“Stunning”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Whitby, United Kingdom
“Stunning”
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My fiance and I had such a wonderful stay that I just has to say what a fantastic experience we had at the hotel. It was our anniversary and we were delighted to have complimentary chocolates, fruit and a hand-written card delivered to us- it was an unexpected and delightful surprise. The quality of our room was superb; absolutely beautiful. We had a standard room but actually it felt like a deluxe one. There was so much space and the fixtures and fittings were of a very high standard. As for the bathroom- huge and with a big marble bath. Total luxury! I also wanted to mention how superb all the staff we came into contact with were. Without exception we found the staff courteous, helpful and welcoming. We had a wonderful weekend and have nothing but high praise for this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 November 2010
Dear Guest,

As I write this early in the morning may I say what a pleasant start to the day it is to read such positive comments about your stay, I am delighted you had the perfect anniversary with us. It is particularly pleasing to read that our team stood out during your stay, we are very proud of our 'Yorkshire' hospitality and when recruiting our team while looking for experience always put attitude and passion first to ensure we have a team who proactively look after our guests.

I do hope we can welcome you to The Grand on your next visit to York.

Scot Turner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Teesside
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This hotel is very easy to get to from the train station - just go out of the main entrance, turn left, follow the road round under the arch in the city wall and the beautiful building ahead of you is the hotel. Two minutes walk and you can't get lost.

This was my first stay in a 5*, so I can't compare it to others, however I was very satisfied with my stay.

I found the staff are friendly and polite, and nothing is too much trouble. The stairs, lifts, bar, corridor etc. were gorgeous, the room was luxurious and the bathroom was even more so... everywhere was spotlessly clean including the carpet.. I walked about in bare feet which I rarely do in hotels. We had a cafetiere, (proper coffee!) and a good selection of luxury tea bags, cookies, toiletries... and lots of options with the lighting. There were plenty of power points and the wireless internet worked perfectly.

At breakfasts the service was sporadic - sometimes very attentive and other times not, however I don't have any big complaints.

We didn't use the car valet service, spa, room service or eat any meal other than breakfast there, so I can't comment on those. There is a comfortable bar area which makes a great evening business meeting room.

I was very happy with my stay and am looking forward to staying there again when I return to York.

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your excellent review following your recent stay at The Grand, I am delighted to read that our team extended high levels of hospitality during your stay. We actively encourage our team to read the reviews posted on Trip Advisor and I am sure they will take great pride when reading your comments.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you to The Grand in the near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2010

stayed here for 2 nights for our 25th anniversary
one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in
staff were so friendly and accommodating nothing was too much trouble
rooms were spacious and clean
we will definitely be going back we did not want to leave
all in all a great weekend

Ashington
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights and absolutely loved every minute of it. The service was fantastic, room (executive) stunning, big and so comfortable and the staff so friendly and approachable. It was not cheap by any means but the feeling of satisfaction from our relaxing break made it worth every penny. My husband used the spa and found the lack of safety guidance a bit concerning, also lack of water available to drink while using sauna and lack of seating around pool area and outside sauna when he got overheated. I was just happy, happy, happy. Breakfasts were a real treat, we ate lunch with a guest in the restaurant and the food was superb, only criticism was food had been put on cold plates and the soup starter especially was not hot enough. Still enjoyed it a great deal. My only other bugbear was that on the hotel's own website all rooms are described as having 'sky, including sky sports' they do not and this is misleading. My husband was disappointed by this -if you don't have it, don't say you do! Altogether a fantastic experience which we will repeat in the near future. Keep it up!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 October 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your excellent feedback following your recent stay at The Grand, it is great to read that you had such a great experience with us and please be assured we will review your feedback to ensure we continually improve our product.

In reagrds to your comments about Sky Sports in the rooms, this was the case when Sky Sports News was broadcast on freeview, unfortunately as this was taken of air we have been left with no sports channels however we are currently looking into putting Sky Sports 1 -4 in the rooms with our communications supplier.

We are also reviewing your reference to safety signs around the sauna, when entering the Spa your husband will have been asked to sign in and will have had the opportunity to read safety guidlines about the pool area. We also have both a water fountain outside the pool and plastic bottles of water for the comfort of our guests, on your next visit please ask one of our team who will only be too happy to provide you with some refreshment to take into the sauna with you.

Once again many thanks for your comments and I do hope we can welcome you to The Grand in the near future.

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Stayed here for one night as a birthday treat, was upgraded to a wonderful suite. The hotel decor and quality is amazing, service is excellent. Would definately recommend. Would just ask that info about the spa or pool is given, either in the written information or verbally. However, this is a minor detail in an otherwise superb hotel.

1 Thank Faulkners_10
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 October 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic feedback following your stay at The Grand it is lovely to read that you regard us as the best hotel in York, that is our aim but more importantly it is more pleasing to read that your enjoyed your time with us, accolades are nothing if our guests expectations aren't met.

I can also confirm that I have just sent to print our revised guest directory now that the spa is fully open that will detail all you need to know on the facilities our spa offers as well as the treatments brochure being placed in every room this should more than cater for all you need to know, but if it isn't our team are here to help you and will be on hand if you need them.

On behalf of my team and I, we do hope we can welcome you back to The Grand in the near future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Just held a client dinner at this hotel. The staff were just excellent. Everything I asked for was delivered without fuss, quickly. The staff actually smile and seem to enjoy what they are doing. very professional, very efficient and a pleasure to be around. Very good quality facilities in this hotel and a superb location in York.

I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SG999
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent dinner at The Grand, it is nice to read your comments because as a guest from the local community it is nice to read that we exceeded your expectations. I am particularly pleased to note your comments about our team, we try and create a positive environment for our team and I can assure you they are all extremely passionate about our guests and I am sure they will take great pride from reading your comments.

I do hope it won't be long before you 'pop' in again and we look forward to welcoming you.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed here for a weekend break and as it was my birthday my husband informed the hotel prior to our arrival. I was delighted to recieve a gorgeous box of chocolates and abottle of bubbly with a birthday card on arrival in our room. The room itself was spotless and large with a huge bathroom. The staff were very friendly and the door staff in particular were extremely helpfull. We will definately be staying here again and would not hesitate in recommending the Hotel to others.

1 Thank wrexham123
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at The Grand it is great to log on and read such positive comments. In particular I am glad you enjoyed the goodies in your room to recognise your birthday, we always try and surprise our guests to make their welcome to the hotel that little bit special when they are here celebrating.

I do hope we can welcome you back to The Grand in the near future.