I just returned from a weekend in York with my wife and young family. We had a wonderful time, much enhanced by staying at the Cedar Court Grand. Its location just inside the walls makes it a perfect base for walkingthe old town. The building, the former offices of the North Eastern railway, are both beautifully refurbished and oozing history. The public areas are very grand and comfortable, the spa is a tremendous experience,, and our rooms were bcomfortable and characterful. The bathroom in particular, with its underfloor heating and double shower and sink were sumptuous. All in all we had a wonderful stay.
Only one complaint, but not a trivial one. The hotel struggled to accommodate all its guests for breakfast on botrh mornings of our stay. We were requested to wait awhile in the lounge before being seated. Despite relatively few people in the dining room, serivce was very slow, and on the second morning virtually non existent. We waited 45mins for coffee, and an hour for hot food. Not really acceptable in a hotel of this standard. Trying to cover some significant process failing under a mask of personal service was poor in my view.
The breakfast issue seemed to be a strange anomaly, because everything else about the stay was superb, staff, facilities and processes. The concierge staff in particular were very helpful and friendly, and I welcomed the managements agreement to refund the charge for breakfast on the second day, having acknowledged my complaint.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prestigia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Odigeo, Ebookers, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa