“Good value, good food”

Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A unique bar and restaurant set in the heart of the city amongst ancient picturesque streets. We have a great reputation for quality food and drink. During the day The Slug And Lettuce York is a family friendly hub for breakfasts, lunches and coffee. In the evening we transform into a vibrant cocktail bar and a great meeting place for those after-work drinks. We also have a beer garden ideal for relaxing afternoons.
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Wandering around York looking for somewhere to eat and having checked a few menus out my girlfriend and I chose the slug and lettuce.
Service was prompt and courteous.
Menu choice was good and had an interesting sliced vegetable squares cover.
We shared vegetarian nachos for starters, it arrived hot with plenty of jalapenos, crème fraiche, guacamole, salsa and mozzarella cheese.
Then shared a main meal of one goats cheese tostada flatbread (which is like a square thin base pizza) with sweet potato fries.
The fries were nice and hot with a garlic mayo dip and were light and tasty.
But we were both overfull before we had emptied the plates.
Despite being Easter Friday tea time the place was quiet, so little atmosphere.
We would recommend eating here, and we would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

After visiting a branch in Edinburgh we were looking forward to a good meal here, but were disappointed. We visited on an afternoon and the restaurant was busy but were soon seated and a drinks order taken and delivered. We then waited for the food order to be taken, but eventually had to ask if we could order some food and my husband and I ordered the steak pie with red wine gravy and then waited and waited. Eventually I asked a passing waitress if we were going to get any food and off she went and came back quickly with our order, which appeared to have been standing under a hot lamp for quite a while as the gravy, mash and peas were both dried out on the top. However on eating the steak pie which was very sweet, the pastry seemed undercooked so was not a meal I would rush to repeat. We intended having a dessert but once again waited and waited and even had to ask for the bill twice. We were disappointed with the food and the service and were also very surprised that a large group of very noisy football supporters on their way to a match, were allowed into what we thought was a restaurant and not a pub.

1  Thank Deborah F
Reviewed 30 March 2014

my Daughter treated me to Mothers day Lunch and having been here before, was looking forward to a lovely salad. i ordered the Cajun chicken salad and was very unhappy at what was supposed to be chicken strips but tasted like dried out meat( totally unchewable! ) .I sent it back and on its return they'd taken the chicken off to be replaced with slighty better chicken but sprinkled with dried Cajun seasoning.! The taste was not good at all . In my view the chicken should have been cooked in the seasoning not sprinkled over already cooked chicken that wasnt up to its best anyway . I couldnt send it back again as we had to be somewhere else later . Suffice to say I wont be going again .

1  Thank carolsue1121952
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Great place for food, always meal and drink deal on all week.Value for money ,great service and atmosphere.Down side is the decor could do with upgrade some area,s look a bit grotty.But don't let that put you off.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

We had just eaten over the road and saw a sign outside advertising 2 for one cocktails.
We fancied a drink so though we would give it a whirl.
There was a lovely lady who was learning the ropes being trained by who I can only assume was the manager. The drinks were excellent, (we sampled 10 different cocktails between us), the young lady very attentive and made some good drinks.

Nice place with a chilled atmosphere. Worth a visit if you're in town.