“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Scotland
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

From the minute you walk into the lobby at the Cedar Court Grand you can see that this is a high standard hotel. The concierge is most helpful and is on hand to give you advice on the best places to visit and restaurants to chose. The check in was easy and the rooms are fantastic with high ceilings and large windows along with fluffy robes, seperate bathrooms and toilets with wash hand basins.

The breakfasts are brilliant and my wife especially enjoyed the pickled herring and cold meat selection whereas I settled for a full english which was more than enough to last the full day. After hours the well stocked bar is a lovely environment to relax after a day spent sightseeing and there is a great selection of whisky and rums avilable.

We both enjoyed the spa, which is quite luxurious and on our visit we were the only people in the pool and sauna which made it extra special.

This is no doubt one of the more expensive hotels in York and we were fortunate to get a deal for circa £100 per night, but it was well worth it considering the 5* rating and the excellent location, being only 5 minutes walk from both the train station and York Minster.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 October 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at The Grand it is fantastic to read that our guests enjoy their experience with us and that our Concierge in particular were helpful in planning your day.

It is also great to read that you enjoyed your breakfast, we have worked hard to improve the quality of our offering and it is nice to read positive comments regarding this.

I do hope it won't be too long before we can welcome you to The Grand once again.

Scot Turner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
leicester
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Had a brilliant mid week break with a girl friend. The hotel is beautiful and the staff friendly, efficient and courteous. We had planned to go out in the evening but the room was so comfortable we just stayed in and enjoyed it! We ordered room service and the food was fantastic.
The pool and spa are lovely - we each had a treatment and the whole experience was luxurious. We felt we'd been away for a week not just a couple of days. Have recommended this hotel to all my friends and family.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank christineleicester
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at The Grand, it is an absolute pleasure to read your wonderful comments about your treatments and the hospitality of our team, they are here to make sure you have a memorable experience and they will take a lot of satisfaction to read that you enjoyed your time so much.

I also note your comments about room service, it is great to read that it helped create your 'perfect' night in, we hope this service will only get better as we have recently appointed our Head of In Room Dining from a top London 5 red star hotel and with other key Heads of Department joining our team it promises to be exciting times ahead at The Grand!!!

Scot
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Staff were very friendly and helpfull, room and bathroom very large and spotless, food in HQ restaurant excellent although service a little slow. Overall a luxurious and relaxing stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silvertravellers63
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your lovely feedback about your stay with us at The Grand, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Please be assured all of our team are encouraged to read Trip Advisor to see the feedback from our guests and I am sure they will all get a lot of satisfaction from reading your comments.

I do hope we will be able to look after you once again and look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand in the future.

Brighton
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Fantastic location in city of York, five star service and just beautiful room and service all round. Would highly recommend this hotel as a superb base for a stay in York.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your excellent feedback on Trip Advisor, it is fantastic to read that you enjoyed your time with us and our team extended their high levels of service and hospitality to you.

I do hope that you will get the opportunity to visit The Grand again in the near future.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2010

During our stay in York we visited the Cedar Court for Champagne Afternoon Tea for a small treat.

I rang the hotel a few days in advance and checked for the prices for their Champange Afternoon Tea. They quoted me £18.50 per person which I though is a good deal for a glass of Champagne, tea, cakes and sandwiches.

We arrived and I was very impressed with the decor of the hotel and the tea room. They thought about all the details and you feel like someone special when you are in this luxurious surroundings...

...until you meet the staff in the tea room. When we arrived we were greeted by a member of staff who seemed to be a bit moody and didnt make us feel very welcome. It took a while until they served us - and the staff was not as attentive as you would expect in a 5 star hotel. However, the sandwiches and cakes were wonderful - until we discovered a long hair!!!! We left most of our sandwiches and cakes.... The staff never questioned if there was anything wrong with it.

Once we got the bill we nearly suffered a heart attack. They charged us £24.95 instead of the quoted £18.50. I was very, very disappointed that they gave us wrong information prior our visit. £50 for Champagne Afternoon Tea for two was a bit above our budget.

