“Great location, beautiful building and facilities, helful staff”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Great location, beautiful building and facilities, helful staff”
Reviewed 29 October 2010

I just returned from a weekend in York with my wife and young family. We had a wonderful time, much enhanced by staying at the Cedar Court Grand. Its location just inside the walls makes it a perfect base for walkingthe old town. The building, the former offices of the North Eastern railway, are both beautifully refurbished and oozing history. The public areas are very grand and comfortable, the spa is a tremendous experience,, and our rooms were bcomfortable and characterful. The bathroom in particular, with its underfloor heating and double shower and sink were sumptuous. All in all we had a wonderful stay.

Only one complaint, but not a trivial one. The hotel struggled to accommodate all its guests for breakfast on botrh mornings of our stay. We were requested to wait awhile in the lounge before being seated. Despite relatively few people in the dining room, serivce was very slow, and on the second morning virtually non existent. We waited 45mins for coffee, and an hour for hot food. Not really acceptable in a hotel of this standard. Trying to cover some significant process failing under a mask of personal service was poor in my view.

The breakfast issue seemed to be a strange anomaly, because everything else about the stay was superb, staff, facilities and processes. The concierge staff in particular were very helpful and friendly, and I welcomed the managements agreement to refund the charge for breakfast on the second day, having acknowledged my complaint.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 November 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic review following your recent stay with us at The Grand, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our Concierge team stood out and were particularly helpful.

I am dissapointed that your breakfast meeting however did not match the expectations the hotel had set for you, as you state at peak times breakfast can become extremeley busy and due to limited seating at times guests may experience a small wait however we are constantly reviewing our procedures to try and limit this and as such have extended our breakfast times on busy days to enable a more steady flow of guests meaning breakfast can be more relaxed.

However I am glad this did not sour your visit too much and I that on your next visit to York you take the opportunity to visit us once again.

Scot Turner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
barnsley
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Excellent service on arrival, luggage taken straight away, porters, doorman, valet great.

First shown a room that was for a disabled person therefore tiny sink in bathroom, asked to have a room with bigger sink. There was not one ready so went out for a walk. On return shown to nice room, big bathroom and large sink!

Excellent mattress in bedroom. Cafetière, teapot, filter coffee, fridge with milk in, one bottle of sparkling water and one still. Two posh biscuits. Lush high ceiling. 2 x bathrobes, 2 x slippers, hairdryer, ironing board, umbrella, iron, TV 2 x phones, free wifi. Vanity fair magazine, tourist magazine.

Cocktails in bar, wonderfully made in front of you, very good.

Room service breakfast took 1 hour 45 mins to arrive!!I called again after 5omins and they had written our order down incorrectly. Later I put in a last reminder call as they had obviously forgotten about us. It arrived 20 mins later but no eggs or potatoes with the full English, or bread basket and no napkins. Obviously not acceptable for a 5 star! The breakfast was not on our room bill at the end, otherwise we would have chatted to them regarding this.

Had good room service dinner one night which was great.

Our bath plug was not working properly so phoned maintainence, they came within 2mins and it was fixed within 20min, well organised.

Saturday night very noisy on the street outside till about 3am!! Larger louts, maybe the other side of the hotel is quieter.

Note to management: - Excellent experience however to be a truly 5 star, as you will know that this end of the market expectations need to be met -info that you may find useful:
room service and cleaning needs more attention. Consistency i.e. one day there was a teapot, other day no teapot, so I put a tea bag straight into the cup. One day cups were on saucers the next day one was on a side plate. One day lots of green tea, next day none so I went out and bought my own. Toiletries in the bathroom were not consistent i.e. different size bottles and different things each day. Might be a good idea to put a drinks price menu in the room in your folder.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your excellent feedback following your recent stay at The Grand it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your arrival to the hotel stood out.

I am dissapointed to read however that you experienced problems with room service and I have disscussed this with our team to ensure that they learn from the rare occasions we do not fufil our high standards, it is also worth noting that we have recetnly recruited our Head of In Room Dining who starts with us this week from a 5 red star property in London who will ensure that our high standards are exceeded every time and offer a consistent offering to our guests at all times.

Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. The building has been fabulously renovated. The room was extremely spacious and luxurious, the service from all the staff was impeccable and the food (we only ate breakfast in the hotel) was delicious.
Not a single fault and everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
There are some fantastic deals available at the moment and you get sheer luxury for a very reasonable price.
I stay in a lot of hotels on business and this is probably the finest hotel I have ever stayed in. Highly recommended.

1 Thank StansOfStAnnes
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post such a wonderful review following your stay at The Grand, it is great to read that you consider our hotel to be one of the best you have visited. I do hope that on future visits to York we get the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Last minute idea to stay over in York and we had a fantastic time. Valet parking upon arrival took our car away as it wasnt needed again for the duration of our stay due to the excellent location. The building this hotel is based in gives you a feel of grandure from start to finish.

The rooms are perfect and you feel spoilt from the moment you enter! Our executive double room had a fabulous bathroom with double showers, double sinks very deep indulgent bath & underfloor heating,

The efficient professional service was faultless and the spacious sumptuous surroundings were worthy of 5 stars and more.

