“Friendly staff and lovely food”
Review of La Cremeria - CLOSED

La Cremeria
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Ice cream parlour and light lunches
Durham, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff and lovely food”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have visited La Cremeria on a number of occasions now. It is a cosy place with a very friendly feel. Being a creature of habit I always order the same, soup and a mozzarella & pesto toastie. The soup is homemade and has been different yet equally as tasty on each of my visits. I do not often eat a lot of sweet things however I have sampled the ice cream here and it was very nice indeed. Staff are always welcoming, friendly and accommodating.

• Visited February 2014

Fairhope, Alabama
“Amazing Ice Cream and Wonderful Service”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

While on a recent trip to York from Durham. Near High Petergate we stumbled across the most amazing find, La Cremeria. Tucked away along this ancient road is a most magical ice cream shop.

Owner and chief chef Mark Shenton begins his days very early crafting the most delicious and unusual blends of ice cream. He suggested a few of his most popular blends to us. I chose the Earl Grey and Lemon blend. I love Earl Grey Tea and this ice cream was surprising, refreshing and very creamy. Rob had Toffee ice cream and the kids (less adventurous) chose Chocolate and Vanilla.

Mark brought around a few more samples for us to try since we were so excited about these blends. We tried Apple, Peach and Bramble. The Apple tasted like all the flavours from a Dutch Apple Pie had been squeezed into one flavourful burst and magically turned into ice cream. My daughter tried the Peach and said It had such an authentic taste that summer time pictures ran through her head after tasting it.

Some of the wonderful and unusual flavours Mark creates are:

Pistachio (which I also sampled and tastes nothing like traditional pistachio ice cream, very amazing)

Pear and Stilton,

Wenslydale and Orange,

Pear and Parsnip

Toffee and Bacon

Strawberry and Beetroot

Curried Banana

Dry Roasted Peanut

and…wait for it …Brown Crab Meat

The list goes on and on. I must say even if the name sounds unusual you must try a taste because his flavour combinations are just unbelievable. Mark specialises in homemade ice cream, hand crafted cakes, gluten-free foods and freshly ground coffee.

La Cremeria has grown in popularity so much that they are building another restaurant nearby. There they will have four floors, two of which will be restaurant. It will, of course, host an ice cream parlour as well. Mark will have more space to further develop specialty ice cream cakes. We can not wait for our next trip to neighbouring York to see what flavour the day holds.

• Visited March 2014
“A jewel in the Crown of York”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Stumbled across this dinky cafe on a cold day and despite the temperature, the kids fancied ice cream! We were warmly welcomed inside and all fancied a waffle with ice cream. It was absolutely gorgeous and the highlight of a fabulous day out!

I look forward to visiting the new premises and hope business is great!

Beverley, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff - amazing icecreams.”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We have now visited La Cremeria several times and have never been disappointed. Mark the owner is friendly and always makes time for you. Today we had soup and sandwiches which were delicious, and finished with a chocolate brownie to share with three varieties of ice cream - rhubarb and custard, wensleydale and marmalade and vanilla.

• Visited February 2014
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Amazing Ice cream!!

The staff are always welcoming and friendly. I haven't eaten here but the coffee and ice creams keep me coming back. After meeting Mark (the owner) in town a few days ago and expressing our disappointment at not being able to leave our site to visit the café, a takeaway magically appeared shortly later with his compliments.

Now that's service that takes some beating!!!

• Visited January 2014