“Awful service never to visit again”
Review of Le Langhe - CLOSED

Le Langhe
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Booked the table for 12:00, there were lots of table free but they made us wait to clear and reset the only table being used. We asked for a corner table but we were told that we could not have it because it was for three people, later given to a couple. We ordered two meats and cheese selection and a bottle of Nebbiolo. Food was served fairly quickly and so was the wine. The place was not that busy but once offered the wine no one came to pour it. You would expect more for what they charge for the wine! We did not like the two cheeses on the plate and when we flagged to the waiter we were told that that was the cheeses of the day and that they could not change it. No choice ever given or neither we were informed. The waiter was arrogant and patronising and the service awful. At the end of the service we we were usher away to the pdq machine so that they could reuse the table. A lunch for two (two cold meat platters and a bottle of red wine) for just under £40. What we remember? Poor service, average food and arrogant and patronised waiter. Never to go back again. Would not recommend it!

4  Thank Salv P

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was our second visit to le langhe. We had gone about 4 weeks ago with some friends and had a lovely experience. So much so that we have been raving about the place to everyone. Our only gripe at the time was the confusing menu.

We decided to return with some other friends. I phoned last Saturday night to book a table to be told by a member of staff that he "doesn't have time to make table reservations and told me to ring back on Monday". Anyway, I did! However when we arrived today we were informed that there was no booking, but luckily they had room for us...We had a lovely starter of mixed meats, cheeses, breads. Lovely start to the meal. When our mains arrived, our friend had ordered the chicken pasta and immediately said "this is not chicken". We then all tried her meal and agreed that it did not seem like chicken. We assumed that they had brought the wrong meal out and called over a waiter. When the waiter arrived we explained that the order seemed wrong. He went away and never returned. We then asked another waiter what was happening with the meal, she went off and another waiter arrived and explained that it was infact chicken. We explained to him that the texture and taste did not seem like chicken and he assured us it was. Our friend then said that she was sorry but that she just could not eat the pasta. The waiter then removed her plate. At no point was she asked if she would like a replacement meal, we were just left. It appeared that because of our complaint, all the waiters just decided to ignore us. When my husband went to speak to a waiter to ask if the meal would be on the bill, he was told that it would be. He explained that the chef had said it was chicken and that was that. My husband explained how much we had previously enjoyed coming here and that if the meal was on the bill, we would not be able to tip. Which would have been more than the meal anyway. The waiter said that his hands were tied.

What was most upsetting was the service. The only time our friend was asked if she would like something else was when we had all finished and were sat waiting for the bill. We had been completely ignored. At no point were we asked if we wanted a desert or coffees. I had to go to find a waiter to let them know that we would like some coffee. The meal was on the bill and we did pay for it but did not leave a tip.

We were so disappointed and embarrassed as we had been raving about this restaurant to our friends for weeks. We were so looking forward to going back. We eat out ALOT, both high-end and low-end and have never experienced service like it. Will we go back........for them to spit in our food following this review........probably ;-)

3  Thank YorkLucy
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I am a great fan of Observer food critic Jay Rayner and having read his glowing review of Le Langhe a couple of weeks ago I vowed that I must try this little deli/bistro. I normally avoid Italian restaurants in the UK like the plague having been so disappointed in the past. I have tended to find that their fare bares at much resemblance to authentic Italian cuisine as a doner kebab does to lamb!

However my friend and I went for lunch today spurred on by Jay's enthusiastic review and we were not disappointed, Firstly the ambience of the place was great. The dining area downstairs was full so we were shown upstairs where there was, at that point, only one other table occupied. But such is the relaxed atmosphere that this didn't matter. Our waiter was a charming young Italian who couldn't do enough for us but was not intrusive or annoying.

We decided to go for the starter and pasta deal which was a snip at £12.95. I had the toasted focaccia with a trio of dips to start. The handmade bread was beautifully light and came with three little pots, one filled with creamy, gentle gorgonzola, the next with homemade sundried tomato pesto and the last with a selection of minced salami bound together with olive oil and garlic. They were all absolutely delicious. My friend had the lentil, bean and pancetta soup which she said was delicious - earthy with porcini mushroom and deeply savoury with the bacon. This all boded well but it was the pasta that I was worried about. In most of the Italian restaurants I have eaten in outside of London the pasta used is invariably dried and seems to be served up by the kilo; a soggy, sorry mess drowned in bland, heavy unidentifiable cream sauces of some kind or another which leave you feeling like Mr Creosote after his wafer thin mint.

My friend ordered the pasta with goats cheese and roasted pumpkin whilst I opted for the game ragu pasta. I was so pleased with my choice. It was fantastic and reminded me of what proper homemade pasta should taste and feel like. It was so light and silky smooth, topped with a wonderfully meaty and rich ragu of game. The pasta was the star of the show in as much as the sauce was there to dress the pasta which is as it should be. There was just enough ragu to cling to the pasta and not, as is often the way in this country, presented as a huge pile of meat dumped on the top of a mound of spaghetti. So even though this sounds like a rich dish, it was not overwhelming and was just the right amount for lunch. Even the parmesan grated over the meal was good! My friend enjoyed her pumpkin and goats cheese too which she said was sweet and creamy and again she was blown away by the quality of the pasta.

We had two courses each plus 2 drinks and our bill came to £30 which, given the quality of what we had, is a bit of a steal. I would definitely go back again and would love to try the evening menu next time with friends or family, If you enjoy good food then I can't recommend Le Langhe enough. Congratulations to all involved for bringing a bit of Tuscany to York.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Had lunch with my sister here today
We were greeted by a really friendly waiter. Always a Good start!
We opted to share a cheese board with olives, oil & bread.finished off with a good coffee.
We really enjoyed it. Set us up for an afternoon of shopping.
My sister who was visiting York from afar was very impressed!
The staff were delightful!
Will definitely go again

1  Thank BBee51
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Ate here on Saturday evening. Warm, welcoming and with a great atmosphere. Our calves liver was divine - probably the best we have ever had - complemented by interestingly prepared and presented sides of purple carrots, potatoes dauphinois and cabbage with pancetta. The service was professional and friendly and attentive. We also enjoyed a pannetone bread and butter pudding and a yogurt pannacotta and coffees. We would highly recommend this restaurant. We will be back when we next visit York.

1  Thank mrsmills55