The Grand Hotel & Spa
US$159
US$147
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$101
Hotels.com
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$156
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$172
US$145
Travelocity
4,311 results
All reviewscedar courtmolton brown toiletriesturn down servicestar hotellip balmdoor staffclassic roomexecutive roomunderfloor heatingon arrivaloriginal featuressteam roomcontinental breakfastamazing hotelbeautiful buildingtrain stationbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Stayed here for three nights to celebrate my partner's birthday. We booked a suite and were not disappointed - it was enormous and very well appointed. The staff were top-notch and the little extra touches (I don't want to spoil the surprises by giving them away) made the whole experience extra-special. Added to all this is the beautiful city of York right on your doorstep... it's the perfect combination for a truly memorable break.

1  Thank Paul_015
Reviewed 19 September 2010

My Boyfriend and I have just returned form a 2 night stay and felt I had to right a review as my stay was out of this world. It was my boyfriends bday and from the minute we entered the hotel to minute we left was outstanding. As we checked in we were told we were upgraded free to an executive room.....WOW! The service at check was 2nd to none and even the kind young guy who showed us to our room was full of personality with some great info regarding the hotel. The room was amaizing well worth the money and more. We left the room to explore the huge hotel and when we returned found there was a bday card from the deputy manager, a bowl of fruit and some beautiful chocolates to try...... That is what you call 5 star service. Every member of staff we spoke to over the weekend were more than helpful and we felt nothing was too much trouble. We had a treatment each by a girl called Tina who was only working at the hotel for the weekend on loan from another hotel she was fab full of life and made us both feel very relaxed.
The bed was huge and so comfortable we didnt want to get out of it. If I had to comment about something it could only be that there was an annoying green light in the room that during the night was quite bright however we did not want to complain as this did not spoil our trip in the slightest. Bfast was very good with a huge choice and still if there was nothin g there we liked the menu did inform us "just ask if you do not see what you like". Moulton Brown in the bathroom was the cherry on the cake and to make it even better there was a card you could fill in to let them know the next time you stay the hotel would arrange you favourite moulton brown fragrance ready for you.
Overall the hotel and staff were fantastic and would like to Thank Scott Turner and his team has they have made our weekend. A big fan and will def be returning

2  Thank Paula3040
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2010

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at The Grand, it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am particularly delighted to read that our team stood out during your stay and that you enjoyed the treats we put in the room for your birthday, it is always our intention to recognise our guests celebrations to ensure we make their stay extra special.

On behalf of myself and all the team I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Grand in the near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed at the Cedar Court for our first wedding anniversary, and from the moment we arrived at the hotel, we were impressed. the hotel offers free valet service (parking is £15 a night), and whilst we couldn't check into the room until 3pm (we arrived at 10am), the staff were more than happy to look after our stuff until we could check in. the hotel itself is very impressive, with plenty of space, and comfy seats for relaxing in. we decided to have a nosey at the restaurant area, and the waiter on duty was more than happy to show us around.

we stayed in a classic double room (for £169 on a saturday night) the room was very impressive - mega comfy bed, with egyptian cotton sheets. the rooms are spacious, with the hotel offering free wi-fi, and a turn down service (although you had to ask). the ceilings were very high and all of the furnishings of a very good quality. the spa is free to use, and is very relaxing.

overall, we were very impressed and happy with our stay - nothing was too much trouble for the staff, and there were plenty of them around. we would definitely return.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at The Grand, it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am particularly delighted to read that our team stood out during your stay as I think it proves that you can mix high levels of service with a dash of Yorkshire hospitality to ensure we are achieving the high standards we expect.