Would would strongly recommend this to anyone visiting York.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your fantastic review following your recent stay at The Grand it is wonderful to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that in particular our team stood out during your stay.

I am also delighted to read that you intend to return to us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand when you get the opportunity.

UK
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We decided to go to the Grand Cedar Court Hotel for my birthday and it had been recommended to us by my parents who stayed at the hotel when it first opened.
On arrival, we were greeted by the concierge who parked our car. At first glance, we were impressed by the hotel and pleased to be greeted in such a warm way.
We checked in later than day and were once again impressed with our room. It was fairly large, clean and comfortable.
Unfortunately, the following day, we encountered difficulties when we went for breakfast. We had paid for 2 days breakfast in advance but they did not have any record of this. They put it down to a computer error and we thought that it could just be a basic error. However, you don't generally expect these kinds of careless errors in a 5* hotel.
After a day of sightseeing, we returned to our hotel to find that our room hadn't been cleaned. We informed Reception immediately - they rectified the problem and cleaned our room later on that day. Once again, they claimed that it was a computer error as they thought we were checking out after one night.
To make matters worse, that evening, the toilet in our room malfunctioned and we couldn't flush it. Reception said that they would sort this out; however, the following morning it still didn't work properly and we had to resort to using the toilet near the restaurant. My husband and I have travelled all over the world and couldn't believe that we were unable to use basic facilities in a 5* hotel.
On our last day, we were also let down by the breakfast service. It took about 15 minutes for someone to take our order and we had to wait even longer for our food to be served. The food was delicious but we had waited far too long for it without any explanation whatsoever. Once again, you do not expect this to happen in a 5* hotel.
On departing the hotel, the Receptionist asked if we had had a good stay. We briefly discussed the problems we had encountered but she didn't seem willing to discuss them in any detail and simply blamed all our problems on a computer error. In fact, I truly believe that she just wanted us to go - she was rather cold and unable to empathise with customers.
Overall, we were disappointed by our experience at the Grand Cedar Court Hotel, especially given the fact that my parents had rated it so highly. We didn't want to believe some of the poor reviews on this website but unfortunately, we experienced some of the same problems. You would expect some of these difficulties in a 2*/3* hotel but certainly not in a 5* hotel where you are paying £150 a night.
To be honest, I wish we had stayed in a B and B. Nevertheless, I am sure some of you will have a wonderful experience like my parents did.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank genki27
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor, I do hope that you have received my email following your correspondence directly and I am dissapointed that following your stay in August you chose Trip Advisor to post your concerns before writing to me to answer your issues.

As discussed in the email, we did have a number of issues at the time with our reception team not being proactive in dealing with guest issues on the rare occasion they arose but in the 3 months since your stay we have new personnel in this area and new Front of House Manager leading the team who if the occasion does arise ensures a member of the management team resolve any guest issues before leaving the hotel.

I do hope that if you visit York in future that you will stay with us once again and we look forward to welcoming you.

Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We booked a 3 night stay (Wed-Fri) to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday on bed and breakfast basis and we were not disapppointed. Service was great (including Valet parking, although parking itself is not free), fantastic building, massive bedrooms and very friendly and courteous staff. The location is perfect for exploring all that York has to offer. Ironically, the only drawback was partly due to the location - every night our sleep was disturbed by rowdy, drunken behaviour in the streets surrounding the hotel. We eventually resorted to using ear-plugs - which worked for us. Could I suggest the hotel installs secondary double-glazing in the bedrooms - I noticed this was already the case in some windows?

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your excellent feedback following your recent stay with us at The Grand, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your wife's 50th birthday celebrations and that our staff extended high levels of hospitality throughout your stay however I am dissapointed your nights sleep was affected by noise generated beyond our control, we are currently looking into preventative measures with in the rooms to try and eliminate this as well as speaking to York City Council about policing this area more closely.

I do hope that on your next visit to York you will have the opportunity to stay with us once again.

Derby
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Hotel very convenient for Station and City Centre.
Staff - without exception are smart and very professional and friendly
Rooms - clean, tidy, very well appointed.
However: if all you want for breakfast is some coffee and toast, you're still charged circa £15 per person for it, which is pushing it a bit, even for 5 stars!
And the downside is a constant parade (on both Friday and Saturday nights we were there) of drunks wandering around outside shouting - until 04:00am on both nights. If you can't close your ears to this, then you may be in for a disturbed stay. Nothing the hotel can do, but perhaps they need to warn people they are situated close to a throughfare between bars/clubs.
Perhaps during week nights this wouldn't be a problem.

1 Thank Helen100Derby
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay, I am dissapointed to read that your nights sleep was affected by noise generated beyond our control, please be assured we are speaking to York City Council to try and eliminate this somewhat however is difficult if passers by do not have respect for the local residents.

On a positive note I am delighted to read that despite this you enjoyed your stay and in particular our team stood out during your stay, I am sure they will take great pride in reading your comments.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope that on your next visit to York we can welcome you to The Grand once again.