We would not return or recommend this place unless the staff will be a bit more attentive and show the guests their smiles a bit more often. The discovery of the hair made me a bit worried and I'm not sure if I would eat there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissPreston
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 October 2010
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback about your recent visit to The Grand, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the luxurious surroundings of the hotel however it is disappointing to read that you didn’t enjoy your afternoon tea.

I am surprised to read that our team told you the wrong price for champagne afternoon tea as we have recently introduced this option to our offering and all of our team are aware of the price. I am also shocked to read you may have found a hair in the afternoon tea as this is not something that has happened before and as you have stated you did not bring this to our attention on the day, if you had we could have replaced this for you immediately. Please be assured I will discuss this with both our Executive Head Chef and Restaurant & Bars Manager as our afternoon tea is extremely popular and receives a high amount of praise from our guests.

I have seen from other posts that you intend to visit York again in December and I do hope you get the opportunity to visit The Grand once again and both I and the team look forward to welcoming you.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My friend and I booked a weekend stay in York and we chose to stay at the Cedar Court to try out York's first five star hotel and we are so glad we did, it was the perfect location for our weekend away. My friend was a little bit apprehensive because of some of the reviews she had read on Trip Advisor but we couldn't find one thing to fault our stay.

From the minute we arrived we felt like royalty! Upon arrival our car was parked by the valet service and our luggage was carried to our room.
Our room was grandeur - the only way to describe it - it was huge, and the bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was stocked with Molton Brown products and we had a roll top bath as well which I loved.

After a busy day shopping we retreated back to our room and then went for a swim and a jacuzzi in the hotel's spa. There were gorgeous mosaics on the walls of the pool area and beautiful statues along the poolside. The pool and jacuzzi were so inviting.
We also booked a spa treatment each. My friend had a facial and I had a body wrap which left my skin feeling amazing. We felt utterly rejuvenated and didn't want to leave.

The hotel has been decorated to a beautiful finish and has apparently been open only a few month so I imagine it can only get better. We particularly loved the bar area which was decorated with dark walls and big plush chairs, it felt so cosy. We will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Isobel_M
York
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I stayed overnight with a friend for her 50th birthday treat. Can't really falter the hotel itself except maybe the decor which was a little too brown for my liking. Still beds were comfortable and everything very new and clean. The spa itself is lovely. Could have done with some music though, especially in the relaxation room which is a little sparse (and brown!). My friend and I opted for the marine exfoliation treatment. I have had many treatments in my time and I can honestly say that this was one of the worst. We spent some time in the pool area before the treatment and decided to take a respite in the relaxation room before we were due our sessions. However they (the therapists) came to collect us 5/10 minutes earlier which meant that we didn't get as much of a wind down as planned. The 'treatment' consisted of lying down and having a 'marine' (I think this was to do with the colour than anything I noticed) gel 'slapped' on my body. This took 5 minutes.Then I was told to have a shower while she left the room. Ten minutes later the 'therapist' reappeared then spent the next 3 minutes slapping moisturiser on my body. 3 minutes!! Hardly a pampering treatment! I felt very irritated at this point but felt that I couldn't say anything for fear of spoiling it for my friend. It was disgraceful. I will write to the hotel headquarters as I would hate for anyone to waste their money on this treatment. They need therapists who care. Still, having said all of that we had a pleasant stay and I would recommend the hotel (but certainly not the treatments!).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank TrishNogent
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback about your recent visit to The Grand, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our beds comfortable, they really do provide a good nights sleep.

In response to your treatments in our Spa I am disappointed by your negative comments on this post and that if you are to write to us you have chosen this format first before contacting us. I have tried to contact you a couple of time by phone following our investigations about your comments and have not managed to speak to you.

I understand you wanted to change your treatment from a marine ‘rub’ to a massage however due to health reasons your therapist was unable to do this but did explain the treatment to you fully before it commenced. As you have stated the treatment does involve rubbing lotion onto your skin that then involves washing this off before applying another product and is not a massage treatment but a rub that uses products to improve your skin however I think wording such as ‘slap’ may be a little harsh. However if this did not meet your expectations please accept my sincere apologies and that on your next visit to The Grand you will be able to experience one of our massages and it is pleasing to read that you would recommend us in future.

I do hope you get the opportunity to visit The Grand once again and both myself and the team look forward to welcoming you.