“Great Food, poor service”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Food, poor service”
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I recently stayed at the cedar court and the food was amazing, a massive thumbs up to all chefs working in that building, its refreshing to be able to eat decent food in York. However my experience was ruined by the attitude of a deputy manager. I have never come across someone so obnoxious or rude especially when they are customer facing! I would like to return to the hotel, but i have been put off by a member of staff which is a shame as i think it is something special.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Just returned home from an overnight stay at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa. Honestly couldn't fault it. Fabulous location - within easy walking distance to shops and attractions. Friendly, helpful staff, modern, clean rooms - with one of the comfiest beds i've ever slept in! Lovely pool and spa area - my only complaint would be that it was just short of a couple of chairs around the pool.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank AngelDoll71
Dorset
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Stayed over bank hol weekend. On arrival no coffee in room.a quick call rectified this. Day 2 room not made up at 6pm! Called reception who said a mass exodus on the Sunday morning was the reason.the hotel was full. The chambermaid arrived within 5 minutes and said the reason was that they started late! No mushrooms at breakfast. I wasn't informed despite it being listed in the menu as part of it. When I queried it I was told they had run out. Why wasn't I offered an alternative? I paid £15 each for breakfast. 2nd night. Teapot not cleaned.still had teabag in! Breakfast: ordered haddock. Waited half an hour. Complained. Was told they couldn't find the haddock, no apology. Staff poor. Unbelievably poor and no way a 5 star hotel. No plaque outside.no 5 star on any literature. I would say a false claim. 5 star has to have service standards. I filled in the complaint card and handed it to recption on departure. She assured me management would respond. It's 4th October and I've heard nothing. I've written to head office now. Such a shame as lovely hotel and was a 40th birthday surprise for my partner.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank darrmink
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Old fashion values with a modern twist , couldn't fault the service and the hq restaurant is amazing .see rich tha bar man for one of his creations superb

• Stayed October 2010
Scotland
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Spent our recent visit with wife on a break without the kids. Hotel is in excellent position in town centre and easy to walk to all local sites. We booked a deluxe room on B&B at last minute and were given a free upgrade to a suite. (Paid £450 for 2 nights) so not that cheap.
The suite was huge and spotless, but had a few minor faults with shower and TV, which we reported to maintenance. Bed is very comfy and room was on the 5th floor so quiet.
Parking is £15 per night at NCP next doo, but our car was left in street outside and we still were charged for the 2 nights parking.
The hotel is quite new and I think still having a few teething problems with service and maintenance issues. The staff were very polite and helpful but quite thin on the ground!!
The room service was very poor and not anyway close to 5 stars. As it was a special break for my wife and I, we decided to treat ourselves to breakfast in our room. Basic items such as bread/toast were missing on our first morning, so I called room service (no answer) so called reception who said missing items were on their way. Still waiting !!. I know it’s a minor matter, but it bugged me and I called the duty manager Audrey to let her know my concerns. I was assured that all would be noted and the next morning would be better. Next morning more items missing, so didn’t see much point in complaining, as still no answer at room service and calling reception would just be the same again..

Don’t let this put you off of a break here, as I think that they are still in snagging phase of their recent opening., which I’m told was only a few months ago.

I would return, but only if got a deal on a room, as still quite expensive for what you get.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 September 2010
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at The Grand it is good to read despite some issues during your stay that you would return to York to stay with us.

I would like to discuss your issues with you particularly in room service as I can understand your frustrations with items missing. I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly by email with your contact details (scot.turner@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk).

In regards to your comment about car parking at the hotel, as we are a city centre location we do charge for car parking, we are only allowed a limited number of cars parked at the front of the hotel so at times at team may leave cars outside however to remain fair in our charging policy for all guests the parking charge is still applicable and is in line with other hotels who offer car parking in the city.

I do hope I get the opportunity to speak to you further.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Stayed at this hotel for my wifes birthday.
I booked a ROOM ONLY in an executive double at £200 p/n.
The hotel is in a great location next to the train station and when you arrive the valet collects your car keys and parks it in the NCP.
Our room was good with everything you need and clean.
We booked an afternoon of pampering in the SPA under the hotel and whilst my wife enjoyed her 2 hours of pampering I had to settle for a girl who was only working temporary at the hotel and wasn't used to the facilities. The massage was poor and she just wouldn't shut up, not very relaxing.
The pool and the steam room was empty so that was great, but the jacuzzi was broken and was being fixed by workmen.
We ate out at The Living Rooms just around the corner on the bridge (this was excellent) so I can not comment on the hotel restaurant.
We used the hotel bar at around 11-30 when we returned and it took us over 20 minutes to be served our drinks. There was only two bar men and around 40 persons in the bar area. They seemed unable to cope with people having a casual drink. We had only one drink as we ordered a second drink and it never arrived!!

The parking of the car cost £15 and was not optional, however this was the NCP charge or so we were told.