Reviewed 14 September 2010

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the newly opened Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa in York. The hotel itself is ideally located in the city centre with stunning views of the Minster and Castle Walls. A stones throw away from the many bars & restaurants. The room I was allocated was an upgrade to a suite and offered beautiful architecture and a high standard of modern contempory decor. Not only was I in awe of the hotel itself, I was also impressed with the level of service we received. Nothing was too much trouble and all staff were friendly and attentive. Although I didn't dine in the restaruant the menu choice looked fantastic and if breakfast was anything to go by the restaurant will well worth a visit. Breakfast was served in a small intricate room, and offered you a wide selection of pastries, fruit and cereals. The cooked breakfast menu was difficult to choose from and I felt the boiled egg & soldiers was a nice personal addition and really made you feel at home. I opted for the full english and was not disappointed. Overall I had a fantastic time and will be sure to return again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank smilersc

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at The Grand, it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am particularly delighted to read that our team looked after you well and that you enjoyed breakfast. We know how important it is that our guests get the right start to the day and have worked hard following feedback to raise the standard of our continental selection in particular and it is nice to see that this has made a difference.

Reviewed 13 September 2010

It was treat for my partner's birthday.

No complain over the room itself. Beautifully presented, Precious, cosy, comfortable and clean.. However, the room is great itself. BUT noise from outside, wow~~~ We were in the room to sleep at night, there was noise from somewhere(maybe people in the terrace having late drink whatsoever(I didn't actively look where that was coming from), I felt like people were drinking and talking just outside my window(even though we're on the 2nd floor). I asked my partner to check whether any window were opened. N he was checking all the window in the room. But it was shut! The noise went on until the midnight!. Pwha... I know there is nothing much hotel can do rather than installing double window or cover the terrace or asking people little discreet after some time at the back or side, whatever you say, of the hotel. It was appaling. I was struggling to sleep. But the problem didn't end there, very unfortunate for two of us! Very early morning on Sunday, there was kind of banging noise from the street.(someone also mentioned about the noise coming from street early morning-rubbish collecting!). Pwha~ I only wanted good night sleep! I don't think it is too much to ask when you pay over £200+
Just complete mess!! I didn't know exact time but it is before 4.50am it was the time I opened my eyes to check what time it was.

Regarding Jacuzzi, Sauna and swinming pool area(all in one place) they have on the lower ground, It could've been better. I chose this hotel cos of the location(close to railway station) and those facilities. So I was excited to find out how it would be.
I honestly say it was alright. Cos one thing they are missing is that spending some time in the sauna, I wanted to sit to realx after taking cold shower. But there wasn't any place I could sit down. Either you go into jacuzzi on the side or dip into swimming pool. However, if you you don't mind of sitting on the floor where people passing by, you got a place to sit, lol, or go out to the locker room and sit somewhere. But I didn't want to. If they have benches, it would be perfect. Other than this everything was good. Something hotel can improve! I don't think it is too much to ask.

Regarding Breakfast. I'm not sure it was 5 star hotel quality. If I was going to hv that in the restaurant for the price they charge, I wouldn't be certainly happy with it. Guess this explain how they are. Fresh juice is alright but most of high-end hotel have this as minimal standard.

Regarding the location. It is just great. Very close to York railway station. Walking distance to York Minster and everything else in the town. I cannot complain.

Overall, We're little more disapponted than satisfied

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your feedback following your recent stay at The Grand, it is through constructive criticism that we can constantly review our service standards to ensure that we are delivering the best experience for our guests.

In regards to the noise generated from the street, as this area is a public road the cleaning of these areas are out of our control however we have logged a complaint with York Council to try and prevent this happening, as yet we have not had a response to this from them. I can only apologise if this spoilt your nights sleep. I can also confirm that we are currently looking at introducing some seating into the pool area for people to sit however due to the pool being in the old vaults of the building this will unfortunately be limited.

I am surprised by your comment on breakfast as recent posts have been very positive, fresh juice is not the only positive of the breakfast as we also have freshly prepared pastries, muffins, doughnuts and croissants prepared overnight by our in house Baker, Jospeh and also our hot breakfast is cooked to order and has been generally well received as well. I will however pass your comments on to our Executive Head Chef and Restaurant & Bars Manager.
Once again many thanks for your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back to The Grand in the near future.

Kind Regards