didn't offer at the time as the cava is there on arrival to take to your room to enjoy once you settle down after your journey to the hotel, and create an arrival that is different to other hotels.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and your start to the day and that the staff were 'superb', it is great to read that after your arrival we did show that our service is of a high standard.

I am disappointed to read that you do not feel we are achieving a five star standard because of the arrival and that we charge for newspapers, the Daily Telegraph is available in public areas free of charge and we are currently reviewing our charging procedures for bedrooms, my apologies if this left a sour taste during your stay.

As part of my role I answer all letters to the hotel, good or constructive and I can genuinely say that I have not received a letter of this nature at the hotel however if you would like to email me directly (scot.turner@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk) with your letter I would be more than happy to contact you further about this matter, however I do hope this response has explained the issues you encountered.

UK
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We had a lovely stay at the Cedar Court, the hotel is spotlessly clean, the room was a delight with a huge bed, crisp linen and a smart clean bathroom. The staff were all friendly and helpful, polite and welcoming at all times. We ate breakfast which was well cooked and very tasty. The only minor irritation is that cars are parked off site by the staff and it took almost 1 hour to have the car delivered back at the hotel door which was frustrating hanging about.

West Yorks, England
Reviewed 8 September 2010

We booked this Hotel for our 10th Wedding aniversary. From arrival to departure we felt extremley welcome. The staff couldn't do enough for us - but without being "In your face". They were very attentive. As its in the centre of York, parking is a premium. We chose the Valet parking at a cost of £15.00. Great value. Our luggage was whisked away to our room and we checked in hastle free.
The Health spa was again, staffed by friendly staff that weren't intimidating (like in some gyms!) The pool area and facilities were pristine. We used the Pool/Jaccuzzi/Sauna and steam rooms. Very nice. We like the way they had kept the original features in the building, as you walk to the changing rooms you can see the original Vault doors and the concaved ceilings in the pool area.
Upon returning from our venture around beautiful York, we had a drink in the bar area, which was very pleasant, comfy sofas and relaxing surroundings.
The bed was really comfortable, we both had a really good nights sleep. The room had 2 bathrooms, one with a shower, Wc & sink and one with a bath and sink, heated floor and towel rail and lots of Molton Brown.
We had a lovely breakfast in the HQ restaurant the next morning and the service was second to none again. Whilst passing reception we spoke to the conceirge to request our car and were advised it would be ready within about 10 minutes. Upon checkout which was smooth, our car was ready out front with the doors open and an eager concierge placing our bags in the boot. What a wonderful experience, pure luxury,we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and can't wait for our next visit....should really be 6 stars!!

1 Thank Norriskins
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic feedback following your recent stay at The Grand, it is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your time with us and in particular our team stood out and delivered the highest levels of service we expect to our guests.

I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us once again and both myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back to York.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed for one night at the Cedar Court in an Executive room which was plush. The room was comfortable spacious with an amazing bathroom. The staff were attentive and really friendly. Breakfast was lovely too, next time I would love to try the spa and leisure facility.

1 Thank Panda7478
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your positive feedback following your recent stay at the Grand, it is great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed your room and our breakfast offering. We are currently reviewing this to increase the standards even more to ensure all of our guests receive the best possible start to their day.

I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Just returned from a long weekend break in York - at the Cedar Court. This 5 star hotel has no faults at all. Everything from the minute you arrive to the minute you check out is pure 5 star. Locality is good - just a 5 minute walk to the City centre & 2 minutes from the Station. We stayed B&B and the food was amazing - we tried to eat in the restaurant on the Saturday evening but it was fully booked - so the Concierge arranged a taxi & booked us into an amazing restaurant in Castlegate. Very much appreciated - thank you. Would definately come back to this amazing hotel.

1 Thank Diane1003
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at the Grand, I am delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and in particular our Concierge were on hand to recommend the next best place to eat when our own HQ restaurant was fully booked. I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you to York once again and you get the chance to eat dinner with us.

UK
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Stayed at the Cedar Court twice now and although we experienced a few teething problems (the hotel had only just opened) on our first stay, the management dealt with these issues very well and our second stay could not be faulted. Everything about our stay was 5 star - our room, the service, the food and the staff were all excellent. It is not the cheapest hotel in York but must be the best. Well worth booking for that extra special weekend away.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 42Newcastle
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic post following your recent stay at the hotel it is wonderful to read that your return visit to the hotel lived up to your expectations, in particular that our team stood out by delivering the highest hospitality.

I do hope it is not too long before we can look after you once again.