Room service at 1-30am was excellent and the waiter was very helpful, although we had to order through reception because the 24 hour room service number was just ringing out.

Overall - If the hotel could sort the under staffing in the bar and SPA areas then this hotel could be a winner.
It was decorated fantastic and looked class.

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at The Grand it is good to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and through your constructive feedback we can challenge our teams to improve on their consistency of service.

It is good to read that your wife enjoyed her pamper session however may I apologise if your massage didn’t meet your expectations, unfortunately due to illness we did need to use an external therapist from another hotel to avoid any cancellations and have received positive feedback on Trip Advisor about this individual but I realise that it is your expectations we had to meet. I can assure you and other readers of this review that we have recently finished training new therapists to the standard of Germaine de Cappucini who supply our treatments.

We have also increased the staffing levels and structure of our bar team to ensure that we can deliver a high level of service at all times to our guests and are training our restaurant team to the correct standard to be able to offer further support when needed.

On behalf of myself and all the team I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you to The Grand in the future.

Derbyshire
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We stayed here for our 5th wedding anniversary and also used it as a base to visit Castle Howard. The location is excellent, easy to find, close to station and city centre. We paid for the concierge to take our car to a car park which was a must as there is no where to park by the hotel and it is in a busy area so driving around trying to find car parks is not what you want for a relaxed arrival.

We had a suite which was really big. It had two rooms, one for the bed and one for the lounge, both had TVs so my husband could watch match of the day and I could watch something else!! The room was decorated ok but I am an interior designer and in my opinion, I found it a little dark and bland but that could be me being critical as I tend to cast my designer eye over everywhere we stay and deisgn tatste is a personal thing. The bed was SOOOO comfortable and I had the best nights sleep I have had in years!

The bathrooms were spotless with Moulton Brown toilettries and the bottels were larger than the average hotel bottles. There was a seperate toilet also which is always handy! I spotted a design fault (!), the glass shower panel is fixed onto the bath and you have to get in the bath to turn the shower on which isnt ideal as the water is cold when it first sprouts out! Also the tap knob fell off and my husband had to run to my rescue as I was soaking everywhere trying to get it back on! As you would expect for a suite, bathrobes were included.

We ate in the restaurant both evenings as we were tired and couldnt be bothered to go out. The menu was quite limited BUT at the bottm in small letters, it does state that if you woudl prefer something else then ask the chef, he may be able to cater for you. I felt really cheeky doing this as I have never insulted a chef in this way but really couldnt pick a starter I liked so I asked for something else and was amazed at how friendly the waitress was and how comfortable she made me feel. The chef was superb and came up with a fabulous goats cheese dish that was so tasty. I had lobster for main course and the whole meal was delicious. The only down side was one of the waiters had body odour which you really do not wnat to smell when you are eating!

Also, I felt the ambience in the restaurant wasnt quite right. It is an open restaurant (no secluded areas) and there are large light fittings on the ceiling. All these lights were on full and it was just too light for a romantic meal. Perhaps this is the interior designer in me again but it needed the lights turned down to create a bit more of a romantic feel.

Breakfast was delicious, continental or a la carte and both were great. This is where the service needs something done about it so as not to let the hotel down. There seemed to be plenty of bodies but we sat for ages waiting for our order to be taken and people were coming in after us and being served before us. We had to call someone over in the end to take our order. It just seemed a little disorganised and the waiters seemed nervous.

We decided to have afternoon tea one day and came back to the hotel especially for it but the afternoon tea room had been fully booked with non residents. They offered me the option to take it in the "whisky bar" which we did. However, I was left sitting in this room for 15 minutes before I got fed up and had to go and seek someone to take my order. They had no idea we were waiting. However, the tea arrived and it was devine! So again, service let the hotel down.

All in all, a lovely stay here and the staff ARE working hard to make you feel special and tend to your needs. It just seems that they need to train the staff a little better in the restaurant at breakfast times but I wouldnt let it prevent you from staying here. Its a lovely palce and you wont be disappointed.

1 Thank Debsydoorknocker
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent visit to The Grand, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular you enjoyed your nights sleep in our wonderful beds, as you mention they are so comfy it makes it hard to get up in the morning!

It is also nice to read that our team were flexible in your requests in the restaurant; we know that sometimes our menu may not take your fancy and that is why we ensure our team can create your personal choice with no fuss, something we are very proud of.

I am disappointed however that such a good stay did encounter some misgivings and in particular it was in the execution of our usual high standards. As you will see from other Trip Advisor posts the service within the hotel has received particularly good feedback however this is irrelevant unless we are consistent for all of our guests and I have re-iterated this to our Departmental Managers to ensure their teams are being reviewed on this matter although it is good to read that despite this you still recognised the passion and commitment of our team.

I would like to recognise both your wonderful comments and also your constructive feedback by adding value to a future stay and would ask that you contact me directly by email (scot.turner@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk) so that I can confirm my intentions to you.

On behalf of myself and all of the team I do hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you to York in the near future.